Running in a tutu?

pinkxray

DIS Veteran
I am trying to come up with a cute outfit for the TOT run and have come up with an okay idea.

I am trying to decide between getting a tutu or a sparkle skirt. The tutu will look cuter and help the costume look more like the character I'm aiming for, but it looks like the sparkle skirt will be a bit easier to run in.

For those who have run in tutus did they ride up or become uncomfortable while running? Also if I get a tutu what is a good length? I would order from etsy and the seller said most adults tutus are about 16" but that comes to my knees (5'6) and seems like shorter would be better?

You can get cheap ones in different lengths and colors from dance suppliers depending on what exactly you're looking for. To ease your mind and keep it in place for all 10 miles, you could use an older or cheap pair of shorts and you can hot glue the tutu/skirt in place. Ive done that. They're easy to hem by just cutting them shorter depending on the fabric, and keep in mind they might puff out 16" not go straight down.

The best way to know if it works for you though is to run in one.

I ran the Princess Half in a tutu in 2011. I bought one for myself and one for my DD at Walmart and they were $5 each in the girl's department. We ditched them part way through the race because it was very hot. It is not a problem running in a tutu, but if the weather is warm, they can be a bit uncomfortable. Have fun at TOT!

I kept mine on for the entire princess this year. I didn't even really notice it. I used a fuel belt and it kept it from riding up. The picture below is in a now sew tutu at the end of the race.

The no sew kind really are pretty easy to make if you wanted to try, but you need to make them really full or they tend to swish apart. The nice thing is you can adjust the elastic waist pretty easily as well as the length.

Love my sparkle skirts. Very comfy and pocket space.

The only problem I had running in my tutu was getting to the pockets of my shorts through it! It was great fun to run in though and we had more fun (at least I think so) dresses up!
We wore home made tutus - I found a sale on tulle and we used elastic for the waist.

I've run several Disney races in a tutu and didn't find it to be a problem at all. It was a cheap pink one from the costume store that was actually quite scratchy if you touched it, giving me plenty of space in the corrals. :) I did have to cut it down some so it wasn't all the way down to my knees.

I make my own for about $5-7 total- Its super easy and only takes about an hour to finish-

Just need 2-3 rolls of tuelle from a craft store and a length of elastic..

Since for me they tend to be a 1 max 2 time use for the cost its perfect.. I tend to not make them super full so they dont bother me- I was against the whole idea until last year when I tried one and havent looked back :) Currently have 4 new ones made for princess (doing all 3 races) and my race the next week

-em

Get the SparkleSkirt. Still super cute and actually made FOR running. And if you get the SparkleTech kind you get great pockets. Worth every penny.

I have quite a few friends who have run in no-sew tutus at all sorts of races, Disney and non. The nice thing is if you get supplies on sale, the investment is low and it's very customizable - length, color, etc. I've run in a Lilybomb skirt that I'm planning to reuse this year, and I also have a Tough Girl tutu that I splurged on because it's a cool color, super comfy, has toggles for a race number, and very reusable. In fact, I'll be in the tutu for the 10K and the Lilybomb skirt for the half at Princess.

Okay here is my review from my own experience!

Tutu - the pro's are that you can make one very cheap. The tulle material is about a buck and a half a yard and then you use elastic or ribbon for the waist. The whole project can take two hours and you can find a no sew tutu instructional video on youtube.com...there are many of them.

The bad? They can be annoying. As someone posted, if you need to get into your belt for anything....or going to the bathroom, esp a pop. They add more time.

Overall I like tutu's BUT....

I love sparkle skirts better and here is my review on them:

Many places make sparkle skirts and many are quite pretty. I personally found that some sparkle skirts are better than others and they all run around the same price...25 bucks each.

I liked Team Sparkle the best...their skirts are shorter and wrap around your hips. I have used another brand and the skirt was a bit longer and because of the length, I had to wear it around my waist...this made a big difference in a race. It wasn't something I thought of when I ordered the skirt, until I wore them.
The Team Sparkle one's don't get in the way of your fuel belt and they are short enough that you don't feel the material against your skin - if you are wearing very short shorts under it. Because they wrap around your hips as opposed to your waist, you actually look a bit slimmer in photos! Oh it sounds silly but true!

I have worn a tutu in a half marathon and decided I probably wont do the tutu thing again.
The longer sparkle skirt I wore for the full marathon...I loved it...but prefer the shorter one I wore in the half.

I don't work for T.S. I am just sharing my opinion.

No matter what you wear, have fun! At the end of the day none of what I wore got in the way so much that I had to tear it off mid race and dump it at the side of the road.

I've work tutus for two 5k color runs. They're fun and cheap to make. Looking at the pictures later I resembled the dancing hippo from Fantasia, but so what. It had fun :)

I just started training in a SparkleSkirt. They aren't cheap but really nice! The length is mid thigh on me and the compression shorts that are attached are awesome! Since it's winter I'm wearing leggings underneath and there's still no ride up. The pockets will be nice for the DL 10k as I can put my phone or camera in it.

Regardless of what you decide to wear try a practice run in it first to see if you like it.

Ran in a tutu for the princess half in 2013. Worst was getting in and out of the porta potties as our were home made and super full. We took them off and put them off then that was a pain. Other than that I had no problems. Although everything I wore that trip after was covered in blue sparkly glitter from that darn tulle. Haha I had to pack it in it's own bag coming home it was getting too annoying.

So for the ToT 10 miler this year I'm just doing a sparkle skirt while some of my friends might do a tutu again. It wasn't that it was too annoying during the race, it was just hard to pack and took up a lot of space.

I wore a skirt from SparkleAthletic for Tinker bell and would do so again. Absolutely no problem to run in.

I wore a tutu from Race Junkie (on Etsy) for Princess and would do so again, in cooler weather. The tutu was short enough I didn't have any issues when using the restroom (just hiked it up) and it didn't annoy me when running or anything. But Princess this year was SO humid and by mile 3 of the race I could see all the sweat that had dripped off my arms collecting in the tulle of the tutu--it was so gross!
To store/travel, I just put the tutu in a plastic ziploc baggie and squeezed all the air out. It's very compact and portable.

I wore a tutu in the princess half. You can see it in my avatar pic. I made it with ribbon instead of elastic so I could untie it to take it off. It was a 12" length and I wore it under my hydration belt. I will be wearing one during the TOT. The only thing is your arms might rub on it so it could bother you. I have never run in a sparkle skirt so I can't comment on them, but I regularly run in running skorts and prefer them over shorts.

It was a cheap pink one from the costume store that was actually quite scratchy if you touched it, giving me plenty of space in the corrals. :)

Harumph. Fun for you, not so fun for others. Especially us shorties getting scratched on the arms by tall guys wearing tutus while simply trying to move past....

I can't imagine running in one, but I see a lot! This is my advice from running yesterday.

Have someone honest and trustworthy look at you in your tutu and running clothes. Turn around. If your tutu is long enough in front, make sure it's equally long in back, especially if you've got a most excellent tush. I saw a few tutus that were nearly up to the hips from behind, and I am not sure that that was the intention, and I'm really not sure it was known to the runners. If you are a modest person or just don't want people to see the rear-view of your running shorts, make sure the back is long enough.

And from the front, if you do a no-sew one where you have strands of tulle coming down...reconsider wearing your bib on your waist. Or if you must, and if you don't want to get "yikes!" looks from others, wear longer running shorts. Saw at least one person wtih the tulle being pulled to the sides, with the bib *looking as though* it was the ONLY thing covering the runner's front area.

Neither of the above would be a look I would be going for. (and I run in shorts with compression socks, with a bright white hydration backpack, so it's not like I'm a fashion queen, LOL...I just don't want others wondering if I'm actually wearing pants when I'm running...)

Hope that helps other fellow modest runners out there.

Bumbershoots post reminded me of another thing about running in tutus--they add like 25 lbs in photos!
The Tinkerbell (I wore a glitter skirt) and Princess (I wore a tutu) were only a month apart--and actually I think I weighed about 3 or 4 pounds LESS at Princess, but when I see the pics I look MUCH heavier at Princess.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter