S/O frustrated teachers: what career do you WISH you had

katie01

DIS Veteran
This is in regards to the thread with so many teachers saying they do NOT recommend anyone to go into teaching. My DD thinks she wants to be a teacher someday, and when I asked her what it is that appeals to her about the profession, she thought about it and said, "For that moment when a student says, 'Oh, NOW I get it!"

I need to add that she is 9 years old :D But she's an old soul, she has been playing "teacher" since preschool, and is hilarious to watch, she wears a lanyard and "teacher outfits" and has all the mannerisms of speech patterns of whatever teacher she happens to have that year. She creates lesson plans and homework and as her "student", she can keep me busy for hours with her "lectures" and presentations. It's pretty easy to see she has a natural affinity for it.

At this age I'm not going to discourage her from her dreams, and I realize most people change their minds from what they thought they'd be at age 9 (but all of DD's teachers have said, 'I was JUST like her at that age' in reference to DD's dreams of teaching.) But out of curiosity for those of you who say you'd never recommend anyone to go into teaching, what do you wish you'd done instead? Are there careers you think of, that use those same teaching skills, but in a way that you think would be less stressful or more lucrative or better in whatever way you'd want it to be from teaching?

I think it's so sad to think of a day when we no longer have passionate, good potential teachers going into the field. But I totally get why, I am sure I'd find the field way more stressful than it's worth, especially if you can't make a good living doing it.

If I could go back I'd be a educational advocate/attorney or an accountant. The attorney because maybe that's where I could have really made a difference, the accountant because I love to number crunch.

I guess I'm not a good example since I changed careers at 36 to become a teacher. Sure there will be no fame or fortune in my future but I love my students and my job and I feel like I make a difference every now and then and those moments are priceless.

There's a difference between a teacher and an educator.

An educator reads from a book and speaks a lesson. They approach every student with the same strategy and when that strategy doesn't work, they classify the student as EC or alt ed. or something similar.

A teacher, teaches. Sometimes what they teach you isn't in any lesson plan they've ever encountered. They learn each students potential and teach that student in a way that student learns. Sometimes, that teacher has to teach a class of 30 students 30 different way. Out of that class of 30 students, they might have 1 student thank them. They don't come to work for their paycheck, they come to work to make a difference. They get discouraged, heart broken, saddened, and mentally and emotionally destroyed. But the day that one student, one of the kids that just never seemed to get it, the one kid every one deemed "stupid" because he didn't learn the same way everyone else does...the day that kid comes back to school and tells that teacher "thank you for never giving up on me", that day right there makes all the years of heart break and headache worth it. That day is what a teacher comes in to work for everyday. That day is what separates a teacher from an educator.

I'm not a teacher but I was raised by one. I watched that woman cry because everyone classified her students as "bad" kids. These kids gave her a heart attack by the age of 45, caused her to go bald, gave her so much stress that her doctor told her if she didn't quit her job, she was going to die before her 50th birthday. But she loved everyone of her students and never gave up on them. She just retired after 35 years as a teacher/principal of the NC public schools. You should of seen the look in her eyes when she got an invitation to one of her "bad" kids graduation from Wake Forest University, he had became a doctor and wanted her to be the one to hand him his degree.

That one student made her 35 years of stress worth every minute.

I wrote all this to tell you that the woman I call mom, when asked what made her want to become a teacher, she would answer

"That ah-ha moment. You know, when a kid has been having trouble understanding it and you finally figure out how to teach it to them, then you see it click in their brain. That's why I wanted to become a teacher."

Just like your daughter...

An educator reads from a book and speaks a lesson. They approach every student with the same strategy and when that strategy doesn't work, they classify the student as EC or alt ed. or something similar.

A teacher, teaches. Sometimes what they teach you isn't in any lesson plan they've ever encountered. They learn each students potential and teach that student in a way that student learns. Sometimes, that teacher has to teach a class of 30 students 30 different way. Out of that class of 30 students, they might have 1 student thank them. They don't come to work for their paycheck, they come to work to make a difference. They get discouraged, heart broken, saddened, and mentally and emotionally destroyed. But the day that one student, one of the kids that just never seemed to get it, the one kid every one deemed "stupid" because he didn't learn the same way everyone else does...the day that kid comes back to school and tells that teacher "thank you for never giving up on me", that day right there makes all the years of heart break and headache worth it. That day is what a teacher comes in to work for everyday. That day is what separates a teacher from an educator.

I'm not a teacher but I was raised by one. I watched that woman cry because everyone classified her students as "bad" kids. These kids gave her a heart attack by the age of 45, caused her to go bald, gave her so much stress that her doctor told her if she didn't quit her job, she was going to die before her 50th birthday. But she loved everyone of her students and never gave up on them. She just retired after 35 years as a teacher/principal of the NC public schools. You should of seen the look in her eyes when she got an invitation to one of her "bad" kids graduation from Wake Forest University, he had became a doctor and wanted her to be the one to hand him his degree.

I wrote all this to tell you that the woman I call mom, when asked what made her want to become a teacher, she would answer

"That ah-ha moment. You know, when a kid has been having trouble understanding it and you finally figure out how to teach it to them, then you see it click in their brain. That's why I wanted to become a teacher."

You just made me cry. Really..tears rolling down my cheeks right now.

Today some of my former students came to my school to do recruiting for the Catholic all boys military high school in our area. The 3 high school freshman ran to hug me when they saw me. The 3 sophomore boys were too cool right then, but they came up to my classroom after the meeting to say "hi" and tell me all about school. They saw a bulletin board in my room that had a hen with my picture on it and 70 chicks with my students' faces on them. I have always called my students my chickens, and those sophomore boys made a point to tell me that "they" were my original chickens since they were my first graduating class at my school! It made my day!!!

I have mixed feelings about it myself. I too played school as a kid, bugged the heck out of my grandparents teaching them and making them do work and grading it :rotfl2:

I taught for 20 years and grew to hate it. Somewhere along the way I lost my spark I guess. It just seems that there is so much unnecessary stuff that goes along with teaching. I think a lot of it has to do with "poo" from administration. It just wears on you and you reach a point where you are bitter and angry. I had the added issue of an awful home life on top of really being sick of teaching. That made matters a lot worse. People say, OMG I cannot believe you quit teaching. We see pictures of you and read what former students say on Facebook, we can tell your students loved you.

I am in a different line of work now. I really do feel good about what I do. However, I could see myself getting back into education eventually. I don't want to teach right now, I just need a break.

So long story short... teaching is full of nonsense and a lot of unnecessary hassle. There are other careers that have a lot more nonsense and hassle than teaching though. If it is your dream to teach, by all means pursue it. If you are passionate about it, you will find a way to succeed. All the bad stuff that goes along with it, you can shrug it off. If you don't have the passion, or lose your passion, you will be very unhappy. I guess the same could be said about most things.

Beautiful. Your mom sounds like an amazing woman, her students were lucky to have her

What career did I wish I had?

Dictator. :laughing: That way I can remove the bureaucratic and intrusive agencies that prevent great teachers from teaching. I could eliminate some of the repulsive textbooks. It would allow me to alter the state standardized testing.

My father was a high school teacher as well and retired about 10 years ago after 35 years. He also had a heart attack at 47, went bald, and endured a lot of stress. He did it because he cared about those kids, even the "bad" ones. He is an extremely intelligent man with 2 masters degrees who could've dedicated his life to a lot of other causes, made a lot more money, etc. However, he wanted to be there for kids, make a difference, help them learn who they are and figure out who they could be if someone supported them. He taught in a city and a lot of kids came from tough backgrounds. He had many kids come back and tell him they didn't drop out bc he helped them and believed in them. He even had a kid thank him and told him he didn't commit suicide bc he knew my father actually believed he could be successful. He is well known in the city where he taught and we have a unique last name. When I still had my maiden name I would hear all the time "Are you related to Mr so and so? I loved him. He was my favorite teacher."
So, I think that every job has ups and downs, but if someone truly has a calling to teach then they need to follow that. Interestingly enough, I married a teacher too.

I suppose if I wasn't a teacher I'd have just stayed with interventional x-ray. I also love journalism/writing.

OP, I was your DD. Yes, I'm a frustrated teacher but it's not the kids who are frustrating me. I go to a job everyday that brings me joy, makes me laugh, and makes me cry. Everyday my students teach me something.

As I said in the other thread, this is year 27.5 for me. While retirement is only 3 years away and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, I can say that I would still choose to be a teacher because that's who I am. I am a middle school teacher and I couldn't see myself as anything other than a middle school teacher. Even when I retire I know that I will sub because I love the kids.

Absolutely NOT what you asked for, but I'm going to reply anyway.

I started teaching high school math in 1980. And is still LOVE my job. I love the school I'm in. I love the kids I teach. I love that each period is different from the one before. I love those "Aha!" moments. I love showing my kids that they CAN do math. I love seeing our kids grow from frightened immature freshmen into confident seniors, ready to take on the world. I love the infinite possibilities that are on each of their horizons. I love getting emails from them after graduation-- I got one the other day from one of last year's graduates, thanking me for the notes she still uses. I love getting to know the kids in my homeroom and the kids in my classes.

Check my posting history-- I brag about my kids on a pretty regular basis.

Please don't discourage your daughter from becoming a teacher. You'll be robbing her of so much joy!

Opposite here. I started college right out of high school wanting to be a teacher, and ended up taking 10 years of stopping and starting while I got married and had a family, and ultimately ended up with a business degree instead. I really, really dislike my current "corporate" job and wish I would have been able to stay the course with my education degree. (I knew I'd never be able to take a whole semester to student teach because I had three kids and a full time 9-5 job my last two years of college and had no way to take time off to student teach).

I was always around children my whole life as a big sister, then mother to them when our mother left us, then as a preschool/latch key teacher when my own kids were younger before breaking away on my life path to where I am now. It's been almost 10 years since I've been with kids on a daily basis (other than my own) and I cannot say how much I miss it.

I coach a cheer team of 5-6 year old girls right now and even though they exhaust me, lol, I feel more alive being with them 5 hours a week than any other time. I remember what it was like having a classroom of 20 4 year olds, and yes, it was a challenge - esp with their parents and administration, but I've come to realize that my true calling in life is to work with children.

Last edited:
I'll add one more thing....
I am not a teacher. I am a psychotherapist. The clients I have who are the most discouraged, stressed, drained by their jobs are not teachers. They are always the ones who someone talked out of teaching or a helping profession bc they were told business, finance, IT, etc would make them more money. Most of them wish they had followed their dream and now find it daunting to change careers as an adult.

Beautiful. Your mom sounds like an amazing woman, her students were lucky to have her

I'll throw kicker in there for you. The woman I call mom was not related to me in any way. She was an Alt Ed teacher at a school I went to. Her son and I became real good friends. She discovered I was living in an abusive household and tried to get me out of there. There was no legal way she was able to help so she pretty much would take me home every night she could and tell my evil step mother that I was spending the night with her son.

I spent at least 5 nights a week at her house, and most of the time 7.

The woman probably saved my life. She taught me what love was and how to be loved.

I may not be her biological child, but she will always be my mom.

Last edited:
A former co-worker has been teaching for 10 years now. Long enough to see the blemishes. Bad bosses are bad bosses no matter the industry. From TV it was a step up in pay and benefits. However, TV was her second career, and financially her first career paid much better, managing a McDonalds. She went from a $100,000 job to a $40,000 TV job to a $50,000 teaching job that now pays $80,000.

Dh and I both taught for over 35 years. I am still teaching at the college level but not high level courses. We would not change what we did for the world. My older son is teaching at a community college and we think our younger son may teach at the college level.

Teaching is the hardest job you could do if you really love the kids. The problem is that everyone from parents, to administrators to politicians seem to think they know what is best for teaching when most have not been in the classroom as a teacher. There are many pressures but if you can keep them in check and just think about the students you are on your way to being a great teacher.

I'll add one more thing....
I am not a teacher. I am a psychotherapist. The clients I have who are the most discouraged, stressed, drained by their jobs are not teachers. They are always the ones who someone talked out of teaching or a helping profession bc they were told business, finance, IT, etc would make them more money. Most of them wish they had followed their dream and now find it daunting to change careers as an adult.
I got a kick out of your post. I wanted to be an English major in college but changed to business because 1) all the reading and paper writing interfered with my party schedule and 2) I thought I'd get a better job as a business major.

I did get a good job right out of college as a banker. I stuck it out for 6 soul sucking years. There was no way I could have spent my whole working life doing something that I found soooooo boring and meaningless. The days dragged by so slowly, minute by minute, hour by hour, week by week. I know banking isn't boring and meaningless to everyone, but it 100% was to me. I felt like I was truly wasting my life and my talents. I am smart and hardworking, so my bosses loved me, and I was very successful, but my heart was not in it.

I worked on getting my MA in English Lit and my teaching license when I had my babies. I subbed in schools when they were little and now teach middle school English. I KNOW my job is important and meaningful. I KNOW I make a difference in my students' lives. I KNOW I prepare them to be successful high school students and eventually successful adults. I KNOW I help them to become better more compassionate and caring people. The minutes fly by; I never have enough time with them.

As I said in another thread, there are pros and cons to the job. Because of where I teach, the pros outweigh the cons for me. However, I have directed my DD to nursing, occupational therapy or speech therapy. All those jobs help people and are meaningful. She can do something meaningful on a part time basis when she is a mother and still be paid very well.

I got a kick out of your post. I wanted to be an English major in college but changed to business because 1) all the reading and paper writing interfered with my party schedule and 2) I thought I'd get a better job as a business major.

I did get a good job right out of college as a banker. I stuck it out for 6 soul sucking years. There was no way I could have spent my whole working life doing something that I found soooooo boring and meaningless. The days dragged by so slowly, minute by minute, hour by hour, week by week. I know banking isn't boring and meaningless to everyone, but it 100% was to me. I felt like I was truly wasting my life and my talents. I am smart and hardworking, so my bosses loved me, and I was very successful, but my heart was not in it.

I worked on getting my MA in English Lit and my teaching license when I had my babies. I subbed in schools when they were little and now teach middle school English. I KNOW my job is important and meaningful. I KNOW I make a difference in my students' lives. I KNOW I prepare them to be successful high school students and eventually successful adults. I KNOW I help them to become better more compassionate and caring people. The minutes fly by; I never have enough time with them.

As I said in another thread, there are pros and cons to the job. Because of where I teach, the pros outweigh the cons for me. However, I have directed my DD to nursing, occupational therapy or speech therapy. All those jobs help people and are meaningful. She can do something meaningful on a part time basis when she is a mother and still be paid very well.

Agree with all you said. I love my job doing counseling and psychotherapy and I help people all day. However, I also make my own hours and when I had a baby I was able to adjust my schedule to accommodate being a mom. Speech, OT, etc are all great helping professions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter