S/O What age did/will your kid get their first phone?

DS entering his 3rd year of college watched his physics teacher's lectures on video for the last 2 months and did not go to the classes. Yikes! As a mom I would have panicked had he not told me that by watching the videos he was still able to make As on the tests and then show up prepared for the final exam, without repercussions. Just another example of how things change.

My daughter (just finished her third year of university) signed up too late for one of her summer courses and ended up having to watch all the lectures online, because there weren't any seats left in the classroom. It's a STEM course. She was disappointed at first, but now she considers herself lucky. The professor apparently drones on and on in the most sleep-inducing manner imaginable. Fortunately, my daughter has discovered out that if she speeds up his taped lectures by just a little bit, he sounds almost normal and it's MUCH easier to stay focussed and awake. Also, they're shorter. So it's just a win, all the way around! :laughing:

My daughter was 10 or eleven. We didn't have a land line so I wanted her to have a phone for those times that I would run to the grocery store or do some other errand. She was also in after school activities so I was always more comfortable with her being able to call me if practice ended early or was cancelled and we didn't know. Her first phone had no internet and the only phone numbers programmed in were ours and her grandparents. She was probably 12/13 when she was allowed to start texting friends and had a phone with internet capability. She also bought her own fancy phone.

9 we don't have a landline. Also thought how cool to see this years trip home from her eyes...

Pretty sure our son was around 8-9. I know it's when my husband got promoted to management and received a company phone so we just transferred his number to my son instead of paying a cancellation fee or my husband having two phones. He didn't receive a smart phone until he was almost 12.

I got mine in 7th grade, my younger brother got his in 5th grade. We we're both very involved with sports and other activities, so they were mainly used to communicate with our parents about practices, games, etc. My parents are also pretty relaxed though, so they would also let us go out with our friends and do things alone so the phones definitely came in handy.

5th grade which is also when they started staying alone at after school activities as well. They texted me when they were done so I knew when to pick them up.

DD received a flip phone in about 6th grade. She got her first smart phone as a Christmas gift her senior year since we knew she would need it for college.
DS had no interest in having a phone, he would use one of ours if he really needed one. His first phone was a cheap smart phone during 10th grade.

We haven't had any problems with our kids and their phones, and have never had to place any restrictions on their use.

They both use their phones a lot. They are invaluable in high school and college, and not just to keep in touch with friends.
They hold their schedules, contacts, alarms and reminders, emails, study apps, and so much more.

I think this is one parental decision you have to make when you get there. There's almost no way to know at 7 or 9 if a child will need one at 10, 12 or 14.

Last edited:

I got mine when Pay As You Go was invented. Must have been about 13?

002900_1.jpg

I think this is one parental decision you have to make when you get there. There's almost no way to know at 7 or 9 if a child will need one at 10, 12 or 14.

I disagree. My children can give out my phone number, or the number to the spare line we have and use that to communicate with their friends.

Should they start participating in after school activities sponsored by the school, they can take the spare phone if necessary. As it is, they participate in dance, and I stay there while they are.

I am hesitant to allow them access to social media and other online access where cyber bullying can run unchecked. I, personally, do not feel small children need that access. Obviously, I am in the minority and that is perfectly fine. But just because things played out differently for your family, doesn't mean I don't know the dynamics of mine. And, I doubt my children will be ostracized because they don't have a phone when they have access to several to text or message as they need.

I know I am old fashioned, but that's just who DH & I are. And, as far as "needing" a smartphone for school, the high school assigns every child an ipad for their schoolwork, so that really isn't a concern either.

I disagree. My children can give out my phone number, or the number to the spare line we have and use that to communicate with their friends.

Should they start participating in after school activities sponsored by the school, they can take the spare phone if necessary. As it is, they participate in dance, and I stay there while they are.

I am hesitant to allow them access to social media and other online access where cyber bullying can run unchecked. I, personally, do not feel small children need that access. Obviously, I am in the minority and that is perfectly fine. But just because things played out differently for your family, doesn't mean I don't know the dynamics of mine. And, I doubt my children will be ostracized because they don't have a phone when they have access to several to text or message as they need.

I know I am old fashioned, but that's just who DH & I are. And, as far as "needing" a smartphone for school, the high school assigns every child an ipad for their schoolwork, so that really isn't a concern either.

Did you reply to the wrong post? I never said kids needed it to keep in touch with friends (although they certainly use it for that), or that they would be picked on for not having a phone. I don't believe either one of those things. In fact, compared to many posts here, my kids were relatively old when they got their first smart phones. And I didn't say they "needed" it for school, I said that it has been invaluable. But I certainly never implied a kid couldn't get by without it.

Or, Maybe my tone came across wrong in my post? If so, oops. I just know from having older kids now, that what I thought about cellphones when they were in grade school did radically change by the time they were in high school. :confused3

Oh, and I don't think you are old-fashioned. :thumbsup2

You do realize that children without cellphones in middle school will be socially separated. Unfortunately for dd14, when I added her to my cellphone plan from DH's, a glitch happened, and I get all of her text messages (she gets them too). There are so many different group chats going on at all times, close friends, dance friends, relay for life group (those were just the last three I saw). No one shares a communal family phone, I doubt any of the other kids would be comfortable with that.

I'm teaching my kids how to navigate these areas while they are still under my supervision. Once they were 9 or so, parents didn't stay at practices, your child would contact you when done. It's crazy how everything is done over social media. Heck, ds14's club soccer coach makes last minute changes by snap chatting the kids, not the parents. This isn't going away. My goal is to just try to keep up with what is new, and keep up with my kids.

By the time your kids get to high school, iPads will have been replaced with something else. I'm guessing that since most kids carry their own little computer, school provided devices will be obsolete (like textbooks).

I got my first phone at 14/9th grade (and my brother got one at 11/6th grade because I was getting one - little brothers are the worst). I work with kids now and most have a phone by 9, but there are still a handful of parents who are holding off until middle school/high school.

No one shares a communal family phone, I doubt any of the other kids would be comfortable with that.

Well if everyone else is doing it... to me, to my way of thinking, there is no reason my children need their own phone. If their friends aren't comfortable texting a communal phone, perhaps they're saying something they shouldn't anyway.

By the time your kids get to high school, iPads will have been replaced with something else. I'm guessing that since most kids carry their own little computer, school provided devices will be obsolete (like textbooks).

Not in my area. I live in a very rural area. The ipads are brand new THIS year because of the amount of students who do not have computer access at home. I don't think all of a sudden all of these households are going to upgrade since they haven't over the past 2 decades.

My oldest two were 12 when they got their first. My youngest just got hers at 11. I got it for the youngest at 11 , because I want her to be safe walking home to school/ from school. The oldest 2 same thing, and at the time I was on a different shift and didn't have a home phone.

I bought my 9 y/o granddaughter an Android smartphone for her 9th birthday in February. I will probably get her younger sister one for her 8th birthday in December. Right now she just has an iPad. The 11 y/o has had a phone for several years now.

Well if everyone else is doing it... to me, to my way of thinking, there is no reason my children need their own phone. If their friends aren't comfortable texting a communal phone, perhaps they're saying something they shouldn't anyway.

Not in my area. I live in a very rural area. The ipads are brand new THIS year because of the amount of students who do not have computer access at home. I don't think all of a sudden all of these households are going to upgrade since they haven't over the past 2 decades.
They aren't necessarily saying stuff they shouldn't, but stuff they don't want others outside of their group to see (like parents and siblings). Stuff like "Jake is so cute" "Miss Jones is such a B" "my mom is so not fair!" You know, the same stuff we used to pass notes about, or talk about on our landlines. Stuff that is no one else's business but the money dole schoolers.

I got my first phone in the 8th grade at 14. But it was prepaid and literally could only make phone calls. I got a new one once I hit high school, a small pink flip phone and I didn't upgrade THAT til I was in 10th grade with a QWERTY board blackberry type phone. After that, it was all iphones, lol!

I'm not saying your kids do or do not need a phone but you can lock them down pretty tight. My kids have no access to any of that and if they want to go on a website that's not on the approved list they have to physically bring their devices to me so I can look them over and approve with my passcode.

You do realize that children without cellphones in middle school will be socially separated. Unfortunately for dd14, when I added her to my cellphone plan from DH's, a glitch happened, and I get all of her text messages (she gets them too). There are so many different group chats going on at all times, close friends, dance friends, relay for life group (those were just the last three I saw). No one shares a communal family phone, I doubt any of the other kids would be comfortable with that.

I'm teaching my kids how to navigate these areas while they are still under my supervision. Once they were 9 or so, parents didn't stay at practices, your child would contact you when done. It's crazy how everything is done over social media. Heck, ds14's club soccer coach makes last minute changes by snap chatting the kids, not the parents. This isn't going away. My goal is to just try to keep up with what is new, and keep up with my kids.

iPhones? One of you is most likely logged into the other's iCloud account and/or has the other's number checked to receive messages. If you want it to stop scroll down to the next reply. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6724213?start=0&tstart=0

My younger kids were 10.
I'd always thought I'd wait until they were older but times changes. Bunch of reasons but the main ones were they are out and about on their own more often, there isn't a pay phone to be had anywhere in my area and kids communicate via text. I didn't want a bunch of kids texting "derp" to MY phone 24/7.

As far as addiction goes my kids put their phones away when they get home and don't really seem to think about them until the next morning. This isn't a rule, it's just what they naturally do. I do have a rule of no electronics in their rooms after bedtime. Everything gets plugged in downstairs before bed.

That is why as parents should be checking their kids phones, and their social media accounts and keep an eye on what is going on. I don't know what your definition of small children is, but by the time they get to middle school (6th grade here) most kids are on social media, and your kid does not have a phone that doesn't mean they aren't going to have access to it through their friends. Not saying you need to get them a phone, but just be aware that them not having one may not keep them from social media. I know when my youngest gets together with his friends, they are on eachothers phones checking out everyone elses instagram, snapchat, etc..
I don't think your kids will be ostracized either when they are young, but the older they get they may end up left out of things if they aren't in communication with their friends. I know you said 16, at least I think that was what you said, and that is my ds's age, he is a junior in HS. If he had to share a family phone for texts, he wouldn't get any. Its definitely different than when I was growing up, kids communicate through social media, its just how it is. Granted I don't live in a very rural area and maybe your area just hasn't caught up to technology, but if your oldest is 8, by the time they are in HS it probably will have.

I have a landline at home, so maybe having that will delay the need for a phone. I have an 8 and 6 year old and right now they are not left home alone. I do drop them off at gymnastics, but the class is a set time so I pick them up when it's done.
When my kids eventually do get phones, it won't be a smartphone. I don't think it's necessary until they have jobs and can pay for it themselves. Social media use in middle schoolers worries me especially with rampant cyber bullying. That can wait till they are older and really understand the ramifications of their actions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter