• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Running Related Prime Day Deals (all stores)

Sleepy425

DIS Veteran
Saucony has Guide 14s 50% off, but not in my size. Amazon had them for almost the same price and had my size (I was hoping to use the Saucony website because my Amex has a spend $100, get $20 statement credit. I was going to buy 2 pairs and still spend less than I usually do on one pair!)
Liquid IV is a Prime Day Deal, but I've never bought it so I don't know if it is a good price.
Aftershokz are a good price on Amazon, but I'm still debating getting them.
Someone said Garmins are a good price on Amazon, but mine is still good so I refuse to look and get sucked into a better one.
Anyone want to add deals they've seen that may help someone?

Liquid IV is a Prime Day Deal, but I've never bought it so I don't know if it is a good price.

Good compared to normal Amazon price, but others have better pricing. The normal Costco price is $1 per stick and this is $1.07 a stick. Costco runs a discount every once in a while that puts them down to 73 cents a stick. I really like Liquid IV for pre-hard runs or early morning wake-ups.

Good compared to normal Amazon price, but others have better pricing. The normal Costco price is $1 per stick and this is $1.07 a stick. Costco runs a discount every once in a while that puts them down to 73 cents a stick. I really like Liquid IV for pre-hard runs or early morning wake-ups.
Thanks, I will watch for when Costco has it on sale again. I missed it last time.

Target also has Liquid I.V. on sale - $15.99 list price, 25% off select vitamin/nutrition, buy one get one 30% off, and an extra 10% off side-wide one single order (Prime Day competition) brings them down to a little over 91 cents per packet if you buy an even number of boxes, and slightly lower if you have a red card for an additional 5% off.

I've never used these before, but they look intriguing as a pre-workout on a hot day instead of a banana.

Thanks for the info! I’ve been thinking of trying it. I bring saltstick chews on hot runs and thought maybe this could replace those.

Thanks for the info! I’ve been thinking of trying it. I bring saltstick chews on hot runs and thought maybe this could replace those.

From a purely content standpoint, the saltstick chews appear to have 100mg Na per 2 tabs and the Liquid IV stick has 500mg (although absorption could differ).

I personally concentrate Tailwind which has 303mg Na per scoop for during runs. Each scoop is supposed to be diluted in 10-12 oz water. But I dilute it in about 1 oz water. So I make a 4oz solution that has about 900mg Na and 264mg Potassium. Just have to make sure to still drink 10-12 oz water per scoop outside of the dilution. Tailwind tends to come out cheaper than Liquid IV as well.

An extreme option is SkratchLabs Hyper which has 1720mg Na per serving. But it should be reserved for extreme conditions and used sparingly.

From a purely content standpoint, the saltstick chews appear to have 100mg Na per 2 tabs and the Liquid IV stick has 500mg (although absorption could differ).

I personally concentrate Tailwind which has 303mg Na per scoop for during runs. Each scoop is supposed to be diluted in 10-12 oz water. But I dilute it in about 1 oz water. So I make a 4oz solution that has about 900mg Na and 264mg Potassium. Just have to make sure to still drink 10-12 oz water per scoop outside of the dilution. Tailwind tends to come out cheaper than Liquid IV as well.

An extreme option is SkratchLabs Hyper which has 1720mg Na per serving. But it should be reserved for extreme conditions and used sparingly.
Thank you!!

Are you using Tailwind for salt/potassium/electrolytes or for fueling/carbs? Or both? 4 scoops in only 4oz of water is pretty highly concentrated. I use 8-10 scoops for a 90km ride in 750ml bike bottles.

Are you using Tailwind for salt/potassium/electrolytes or for fueling/carbs? Or both? 4 scoops in only 4oz of water is pretty highly concentrated. I use 8-10 scoops for a 90km ride in 750ml bike bottles.

Both for electrolytes and for carbs. It ends up being 3 scoops in about 4-5oz in a Hammer Nutrition 5oz bottle. Here's my current marathon (and training run greater than 90 min) nutrition strategy. I will say, when I was indoor cycling my hydration needs were far less than when I'm running outside. I'm also much less versed on the recommend carbs per hr consumption rate of cycling vs running, but I do believe the cycling carb value is much less.

I consume about 93-96g carbs per hr, but that includes my 17oz Maurten 320 w/ 79g carbs right before the start. During my training runs, I usually do a 4.08 mile loop that includes me going past my house twice in a half mile loop. Once to pick up liquid and once to drop it back off. I do these loops anywhere from 27 min to 37 min depending on the specifics of the training run. Each time I stop to pick up a bottle that contains about 18-24oz. So in an hour, I usually drink about 36-48oz of water. I am on the high side for both water consumption and carb consumption during races.

minus 15 min - Maurten 320 *Needs 0oz water to absorb b/c liquid based
45 min - Tailwind Concentrate *Needs ~11.0 oz of water to absorb (~1.5oz of water + 1 scoop of tailwind (25g carbs) plus an additional 11.0 oz of water)
60 min - Maurten Caff gel *Needs 0oz water to absorb b/c isotonic
75 min - Egel *Needs 18.5oz water to absorb (37g carb)
105 min - Tailwind Concentrate *Needs ~11.0 oz of water to absorb (~1.5oz of water + 1 scoop of tailwind (25g carbs) plus an additional 11.0 oz of water)
120 min - Maurten Caff gel *Needs 0oz water to absorb b/c isotonic
135 min - Egel *Needs 18.5oz water to absorb (37g carb)
165 min - Tailwind Concentrate *Needs ~11.0 oz of water to absorb (~1.5oz of water + 1 scoop of tailwind (25g carbs) plus an additional 11.0 oz of water)

So during my run, I need 33 oz of water for Tailwind and 37 oz of water for Egels (I need nothing for Maurten 320 or Maurten gels). So a total of 70oz of water minimally to absorb the carbs I consume that are not already isotonic. During a 2.5hr long training run I would drink a bottle at (32, 64, 96, and 128 min). So that's about 84oz of water give or take. I drink somewhat based on how thirsty I am in the process of running. So sometimes on the higher end, and sometimes on the lower end.

During a race, I aim for two water cups per aid station with the assumption they hold about 3oz per. I choose races that have a high aid station per mile ratio. The Madison M is 19 aid stations in 26.2 miles or 0.7 aid stations per mile. If I drink 6oz per aid station X 19 aid stations, then I'll consume about 114oz during the 3.25 hr race. So that's about 35 oz per hr. Compared to my training maximum of 84oz per 2.5hrs equaling 33.6 oz per hr. So about the same. One strategy I have used in the past, but don't these days as often, is carry a small water bottle in my hand that I would refill at aid stations as I ran past while pouring the water into the bottle. But during training runs, I stick to doing loops in my neighborhood so I can keep hitting my house.

The per hour and total consumption of carbs and electrolytes is below.

Screen Shot 2022-07-14 at 1.41.28 PM.png

I've gone with multiple sources for nutrition intake during racing because each have their own set of pros/cons.

Maurten 320
Pro - High carb/oz content.
Con - Requires 17oz per packet dilution, thus requiring me to carry a significant volume. Lacks potassium and Na content at 17oz is lower than Tailwind. Expensive.

Maurten gels
Pro - Isotonic and requires no water to absorb
Con - Lacks meaningful Na and K. Expensive.

Egel
Pro - High Carb per packet. High Na and K content compared to other gels. Cheaper gel than most comparables.
Con - As a sole source would require carrying 7 gels to equal my current protocol.

Tailwind
Pro - Cheap. Cheap. Cheap. Concentrateable up to 1 scoop per 1.5 oz. High Na and K content. Source of carbs.
Con - Still requires 1oz water per 2g carb to absorb. So would need 139 oz water to properly absorb.

I bought my first pair of aftershokz. Just got them in and haven't used them for a run yet, but I'm excited about trying them out. I got the minis.
I really like mine. I have bought one but have had 4 pairs. Do register them on the website as 3 (so far) of them have stopped working or being able to be charged. No issues with the company replacing them in the 2 year warranty, just have to deal with a couple weeks without while they get sent back and new one mailed.

I really like mine. I have bought one but have had 4 pairs. Do register them on the website as 3 (so far) of them have stopped working or being able to be charged. No issues with the company replacing them in the 2 year warranty, just have to deal with a couple weeks without while they get sent back and new one mailed.
Thanks for the advice. I will be sure to register them.

It’s Prime Deal Days again on Amazon Oct 11 & 12, there are some deals on Saucony shoes (and probably other stuff that I didn’t look at 😆)

Nike has select colors of Next%2 and Alphafly for close to 50% off with a member (free to be) promo code.

For those that use Aftershoks, which one do you recommend?
I've used the Titanium, Air and Aeropex and would rank them as follows:

Aeropex > Air >>> Titanium

Aeropex have definitely been the best from both a comfort and sound quality standpoint. The Air were very good, as well, just not as good as the Aeropex, and would be a good "budget" starting point. The Titanium just aren't in the same ballpark as the other two and I wouldn't recommend them at this point.

I know Aftershokz have released some newer models than these, but I haven't tried and can't comment on them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter