Running and losing weight?

UGAFan0829

DIS Veteran
Just wondering if there's any of you runners who have been able to lose weight by running and not changing your diet at all. I'm not saying that it should be tried, just wondering how many have been able to do it whether they were trying to or not.

My DD lost 17 lbs in about 5 months by just running for 30 minutes each day on the treadmill without changing her eatting habits one bit. If she was busy with homework she would skip a few days but just got back to it ASAP.

I've been running for nearly 2 years. Several half marathons later and I still weigh about the same. It is different for everyone but for me I have to make a very determined effort to lose any weight by cutting calories, etc. At least I am in better shape. :) I didn't take up running to lose weight though. But I would like to lose 15-20 if I could.

I started running to train for the Princess 1/2 and to lose the weight that I gained after having my DS. I haven't really changed my diet per se, but if I run for 30mins in the evening I am not likey to grab some cookies or chips right afterwards so things have changed a bit. I am losing the weight and that motivates me to keep running and not overindulge because I like the results I'm getting!

I've found running to be beneficial, but not a consistent source of weight loss alone for me. It's tough because to maintain being active, you want to consume more calories, but at the same time, you want to watch how much, and it's a big annoying cycle. I asked at my Doc's just to see his opinion, and he assured me that as you keep at it, you will end up burning more than you consume as your body adapts. He's a long term marathoner, so I'll trust that opinion and be patient.. we shall see!

I started running 2 years ago, when I started I was borderline obese so it was getting bad. I thought I would loose weight when I started running but I only lost 5 lbs. in the first 8 months of running. So I added Weight Watchers and lost an additional 25 lbs. in the next 3 months! So for me diet works better than exercise for weight loss. I will say that I could tell my tushie was getting firm before I lost weight so running is great for toneing your body, but if you have weight to loose add a great diet like Weight Watchers to your work outs!

I think tha thou will find that running alone and "not changing your diet at all" may create a small loss but not as much as one would think. Your greatest chance of losing with just aerobic activity is if you are starting from a very sedentary life.

For a nice loss and one that is permanent, one really needs to attack the triangle of cardio, strength and diet (diet in the sense of balanced nutrition, not the common vernacular of "I am on one"). Cardio opens the pipes, strength ups the metabolism and diet feeds the engine.

I gained 10 pounds when I started running. It was instantaneous and I haven't lost it yet. Freaky.

I ran for 2 years without any real sustained weight change. After two years and my first half marathon, I decided I could do anything I set my mind to, admitted i had a problem with food and was going to need some sort of accountability in order to see a long term change. I've been maintaining a 65 pound loss for over 2 years now. Activity helps with that, but it is still not a license to eat anything I want.

I believe it is 80% food, 20% activity, so it makes sense to focus on both, but to lose weight without at least being aware of food choices and especially quantity is unlikely, at least for me.

I lost 35 lbs. by running and didn't change my diet. However, I made very sure that my diet wasn't truly changing (for the worse). It's very easy to start eating more or more unhealthy when you run. Also, I was running 5 times a week (3-5 miles 4 times a week and then a long run of 6-9 miles on the weekend once I could) and really pushing myself. I don't think I would've lost the weight if I was just lightly jogging a mile or two 3 times a week. Hope that helps! :goodvibes

I have been running for about 3 years and didn't lose any weight until just recently, when I started training for the 2012 WDW Marathon. I lost about 5 pounds through training alone (over about a 4-month period of time). I just started WW and after the first week I have already lost 2 more. So put me firmly in the camp that running alone may create a small weight loss, but combining it with a change in diet, and therefor making an overall healthy lifestyle change, is the way to go. :thumbsup2

I cannot lose weight with running alone. I must change my diet. In fact, if I don't watch it, I'll gain weight when training for a marathon. After running a 20 mile run, I'm starving and will eat the house apart for 2 days. :confused3

DH lost about 15 lbs when he first started running but he was eating healthy and doing Wii exercises at the same time. He has run several 1/2's and 2 full marathons and has gained back all of it. His typical week is to run 2 days of shorter runs (6-10 miles) and on Sunday run longer distances (15-25 miles).

What you are eating matters. I can't watch him all the time, nor will I since he's an adult and knows what he needs to do.

I've been running for a while, and I have never really seen a weight loss from just running. Whenever I'm able to lose weight it's because I work on my diet as well as making sure I stay on top of my fitness. I think running is good for maintenance and cardio, but unless you're constantly pushing yourself harder and harder, I don't think you're going to get a big change very easily.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter