Running Watches/Gadgets

asheleycs

Mouseketeer
I know these get discussed in the running thread, but it's hard to follow. If this isn't appropriate for it's own thread, mods can delete or merge.

What kind of running watch do you use? What do you like about it and what do you not like about it?

Garmin certainly seems popular, so what models? I'd like to have something with GPS and heart rate, and would consider a chest strap, though I'm not crazy about it. I don't want to spend a fortune, but I've seen some older models at great prices (ex. Forerunner 610). I'm also willing to spend more if it's worth it.

Thanks!

Personally I have the Garmin 620 with a chest strap (which I don't use anymore). I originally bought it because of the advanced stats it had but found after using it for a few months that I wasn't as interested in the advanced stats as I thought I would be. When I decide to purchase a new watch it will likely be the Garmin 235 (mostly because of the wrist based HR).

A great running watch review site is dcrainmaker.com

Here are a few old threads on this topic as well.

http://www.disboards.com/threads/run-watch-recommendation.3518478/

http://www.disboards.com/threads/running-watch-garmin-etc.3508488/

Garmin Forerunner 225 or 235 if you don't want a chest strap. I love my 225. It has all the data I need without excess features that I won't use. I would probably go with the 235 if I was getting a watch today, but there are only minor differences in my view.

Garmin 620 for me - awesome watch but the darn chest strap leaves a red bruise on my right side where the strap comes together. Other than that it is a great watch but I think the 630 is a better version with Garmin IQ that supports apps of some sort.

I have a Garmin Vivoactive, but I just ordered the new Vivoactive with the optical HR Monitor in the wrist.

I have a Garmin 920XT with an HR strap. It's a bit pricey ($310) but has all the features, activities, and screens I'll ever need.

Personally I have the Garmin 620 with a chest strap (which I don't use anymore). I originally bought it because of the advanced stats it had but found after using it for a few months that I wasn't as interested in the advanced stats as I thought I would be.

You know, I'm kind of the same way on this. I've got the RUN strap which provides data on oscillation, ground contact time, and all kinds of other fancy metrics. They're fun to look at, but I haven't once after a workout said "Ooooh, my oscillation was all wrong today. I need to work on that tomorrow." Still, I'm glad to have this strap. It's much softer and far more comfortable than my previous one.

Last edited:

Garmin 620 with chest strap for me, Garmin 225 for girlfriend - she didn't want chest strap but wanted wrist HR monitor.

My wife and I both have the Garmin 620 with the chest strap. I run by effort, but in the heat I wear the chest strap to make sure that my pace doesn't push me out of my desired HR zone. In the winter I do not wear the strap as I can easily manage my heart rate without it, even on very long runs.

Garmin 235 for me. Love the optical HR monitor on the wrist. Does everything I want it to do and more.

I use Garmin 230 without chest strap but I would definitely consider the 235 because when I got it I wasn't that concerned about the HR Zone but now I regret not paying the extra a bit.

I think it would depend on what information you are interested in. I'm not a hard core runner, more of a jogger/walker but do work out every day so am interested in time and HR so I just use a Polar RS300X. Gives me the information I need and has on line sync capabilities to their database. Better yet, it also syncs to my health insurance site where I get % credit off my bill when I reach a certain level.

...I just use a Polar RS300X. Gives me the information I need and has on line sync capabilities to their database. Better yet, it also syncs to my health insurance site where I get % credit off my bill when I reach a certain level.

That's pretty cool!

So I started with the Nike+ watch, switched to a Garmin 220 and then recently upgraded it to a Garmin 235. My son has a Garmin VivoActive HR. I really like my 235, but the vivoactive HR is a great watch too. The only thing missing from the VivoActive HR is the v02 max calculator. At $100 less than the 235 I think that's the best all around option particularly if you are going to wear it all day. (both the VivoActive HR and the 235 have wrist based heart rate and both are smart watches that display txts, meetings..etc )

Last edited:
I had the Garmin 220 and recently upgraded to the 235 for the txt and phone notification feature. It has steps and HR monitor which are nice features but since I don't wear my watch everyday, kind of useless for me.

I have a Garmin FR230 - would be the same as the 235, except the 230 doesn't have the HR monitor. I'm sure the 235 has other features that are not in the FR230.

I upgraded from a FR220, and my 2 must-haves were: must have stand-alone GPS, must have activity tracker (if I track my steps at work I get a discount on my health insurance - this is the main thing that made me switch from my 220, since the 220 doesn't track steps). I keep wanting an Apple Watch, because they are so shiny and pretty, but they don't have stand-alone GPS or work with my step tracking I need to do at work, so that's out. When I was looking at watches I didn't NEED the smart notifications, but I really like having them - I like that I can keep my ringer turned off at work but still be notified if I have a text come in or something. And I can turn that feature off too, which is nice (and I'm sure other smart watches have similar functionality) - good for when I'm in a meeting or don't want to get bugged while running.

My only complaint is that it's sort of big and not very pretty for an every-day watch...but I DO wear it every day, so I guess it doesn't bother me that much. Very happy with it overall! :)

I have a Garmin FR230 - would be the same as the 235, except the 230 doesn't have the HR monitor. I'm sure the 235 has other features that are not in the FR230.

Actually, there are no other differences between the Garmin 230 and 235 except the optical HR monitor.

Two other things that are missing with the Vivoactive HR are custom workouts and run/walk intervals.
While I don't use them, this is the sections from the vivoactiveHR manual that talks about how to setup run/walk intervals. http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webh...UID-228F168D-D601-40E7-9497-AFDB55A5A47C.html

Is it possible you are thinking about the VivoSmart HR and not the VivoActive HR?

For GPS watches with wrist based heart rate I think there are:
Garmin 225 Non Smart Watch, Mainly For Running About $200
Garmin 235 Smart Watch (Newer generation of the 225) larger LCD, Not Touch Screen, Primarily a running watch, About $349
Garmin VivoActiveHR. Smartwatch (never version of the Garmin VivoActive) Touchscreen, multi sport about $249
Garmin VivoSmartHR+ like a fitbit that they've crammed a GPS smart watch into. (I haven't used this so I don't know much about it) $200
Epson Makes a running watch with integrated heart rate The SF-810 I don't know anything about it though.

I have had watches with chest straps but I've found I like having the integrated heart rate in the band to measure things like resting heart rate. I think at the price point now it's definitely worth it. I regular run with a group of guys that are using everything from a forerunner 25 on up to the Fenix3 HR. All of them have about the same level of accuracy. I really love the look of the Fenix 3 and was seriously debating buying it for myself and giving my son my 235 to replace the 220 because he wanted to more easily monitor his heart rate while he was running. Ultimately I couldn't justify spending $600 on the Fenix so I used the running warehouse discount and wound up getting the VivoActiveHR for about $200. It's a great watch and I've been tempted to give him my 235 and keep it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter