S/O - do you attend Pride events?

When I was in college, I visited my sister in Houston and we attended the Pride parade. It was more than 20 years ago and was a lot of fun even though it was probably a lot smaller than the parades are these days.

Things have really changed since then. I took a look at Dallas’ parade website (it took place at the beginning of this month) and it turns out that it has corporate sponsors like: AARP, Wal Mart, Miller, Toyota, etc. I doubt the one I attended two decades ago had similar sponsors.

I've been to the NYC Pride parade a bunch of times over the years. It's such a fun and welcoming environment. This year, NYC is hosting World Pride and there will be events throughout the next week, ending with the parade. It'll probably be super crowded but I imagine I'll be there anyway! There's nothing quite like Pride to make you feel invigorated and reminded that love and empathy go a long way.

My daughter comes home from college on the 28th- she made plans to meet up with some friends in NYC for the day on the 30th- I just saw on TV that the 30th is the day of the Pride parade- I am sure once she knows that is going on she will be attending it.

I also mentioned on the other thread that the NYPD police commissioner, just a couple weeks ago, officially gave an open apology to the LGBTQ community for their narrow-minded & bigoted acts which instigated the Stonewall riot & uprising here in NYC, 50 years ago, at a gay bar called the Stonewall Inn that started the whole LGBTQ movement. He said what the NYPD did back then was so wrong. :thumbsup2

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/06/nyregion/stonewall-riots-nypd.html

It was just announced on local news that the Dept of Transportation will paint a rainbow striped, Pride crosswalk tonight at 6PM, at the corner of 7th Ave & Christopher St - the closest crosswalk to the Stonewall Inn. Sounds like the LGBTQ community will have their own Beatles, "Abbey Road" type, colorful crosswalk to strut across. :dance3: :teeth:

Last edited:
My daughter comes home from college on the 28th- she made plans to meet up with some friends in NYC for the day on the 30th- I just saw on TV that the 30th is the day of the Pride parade- I am sure once she knows that is going on she will be attending it.
Dd22 and her boyfriend went last year and had s great time.

I live in a small city without a parade but I went to a couple of fundraising events last year during Pride Week.

Through travel I have been to the Pride Parades in NYC, Paris, and last year Key West. We were in San Francisco 3 years ago but as tourists we were overwhelmed by the logistics and didn’t go. I regret that decision.

I'm also an introvert who generally doesn't do events, but am part of a group that frequently performs at the Pride celebrations in the city near us, so I'm there most years for whichever event we are participating in. Ours also used to have a lovely "family picnic" that I attended a few times as part of the same group. I agree with tcufrog that the amount of corporate support has changed a LOT over the decades!

I played in band in Jr/Sr High School so I am officially allergic to parades... I break out in "OH HELL NOs" and hives.

That said, I support Pride by not voting for people who actively support groups who advocate murder, "re-education," or removal of basic human rights for queer people.

I played in band in Jr/Sr High School so I am officially allergic to parades... I break out in "OH HELL NOs" and hives.

That said, I support Pride by not voting for people who actively support groups who advocate murder, "re-education," or removal of basic human rights for queer people.

Weirdly, both DH (a much better musician than I, but he did it professionally for a bit) and I were drum majors...I go to the festival, but not the parades, too many people when you have balance issues. We should talk marching band sometime though.

This one time at band camp...

Right?

To all that have been in BIG cities for Pride (my largest was ATL), I'm jealous. I bet that's amazing, I know @Imzadi that NYC is going to be amazing next week. I've heard so much.

Also, @wenrob, I was thinking about what you said, and you know what, you're doing the real heavy lifting for the community and making a true difference and there's nothing in my eyes about any of the love seen lately on this subject. My heart remains cold, snotty, and black.

Thought about it, but other than sports victory parades, events like this aren’t my thing. Once we had a visitor from Australia and thought it might be something she’d enjoy, but did something else. However, I live in one of the most inclusive areas in the US. My coworkers, friends, and teachers have run the LGBT gamut. My kid’s favorite preschool teacher was openly gay. My kid has been invited to birthday parties where there are two moms or two dads (they joke it’s three since the birth father is involved) and it doesn’t phase anyone around here.

I've gone a couple of times, most recently this year because my DD17 wanted to get to Motor City Pride at least once before leaving home. Personally, I like the smaller celebration in a very "gay" suburb better, but that was opposite softball playoffs so taking DD to it this year was out of the question. I was surprised by how mainstream/commercial the Detroit parade was - most of the entries were major corps., a couple of which I recognized as significant donors to officials/causes that support rolling back LGBTQ rights and protections. :rolleyes2

Right?

To all that have been in BIG cities for Pride (my largest was ATL), I'm jealous. I bet that's amazing, I know @Imzadi that NYC is going to be amazing next week. I've heard so much.

Also, @wenrob, I was thinking about what you said, and you know what, you're doing the real heavy lifting for the community and making a true difference and there's nothing in my eyes about any of the love seen lately on this subject. My heart remains cold, snotty, and black.
I don’t see it as anything other than loving the kids I’ve always loved, kwim?

I never have went to any, I tend to be where you would think an old white guys being, a little more to the right, and these tend to get super plitical. But in fact as far as African Americans and Gay friends, I have many and they like me, and I like them because I am not a hater, in fact I am a lot of fun
We have the same concerns
Brighton has a huge Pride event each year, a long, long parade that culminates in a massive festival. There are headline acts like Britney Spears and Kylie Minogue and a welcome influx of visitors.
The parade starts on Hove Lawns, on the seafront, about two hundred yards from our house so we usually walk over to watch the parade. It starts off really well, the sounds and the sights of the floats and the double decker buses full of cheering, happy people are amazing.
Unfortunately, it then turns political with a number of left wing organisations, political parties, trade unionists, eco warriors etc. trundling by. Their visual and audible attack on people who don't think like them, and on matters unrelated to the reasons for the event, make us shake our heads and hurry home.

ford family

I am a love and let love kinda gal, but it has never even occurred me that I should attend. I've heard the events are a lot of fun, I'm not sure why I haven't been to one.

I do! I’m an ally and most of my friends are part of the LGBTQ+ community. I had planned on going to St. Pete Pride yesterday but this weekend was too busy. I got to walk in Orlando’s parade in October last year, which was so much fun. I’ve also attended the Pulse memorial ceremonies every year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter