Russian Terror Attack - Forecasted?

Neapolitan Ice Cream

DIS Veteran
Couldn't find a thread about the dreadful events in Russia on the Community Board or Controversial Topics Board, so just a small point:

The US WARNED Russia that extremist groups were preparing for an attack on a public venue a few days ago, which the Kremlin dismissed as being subterfuge and an attempt to undermine the Russian State. Now it's happened, Putin seems to be claiming Ukraine, in a backwards way.

Why did they not pay heed?

It’s a difficult question to answer without delving into politics, but I will try.

Imagine for a moment that you are working for a global corporation, and one day, your biggest rival approaches you. They say they heard you were merging with XYZ Corp and wanted to let you know that there were rumors of criminal activity at the highest level of management that were being investigated. They say you might want to do a little more due diligence before signing the contract. Then they leave.

Do you trust someone who is competing against you to be telling the truth, or do you have thoughts in the back of your mind that they are making this up in an effort to sabotage the merger and make you look foolish? Do you let your ego get in the way of making sure you do the best thing for your company and employees, or do you follow up on the tip?

In the case of Moscow, sadly, the information turned out to be true.

There are always questions after any attack as to why it was not stopped or detected. But the Moscow attack raises particularly difficult issues for Vladimir Putin at a time of international tension and mistrust. And much of that comes because of a warning from Washington.

The 7 March warning from the US to its own citizens was unusually specific. It talked of reports that "extremists" had "imminent plans to target large gatherings in Moscow" and specifically mentioned concerts. It advised Americans in the city to avoid large gatherings over the coming 48 hours.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-68646375

Pretty damn stupid of Russia, really. The US specifically warned of what was coming, down pretty much to the day and where, and the Kremlin decided to ignore them. Now over 100 people are dead.

I suppose they didn't listen for the same reason the US didn't react as it should have prior to 9/11 and why countless other countries have done the same, hubris. Lack of humility makes a thing an easy target. Underestimating an adversary is such a common historical error.

I feel bad for all those people just watching a show, just like people everywhere do every day. No-one ever expects such a thing, which is why these behaviors are so terrible no matter where they happen.

I'm not convinced Putin would have done anything. Just not in his nature.

Couldn't find a thread about the dreadful events in Russia on the Community Board or Controversial Topics Board, so just a small point:

The US WARNED Russia that extremist groups were preparing for an attack on a public venue a few days ago, which the Kremlin dismissed as being subterfuge and an attempt to undermine the Russian State. Now it's happened, Putin seems to be claiming Ukraine, in a backwards way.

Why did they not pay heed?
Well, Putin doesn’t trust the US. And quite honestly I don’t know we felt compelled to give a heads up other then telling an Americans to get out per the US Embassy

I am sure there is always a lot of 'chatter' from terrorist groups threatening to do this/that. Most of it is just talk unless the intelligence community has enough actionable specifics to go and arrest those involved. AFTER something bad happens, is it fairly easy to blame the 'failure' of the intelligence community to prevent it. How much we actually knew and how much we told the Russians, no one will probably ever know.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter