?s about point rental for OKW May 2002

lephelps

Earning My Ears
I've never rented points before but am considering it for our May 2002 trip to WDW. There will be (hopefully) 4 adults and one infant so I'm interested in an OKW studio room, checking in on 5/4/02 and checking out on 5/11/02. Our usual place to stay is DL (now POR) with the Resort Magic plan so I'm trying to find out what, if anything, I'm losing by renting points and buying passes separately. I've tried looking up as much info as possible but still have some questions.
1. Can you purchase length-of-stay passes (Ultimate Park Hoppers) as a DVC guest or are they only available by booking vacation packages?
2. If you can buy an Ultimate Park Hopper passes, where do you get them? Do you buy them when you check in or can you get them ahead of time?
3. As another option, can you buy the Resort Magic Plan separately to go with a DVC reservation or is it only available with a Disney vacation package?
4. Are there certain things you do or don't get as a DVC visitor versus what you would get from booking a vacation at another resort (such as Dixie Landings/Port Orleans Riverside).
5. In the same token, are there certain perks I wouldn't get as a non-DVC member staying at OKW using rented points?

Just as a little background, I did an estimate using info from the WDW reservations site and Disney Club WDW 800 number and here's what I came up with for 4 adults, using 2001 prices, not including airfare, transfers, etc.:
Port Orleans Riverside w/ Resort Magic Plan - $3055.80
Old Key West studio w/ Resort Magic Plan - $3755.80
Renting DVC points for OKW (98 needed, average price of $10/point) and buying Ultimate Park Hoppers separately ($346.64/person for 7N/8D according to the woman I spoke with) - $2366.60

The difference in price just seems too good to be true so I'm not sure if I'm completely understanding how the points system works. I'm assuming the room tax is not included in points rental? If not, what price do they base the room tax on? I'm so confused. :confused:

Thanks for any info and help,

Laura
(trying to find less expensive alternatives to convince mom and brother they really can afford to go to WDW with hubby, son, and me next year)

Yes, resort guests may purchase UMP's at WDW resort. You can purchase them at the desk when you check-in. They are encoded on your room ID.

Resort Magic (and other packages) are available only when purchased thru Disney with the room reservation. DVC members and guests can't purchase these packages.

DVC guests staying on points will not get daily housekeeping as at other WDW resorts. There will be a towel replacement on day 4. You can purchase extra housekeeping if you wish. It costs $25 per day for a studio unit.

There is no room tax added onto point reservations. The 11% tax would be added to cash reservations based on the room rate, but not with a DVC point rental.

It sounds like you're really doing your homework on this!

Good Luck!

It really true, you can save money renting points. In most situations you will save money and it can be a great experience. The studios are larger than rooms at Port Orleans (been there, done that). That's why I bought DVC! If you need to rent points I have some available. Others on this board rent them too and after reading a lot of the posts I think almost all of the people would be trustworthy. You may want to look into protecting yourself by using an escrow service, it seems worth the expense.

Good luck and if you need points let me know! :jester:

Yes, DVC is definitely the better value. And as Doc stated, there is no tax either so what you pay for the points is the only cost. (For your accommodations. Ticket are extra). I'm not sure if the other rooms you quoted included tax or not, but assuming they didn't, then even your cheapest, Port Orleans pushes you up to about $3300 total. For that amount, you can have a 1-BR villa at OKW instead of just the studio room. (A 1-B/R is 98 more points than the studio for your dates).

This actually gives you two choices. Based on your figures, Save about $980 and rent DVC points for a studio, or pay about the same as you would have for Port Orleans, but stay in a 1-B/R villa. This would be a HUGE step up in the kind of accommodations you've been use to.

Be sure to check out the rent/trade board if you haven't done so already. Also, we're assuming $10.00 per point rental. If you rent more points, someone may give you a better 'deal'. You could post an offer on the rent/trade board.

Have a great vacation.

Caskbill is definitely right! If you really want to enjoy yourselves and not be cramped, a one bedroom would be the way to go. If saving money is what you need to do, get the studio, you'll still have more room than a regular room in one of the moderate hotels.

Thanks for all the great information so far. :) It wasn't hard but I've convinced my mom and brother to change their minds and go because of the great deal with renting points. Now, we need to double-check with our sister to see if she'll be interested in changing her mind too (I was originally planning a family vacation for 6 adults and 1 infant when everyone backed out on us). :( If she and her boyfriend go, it means we'll need a 2BR unit and the dates will have to change to the end of May (she's a teacher in TX). Things are really up in the air again but it looks like no matter how many people go, renting points is definitely cheaper than booking a vacation package.

Hopefully, by the end of this weekend, I'll be posting my request for points and making some real plans.:bounce:

Thanks again for all the great information and the offers of points I've received. I'm sure you'll be hearing from me shortly.

Laura

Just a word of caution with such a large group. Try to get some committment from them. You don't want people cancelling last minute since it is not like cancelling a regular hotel reservation. The member has certain deadlines for cancelling the room and for being able to re-use the points. It might also be difficult to change from one size unit to another once a reservation has been made. You'll want everyone committed to the trip with the only exception being an unforseeable major problem -- illness, funeral, loss of job etc. Not backing out because they have a neighbor's wedding to attend, invited to a picnic, etc.

A quick reminder that staying on DVC points you get a more limited housekeeping. This is really not a problem at all but is something you should realize going in. Good luck with planning your trip!

It sounds to me like DVC points might be in your future!;) I can guarantee you that a stay in a 2 BR unit at OKW will sell you on that point!:D

Yes it will be 98 points for the studio, although I think you'll be cramped with 4 adults and an infant, just go to the rental board and see if anyone wants to rent points then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter