Running costumes

I was curious about this, so I tried with one of my HikerChic skirts (this one, in fact) yesterday morning. If you don't mind kind of rolling the waistband over part of the shorts waist/hip area but still under the skirt (not visible then), you can wear the skirt on your hips (or at least I could) without having the crotch sag. The only issue is that the shorts are then quite a bit shorter than the skirt. On me, by doing this, the skirt fell to just below my knees, but results may vary for others depending on leg length. It didn't seem to be less comfortable than normal, but I also didn't run with it set up like that. You could probably secure the waistband rolled over the shorts with a few reinforced darts/stitches. The other thing you may want to consider is that I think Sparkle Skirts do take custom orders, so if you really want one of their skirts but longer, this might be an option. Good luck!

Thanks for checking it out! Just below the knee is pretty much exactly where I want it, so that would be perfect. It sounds like it might be worth trying if I can get my hands on one. Although a custom order is also something I'm thinking about.

i did princess atta one year. in addition to the crown, i wore a purple dri-fit t-shirt, purple leggings, and the light purple sparkle light skirt. it was a bit sloppy but i'm just impressed with myself for keeping the crown on for 13.1 miles.

999839_10102173194827199_1701438232_n.jpg

i did princess atta one year. in addition to the crown, i wore a purple dri-fit t-shirt, purple leggings, and the light purple sparkle light skirt. it was a bit sloppy but i'm just impressed with myself for keeping the crown on for 13.1 miles.

View attachment 116546

I love that crown!!!
I could never wear a tiara/crown/ears for exactly that reason - I don't think I could keep it on. I'm so impressed that you were able to do it!

Looking for some feedback/advice as someone with no costume running experience and little to no sewing/costuming ability.

As I said earlier in this thread, I am planning on running the 5K leg of the Dopey Challenge as Eeyore as my first costume. I'm not super worried about this as I think I am just combining a hat with some similar colored and slightly altered sweats to make it running friendly. Any suggestions would still be welcome though.

The bigger question mark is my sister and I are now planning on doing the Half Marathon in costume with her running as Vanellope from Wreck-It Ralph. I am considering running as either Ralph (the, relatively, easier choice) or Taffyta (the more memorable/less common choice). I am pretty sure I could put together a pretty good Ralph costume and, even though I'm not particularly tall, physically I bear a pretty decent resemblance to Ralph; so I think it would work nicely. On the other hand, if I could somehow figure out how to pull off the Taffyta costume. . .

I know that guys running at Disney in sparkle skirts, tutus, etc. is pretty commonplace, so I don't really want to put in the effort to just be another guy running in a pink skirt. So I guess my questions are a) which character? b) how likely am I to actually be able to put together a decent costume of that character?, c) Will running 13.1 miles in said costume be advised? and d) any suggestions as to where to look/how to begin assembling a decent costume (regardless of which character)?

Any and all answers/feedback for any questions (including those that are not explicitly stated) will be appreciated.

That's what I figured.
I do this a lot with skirts - wear skirts that are supposed to be worn on the waist on my hips - but my skirts don't generally have shorts underneath. I think I tried it once with shorts (as part of a Mickey Mouse costume, actually), and it didn't work.
I was hoping I'd get good news, but I'm not surprised that it wouldn't work.

I use SparkleAthletic skirts because I like to wear capris under them and do not want build in shorts. I'm very particular about my leg wear. These skirts are best worn on your hips. It even has instructions on the web about this. I've had no issue with them budging when worn at the hip. I wear all my tanks and tshirts at a length where they go over my waist anyways, so it does not look odd. I cannot chime in on other brands because I have not tried them.

edited: because I just saw you want the skirt length longer. SparkleAthletic skirts are on the short side. More for flare then to cover up much. Nevermind!!!

I use SparkleAthletic skirts because I like to wear capris under them and do not want build in shorts. I'm very particular about my leg wear. These skirts are best worn on your hips. It even has instructions on the web about this. I've had no issue with them budging when worn at the hip. I wear all my tanks and tshirts at a length where they go over my waist anyways, so it does not look odd. I cannot chime in on other brands because I have not tried them.

edited: because I just saw you want the skirt length longer. SparkleAthletic skirts are on the short side. More for flare then to cover up much. Nevermind!!!

I actually really love the Sparkle Athletic skirts (or at least I love how they look and that you can wear whatever you want underneath), but there is no way to make them long enough for me :(
I have thought about buying two and trying to sew them together to see if that works, but that would just be a horrible thing to do to such a beautiful sparkly skirt.

Since this is going to be almost like a "homecoming" experience for me (first time back at Disney since I was a kid in the late 90s), I know one thing: I want to pay tribute to the EPCOT I remember, and the rides/exhibits that honestly had a significant role in shaping my life as I know it today (played a big role in getting me into my STEM career).

So, the plan is to wear one of those retro EPCOT shirts for the marathon leg of the Dopey.

I thought I would post some of my runDisney costumes...

At the WDW Marathon weekend 5K last year (also known as the coldest race known to man!!!) I ran as the Queen of Hearts. nobody really saw it though because I ended up with another layer over the top given it was so miserable out.

DSC01618_zps4wkenqhk.jpg

I then headed west for Star Wars weekend, I ran the 10K as Darth Vader...

DSC01619_zpsmy0uwlnc.jpg

I then backed up the half as Luke Skywalker

DSC01617_zpscw1nb4a2.jpg

Haven't got a costume as yet for Wine & Dine, but I think i have now sorted the Jingle Jungle 5K

DSC01622_zps3etzljv5.jpg

For Avengers I have two of my costumes sorted. For the 5K I am going to do Scarlet Witch

DSC01620_zpsitdhhxhg.jpg

And then for the 10K, given it was named after Captain America, I thought that may be the way to go.

DSC01621_zpstvfnjofg.jpg

For the half, I think I might wear some regular black running gear I have that looks a lot like the Black Widow's outfit - as I know that will be comfortable.

Almost all of the costumes (except Jingle Jungle) above came from Etsy shops This Princess Runs and I Glow Running. both did a great job designing and making what I was looking for (everything above except one was a custom order) and the Star Wars ones were really comfortable, even for 13.1. Having a costume made from the right material to run in makes a huge difference.

If anyone has any great ideas for W&D I would love to hear them! At the moment it is looking like the race shirt and a sparkle skirt.

I have a minnie mouse sparkle athletic skirt size medium. Anyone have a purple.one they are willing to trade?

I just bought the fabric to make a trial skirt which I may use in the 10k for Princess if it comes out okay. I don't have a sewing machine though so I'll be hand sewing it. I'll post pictures if it works out.

I actually really love the Sparkle Athletic skirts (or at least I love how they look and that you can wear whatever you want underneath), but there is no way to make them long enough for me :(
I have thought about buying two and trying to sew them together to see if that works, but that would just be a horrible thing to do to such a beautiful sparkly skirt.

There is this tutorial that I imagine you can lengthen.
https://daisyfrancesca.wordpress.com/2013/03/14/running-skirt-diy-style/

I'm probably going to hit up a group or two on Facebook as well, but have any men here done any face/body paint for running? Or any ladies who know men who have? I've come across one blog detailing some good paints and using some kind of setting spray, but for the purpose of our costume ideas I'm curious how the paints might work with facial hair. I'll eventually figure it out firsthand whenever testing things on a run but figure it can't hurt to send the question out into space here :)

Hey guys I said I'd post the skirt when I was done. It's not perfect since I hand sewed it (I may borrow a machine next time) but it only cost $6.50 so it works for me.
wb7751o.jpg

Not sure if I'm actually going to end up using this for a runDisney event but I wanted to make sure I could do it.

Looks great! Love the color!
Thanks! It's a bit short because I only got 1yd of fabric and I have wide hips but I used the tutorials mentioned above so if you measure what you need before you go (I did not) then you should be able to make it to the length you desire.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter