Running half marathon alone

firstwdw

DIS Veteran
Newbie here so forgive this if it is a silly question. Do most folks run with a group, friends, family meaning it would be awkward to do the Dark Side half marathon alone? (family would be along for the vacation/parks etc but not running the race).

I've run almost every race I've ever run by myself. I don't think that it's awkward at all. I get to move at my own pace and I've always viewed a race as an individual experience (I know this can be different at Disney). A lot of people run in groups, but I'd say the majority are like me and run solo.

Newbie here so forgive this if it is a silly question. Do most folks run with a group, friends, family meaning it would be awkward to do the Dark Side half marathon alone? (family would be along for the vacation/parks etc but not running the race).

It isn't awkward at all. I did the Dark Side Half alone the last two years (and I didn't even bring my family with me). I did run the Dark Side 10k this year with a friend, but I was just taking that race easy to save my effort for the half. BTW, even most of my local races, I do alone.

Good responses already. I'll just add that I do all my races, local and Disney, alone. I like the freedom to set my own pace and not feel obligated to either slow down when someone else struggles or have to push harder than I am comfortable with if I'm not having a good race. The only time I wish that I had someone there is during the pre-race wait for corrals due to the early nature of the races. Even then, this board generally has folks meeting up pre-race, so there's an opportunity for socialization to make the time go a bit quicker. Run on your own and enjoy!

I think that's a good question. I'm running my first RD event next year (dopey). I'm running the half marathon with my daughter and by then I hope to have worked out the logisitics. For the rest of the weekend I hope to find some friendly people at my hotel to tag along with on the buses. However, I intend to run these races alone because I think I will need to control my pace.

Not awkward at all. I've done many races alone. As others said there is a freedom to being able to follow your own pace. You also don't have to worry about the bathroom schedules of others (like should I stop and wait or just keep going and hope the person catches up?) or whether or not they want to stop for photos, etc. I find that at any races, not just runDisney people are very welcoming and you can always strike up a conversation with someone pre-race if you want to talk. I will say the one downside I always find is my races are far more of a mental battle when I run them alone. I think Disney is especially great to run alone in that regard because there is so much going on you have a focus other than 'how much farther to the finish?'.

I think that's a good question. I'm running my first RD event next year (dopey). I'm running the half marathon with my daughter and by then I hope to have worked out the logisitics. For the rest of the weekend I hope to find some friendly people at my hotel to tag along with on the buses. However, I intend to run these races alone because I think I will need to control my pace.

And we'll put together pre-race, post-race, and during the day meet ups too! So if you want someone to hang with there will be lots of options at marathon weekend!

I've run all my Disney races alone. It seems all the people I know are faster than I am. At Tink I met several other people in my corral that were running alone.

I just ran the Darkside challenge alone (and F&W 1/2 too) - i would rather than have to worry about / keep track of / or keep up with someone else. Family was there to cheer and get post race photos, and you meet all kinds of people in lines, in corrals, and during the races.

Do most of my races alone. I have joined pace groups here and there and that is a nice change.

Most of my friends have faster paces than me, and while I appreciate them offering to slow down, I want them to have a good run as well. Never felt awkward or weird. I also have gone to race weekends solo, so there is that. hahaha but with meetups from here and my running group, there are always people around if I want.

Happy training!

In my experience, there are a lot more participants running in groups at runDisney races than others but there's a still a good population of us individual runners. Like others have said, I run most races alone so it really was no different to me.

I did overhear a pretty rude comment at the PHM in 2015 assuming those that ran alone had no friends. Honestly, I felt sorry for her. I can't imagine needing a friend to enjoy a race through the most magical place on earth.

While my brother runs the races too, I always run them alone, we run totally different paces. I've never felt awkward. Lots of single runners out there & you aren't ever really alone since there's so many other runners. Also, it's pretty easy to strike up conversations with strangers.

I've both run races alone and with family/friends. I find conversation to be a great distraction during longer events, and I have no problem chatting with strangers during a race. I've even met people during races from the same area or who knew family members of mine. For example, during the Disney Marathon last year I started chatting with a random runner who lived less than 20 miles away from my home and was in the same triathlon club as my brother and his wife, and was good friends with them! Small world! Nothing at all awkward about running a Disney race alone. Most runners are pretty friendly and are happy to chat to help pass the time.

I've run several races with friends/family, but most of the time, I run races alone! The atmosphere at Disney races has been very supportive and welcoming, and most people are very friendly. Hopefully this doesn't come off sounding too corny: I enjoy the feeling that I'm a small part in the sea of humans running together, and that while I may be out there solo, I am also running among 20,000 friends of my favorite Mouse.

For the rest of the weekend I hope to find some friendly people at my hotel to tag along with on the buses.

For the most part I personally find that most people around me are in their own worlds. They are either talking with the people they came with in person, or they are talking with people via their phone, or napping. And I promise I'm way less prickly in person than I come across in typing LOL.

While there are many out there running alone (even if they came with others), they don't ever seem to be sitting near me. :)

The one cool moment was when I ended up in the corral for the 10K in Feb with a woman I'd been on the plane with from Seattle. It was really weird!

It seems all the people I know are faster than I am.

Same. Why are they all so fast? And after causing a blood blister and unaccustomed soreness in my brother from running about half his pace, and slowing my dear friend down and causing her pain that she doesn't normally have (her very next run was a sub 2 hour Half), I called it quits for running with faster people.

Only to find out that my brand new to running cousin that I do Princess with is ALSO faster than me. Sigh!

I did overhear a pretty rude comment at the PHM in 2015 assuming those that ran alone had no friends.

And here I thought 2016 Princess brought the nasty out in people!

I plan on running 3/4th of Dopey solo. I have 2 college buddies who live in Tampa and are going to come over and run the half with me, and keep me from going too fast and burning out before the 26.2.
I'm super excited about having them for that one but also excited to enjoy the other 3 on my own and have my very own, unique experience doing it.

I did my first runDisney race alone, although not by intention, and it was a fantastic experience. It didn't feel awkward at all. I had signed up with a friend and was planning to run with her, but I ended up with a hip issue that dictated I walk instead of run. We did the corral thing together, but as soon was we crossed the start line, she started running, and I started walking. There is so much going on around you at these races that it's not boring to be on your own at all. And as others have said, for the most part, the other racers are super friendly. I've since recruited a friend to walk the 1/2s with me, and I will say that I prefer the companionship of doing the races with a like-minded friend, but I would definitely be open to doing another on my own. In fact, I signed up for this year's Dark Side kind of at the last minute thinking I would be making a solo trip to WDW and doing a solo race, but at the even later last minute, my friend signed up too, so we ended up doing the trip and race together. But it never occurred to me not to do a race I wanted to do simply because I would be doing it solo.

I have about 25 halfs and 7 fulls to my name,the only race I've run straight thru with others was the 2015 Wine and Dine half of a half lightning shortened 6.7 miler.If it would've been a half we definitely would have separated.I've started several of my 25 halfs with others and stayed with them maybe the first two miles but overall running these races are an individual thing.For the 2015 w&d half my friends were lucky it was shortened and that we stuck together as they were running with very little training and it was hot that day,we did a lot of things all day long in 90 degree temps that wiped them out to start a race at midnight or whenever it was that we started,I was fine but they barely got through 6.7 miles.

Last edited:
I have run 90% of my races alone!! Gives me much more time to be "present" and really take in the experience.

In my experience, there are a lot more participants running in groups at runDisney races than others but there's a still a good population of us individual runners. Like others have said, I run most races alone so it really was no different to me.

I did overhear a pretty rude comment at the PHM in 2015 assuming those that ran alone had no friends. Honestly, I felt sorry for her. I can't imagine needing a friend to enjoy a race through the most magical place on earth.

I guess it might be true of RunDisney races that there are more people running together but overall running races,especially half's and longer are pretty much an individual sport so seeing people running alone is much more common than seeing groups together.Hearing that kind of comment at the PHM just sounds extremely ignorant.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter