S/O carry on etiquette

What is your opinion on the overhead bin space

• Backpacks/personal items should ALWAYS go under the seat

Votes: 65 40.9%
  • Backpacks/personal items should go under the seat if bin space becomes scarce.

Votes: 42 26.4%
  • I packed light so that I would have the leg space, my packpack is going in the overhead

Votes: 40 25.2%
  • Other - just because we need an other

Votes: 12 7.5%

• Total voters
Granted it was pretty obvious that there were a couple of bags that somehow got through TSA but were clearly bigger than carry-on size.
Does TSA regulate/monitor the size of bags going through security screening? I didn't think they did . . .

I think that if I carry on only one bag, that bag is entitled to a spot in the overhead bin.

I've been thinking about buying this to organize this things I want near my seat instead of digging through my personal item to find stuff. I want my lip balm, iPad, Kindle, phone, Airpods and charging cables nearby but I don't really need anything else. It hangs off the seat back pocket.

1691763574513.png

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081B9ZGL...U79LLJMG&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Does TSA regulate/monitor the size of bags going through security screening? I didn't think they did . . .

Not as far as I know. Various airlines make their own rules about what is an acceptable carryon size and it isn't the role of TSA to monitor that. Size of carryon can also relate to the type of plane since those smaller commuter types planes have less room overhead or under the seat for such items. I have seen occasions where the airlines will gate-check your bag for no cost due to using a smaller plane than was originally scheduled. FAA regulations which are stated prior to take-off/landing refer to stowing carryon items for safety reasons. I assume that relates to not blocking the floor/aisles in the event an evacuation is necessary. Something you are holding in your lap could become a flying projectile if there is a sudden stop so that is why you can't hold onto things during take-off/landing.

I remember not that long ago the flight attendants would go down the overhead bins and making sure all the carryons were on there side. This was enough for all bags to fit. Somehow that’s changed.

This is dependent on the aircraft type and the configuration of the overhead bins. When they bins are made for bags to fit on their sides, it is definitely a better use of space. But not all overhead bins are created equal.

Here's a thought - why not close and LOCK the overhead bins until everyone who doesn't have stuff up there gets off the plane? Something tells me that the priorities of just what needs to be brought on the plane would change significantly if they did that.

I meant it fit through the machines somehow. Most luggage bigger than carry-on size doesn’t.

It's not TSA it's FAA regulations and TSA isn't going to call you out on that. That's the business of the airlines for adherence.
Which is what they were doing on this particular flight. Probably because the gate agents spotted the bags which were clearly bigger than any others.

I have never seen any larger than the regular carry-on get through the scanner is what I was referring to.

Here's a thought - why not close and LOCK the overhead bins until everyone who doesn't have stuff up there gets off the plane? Something tells me that the priorities of just what needs to be brought on the plane would change significantly if they did that.
My priority would still be saving the $35 bag check fee.

I have been on a plane where the staff went along the overhead bins and removed any bags which could be under the seat in front and gave them back to their owners so suitcases could be put in the over head.

My priority would still be saving the $35 bag check fee.
Agreed - they should not be charging for bags (Yea Southwest!)
Remember where the bag fees came from? The airlines got approval to do that because the fuel prices went up unexpectedly an they needed a way to recoup their loses. Funny, the bag fees did not go back down when the fuel prices went back down. Huh. Airlines also move quite a bit of non-passenger related freight. The cynic in me says that they need the space in the cargo hold for that, and if everyone checked their bags there wouldn't be enough room. Also less baggage means less labor cost for the guy moving the bags and the guy checking the bag in.

It's a small purse so the entire thing fits in the seat pocket.
Yeah no size doesn't matter and doesn't matter to the FAA. They just care about number of items and you're limited to a personal item regardless of what that is and a carry on. I've seen people take their small purses out of say a shopping bag (which is their personal item) and then be told by the FA to put it back in the bag or the passenger takes the bag put it under their seat but then doesn't want something else by their feet so they put their purse up in the overhead bin which I find to be cheeky.

While I won't say with confidence I imagine some of this is related to removing too many items that would be an obstacle should an emergency occur. Straps especially can be problematic.

I kind of look at like "first come first served." If you are in the last set of passengers to board, you know there may be no overhead space left. I don't think people should be forced to place things under the seat if they chose not to. Of course it's kind to do it, and I always do because I frequently get stuff from my bag. But, some people have leg/knee issues and need to stretch legs. Plus if you are in a middle seat you are already squished in so the leg space may be a necessity. It's really no big deal for the attendant to take bags when there is no room, they wheel out a cart and you get it right as you exit the flight. I have had to do this many times.

IMO, that's a solution in search of a problem. Want to all but guarantee you have storage space? Do whatever (purchase special seats, purchase "overhead" space, show up so you're at the beginning of boarding) you need to.

Don't want to wait for everyone in front of you to gather their stuff? Pay for a seat at the front of the plane.

I will continue to carry on. And it has nothing to do with the cost of checked luggage (it's free for me on Delta anyway). First to prevent issues from "lost" bags. Second is to prevent having to wait at baggage claim. Depending on the size of the plane/airport, that could save anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour. Meaning I could be wherever I'm staying before all the bags get on the belt at baggage claim.

Also less baggage means less labor cost for the guy moving the bags and the guy checking the bag in.
How do you figure that? Pretty sure those folks are getting paid by the hour. They're getting the same pay whether they're loading bags or standing around waiting for the next plane to come in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter