S/O: Fish or Eggs - Which stinks the house up worse?

Sounds like what shrimp paste does. We use it (among other spices) to marinate pork and it smells VERY funky, but the end result is magic.
I should try that. I've never used shrimp paste outside of curries. I put it in homemade curry, or if I'm using maesri cans, which are vegetarian, so they lack that shrimp paste punch.

Of the two, definitely fish. (And I still like fish in spite of that.)

But the smell I actually leave the kitchen for is Peanut Butter Cup coffee pods. It makes no sense whatsoever, as I love actual peanut butter cups (and peanut butter cup ice cream) but when we buy the assorted K-cups and that one comes in the mix, I can't stand the smell of it brewing.

It's probably because the flavors in K-cups are often artificially flavored. You can probably smell something weird in peanut butter cup flavoring.

How are you cooking your eggs? I fry them all the time. They don't smell.

Maybe I have the fire too high? I only use stainless steel pans. I don't own a non-stick, even for eggs. And I've been thinking since I started the thread :scratchin that it's basically the only thing I fry. I broil or bake everything else in my oven. (Fish gets sealed in a parchment paper envelope which cuts down on the smell.) So, maybe it's more the smell of too-hot oil sizzling that I smell? :confused:

Fish - all day every day and twice on Sunday! I don’t care what you do to it. How you cook it -It is stinks up the house.
Don’t you dare ever put fish in my microwave!!! Ever!!!
The only time I’ve noticed that egg smell is like egg salad after you open it up from a closed container but it’s not like it stinks up the house maybe the refrigerator

Maybe I have the fire too high? I only use stainless steel pans. I don't own a non-stick, even for eggs. And I've been thinking since I started the thread :scratchin that it's basically the only thing I fry. I broil or bake everything else in my oven. (Fish gets sealed in a parchment paper envelope which cuts down on the smell.) So, maybe it's more the smell of too-hot oil sizzling that I smell? :confused:
Personally I fry my eggs over medium heat. That might help with the sizzling hot oil issue.

Actually, I think the only time I use high heat with eggs is when I'm making fried rice in a wok. But in that case the eggs are cooked in about 5 seconds, so probably not enough time for any smell to develop.

I usually cook mine low/medium low (it's at 2 on the knob on my electric stove, somewhere between low and med on my parents' gas stove). Gotta stay below the bacon grease smoke point.

I prepare fish and eggs often and they never make my house smell bad. I do use nonstick pans, if that makes a difference.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter