Running Renaissance: Road to Paris 2024

I’m just surprised the long run goal isn’t dynamic as well.

It's dynamic as well. Here are three screenshots from various dates in my past (you can change the date of the image in the top left corner by clicking the calendar). I've got 17, 18, and 19 at different points in time.

Screenshot 2023-10-09 at 1.33.28 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-10-09 at 1.32.08 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-10-09 at 1.31.49 PM.png

The suggestion, like mileage, appears to be effective VO2max based. Probably because it's aiming for a duration goal based on fitness.

Nov 2022 - 50 mile and 19 mile LR, VO2 47.89 - Optimal 3:17
Oct 2023 - 48 mile and 18 mile LR, VO2 45.73 - Optimal 3:25
July 2021 - 38 mile and 17 mile LR, VO2 37.81 - Optimal 4:00

It does not appear to change the minimum value for accruing points towards the Long Run category though. It's somewhere around 8.5 miles in all three graphs for me.

It's dynamic as well. Here are three screenshots from various dates in my past (you can change the date of the image in the top left corner by clicking the calendar). I've got 17, 18, and 19 at different points in time.

View attachment 800464

View attachment 800465

View attachment 800466

The suggestion, like mileage, appears to be effective VO2max based. Probably because it's aiming for a duration goal based on fitness.

Nov 2022 - 50 mile and 19 mile LR, VO2 47.89 - Optimal 3:17
Oct 2023 - 48 mile and 18 mile LR, VO2 45.73 - Optimal 3:25
July 2021 - 38 mile and 17 mile LR, VO2 37.81 - Optimal 4:00

It does not appear to change the minimum value for accruing points towards the Long Run category though. It's somewhere around 8.5 miles in all three graphs for me.
Good to know! I thought I read that it was always 18 but I guess not. I also didn’t realize I could go back and look at historic numbers until seeing your snapshots. Guess that’s what that little calendar icon is for 😅

You must have said somewhere in the journal, but what glute and hip strength program are you using?

You must have said somewhere in the journal, but what glute and hip strength program are you using?
I use the Nike Training app. I don’t follow a specific program but I think that they do have a few. Instead I just filter to workouts that fit my needs (muscle group, time, experience, equipment). I’m sure there are better options out there but this one is free and works for me.

ETA: the app has existed for several years. There’s a definite production difference in the older workouts vs the newer ones. I just need someone that tells me what to do so I’m fine with a voice and beeps but the more recent ones are a bit more engaging with actual video of the trainer completing the exercises.

Last edited:
WDW Marathon Training Week 6/18
giphy.gif

This gif would probably fit better in a few weeks when I hit the point of marathon training that I’m hungry all the time but oh well, here we are. The sixth thing I’m looking forward to this January is cookies from Gideon’s. I don’t normally get swept into the hype of the latest dessert craze but we tried these last January and they did not disappoint. It helps that there was a virtual queue so we were able to eat dinner and explore instead of waiting in line for hours. No cookie is worth all that. I’m still craving that chocolate cherry cookie over 8 months later.

9-11 Oct - Rest
I had a bit of a scratch in my throat on Sunday that I did my best to ignore. Unfortunately it did not ignore me and I was out for three days. 😟

12 Oct - Easy 6
Was originally planning to do 10 but I still wasn’t feeling 100% and I didn’t have time before work to fit them all in. Something >nothing

13 Oct - Easy 7
This was meant to be 6 but I needed to collect my bib for the race on Sunday so I ended up going a bit further to include that into my route. I got rained on which resulted in some unfortunate chafing but otherwise felt good.

14 Oct - Easy 4
Took my run through the start/finish line. Built up my excitement for the race the following day 😄

IMG_2762.jpeg

15 Oct - Half Marathon
I was going to do a proper race recap but I haven’t had the time so I’ll give you the short version. My goal was to stick with the 1:45 pacer for as long as possible. I knew that time was within reach but had doubts about it because I hadn’t trained explicitly for the half. The weather was perfect for me but i was also still recovering from being sick.
I didn’t start right next to the pacer but kept him in my sights and caught up to the group before mile 2. They were going a little fast so I just hung around behind the group. There was a bit of internal dialog on if I should just pace myself to try to break 1:45 or stick with them. Since my plan originally was to run with the pacer, I decided to just hang on as long as I could. Maybe I’d surprise myself and I’d never ran with a pacer before so this low stakes race was a good time to try it out.
Sometime around mile 5 I heard the pacer tell the group that we were running fast to bank time for later. I immediately questioned all of my life choices because that’s not how distance running works. From there I decided to just go at it alone and managed fairly consistent 8:00 miles until mile 12.
The pace group was getting further and further away but my running math told me I still had a shot at 1:45. I kept pushing as much as I could. I was running on empty but I had to keep going as best I could. When I turned the corner toward the finish line I could see 1:45:xx on the clock and did everything in my power to get to the finish line.
Sadly I just didn’t have enough left and finished in 1:46:02. But that’s still over a minute PR! I know that if I paced better and explicitly trained for the event that sub 1:45 is in my future.

I’ll update my marathon shape numbers in the next post. I’ve already finished week 7 as of this post so I don’t want to share those numbers just yet. The numbers are staying more consistent. They still bounce around a bit but not nearly as much as 6 weeks ago.

The sixth thing I’m looking forward to this January is cookies from Gideon’s. I don’t normally get swept into the hype of the latest dessert craze but we tried these last January and they did not disappoint.
I am totally with you on that one. Last race weekend, I bought the Peanut Butter ones and ate them for pre-race breakfast instead of my usual bagel and PB :laughing:

I am totally with you on that one. Last race weekend, I bought the Peanut Butter ones and ate them for pre-race breakfast instead of my usual bagel and PB :laughing:
I’m pretty sure I ate some for breakfast as well 🫣

Congrats on the PR!
Thank you!

That's is an awesome time! Two seconds is just one sneeze away from your goal. You did a great job!!
Are you saying I should have turned around and sneezed for more power? 🤣

Awesome job on the PR!
Thanks! It was good weather for it 😉. (Everyone else I know that ran has complained that it was too cold at the start)

Congrats on the PR!
Thank you!

Yay PR🎉 especially when recovering from being sick and not having trained explicitly for it!
Woo hoo! Now I just need to figure out where a half Training block fits into my plans…

Woot woot!
🥳🥳🥳

WDW Marathon Training Week 7/18
IMG_0580.jpeg

I traveled back to my hometown last weekend and got to see some family. Naturally, we started talking about WDW and what we were excited about. My SIL is looking forward to watching Fantasmic! When I mentioned this to my partner, he chimed in that he doesn’t like that show (which I know) but the kicker is that I also learned that he doesn’t like the Electric Water Pageant! Seriously, what’s not to like? Which brings me to another thing I’m looking forward to: enjoying a dole whip at the poly while watching this national treasure and the fireworks.

16 Oct - Recovery
My legs were quite sore so I opted for a day of recovery which meant no running, mandatory stretching and apparently carrying wall frames all day for a Habitat for Humanity blitz build 😂.

17 Oct - Easy 5
My legs were still sore so I opted for easy miles instead of the scheduled speedwork. It’s been 4 weeks since my last speed session 🫣.

18 Oct - Rest

19 Oct - Easy 5
I planned to do 6 miles of marathon tempo but it became very obvious that was not happening. I ran my 2 mile warm up and started the tempo a bit hot but then I could not keep it to for even a mile. I tried again at the second mile but eventually just called it and jogged the rest of the way back home. This was when I realized that I really should have planned for a recovery week. Also “only” running 5 miles is something that only a marathoner would say 😅

20 Oct - Easy 5
This was supposed to be 7 but I just could not get my legs to work. They weren’t sore anymore, just zapped of all power.

21 Oct - Easy 8
After a rough couple of runs, this one went really well. I felt like I was back. It could have been the tree tunnel vibes 😄
IMG_2816.jpeg

22 Oct - 0.64 Miles
🤦‍♀️ I had a feeling this was going to happen. My nephew got married Saturday night and then we drove 6 hours back home Sunday AM so I was exhausted. Initially I planned to move the long run to Saturday but with how the week was going, I couldn’t bear 3 bad runs in a row. Eventually, I mustered up enough motivation to get out the door and then got yelled at by a weirdo 2 blocks from my home and promptly turned around. I did try to finish on the treadmill but by that point I had lost my mojo and called it 😩

I’m rather disappointed with how the first 7 weeks have gone. I’ve only completed 75% of the scheduled mileage. Assuming no more hiccups, I can still complete >90% which was my original goal. It’s time to buckle down and get to it!

IMG_2829.jpeg
As you might expect, the marathon shape numbers have been moving with my training. The prognosis improved last week but then went up again this week.

This was when I realized that I really should have planned for a recovery week.
I’m totally feeling this! After DSM I had to move some things around with my overnight WDW trip. I got my miles in for the week, they were tough, but I thought I was makin’ it. Come Sunday’s run……crash and burn. Had 14 scheduled, completed 8.3 and the last mile was UGLY!

I’m totally feeling this! After DSM I had to move some things around with my overnight WDW trip. I got my miles in for the week, they were tough, but I thought I was makin’ it. Come Sunday’s run……crash and burn. Had 14 scheduled, completed 8.3 and the last mile was UGLY!
I tell myself that I’m being smart and listening to my body but sometimes I wonder if it’s just voices inside my head 😅

Either way, nothing to do but move forward. I hope this week is better for the both of us!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter