SAC to Yosemite via Hwy 49

1 goofy family

Mouseketeer
We're planning on driving from Sacramento to Yosemite through Gold Country (Hwy 49) on Christmas Eve. I have a few questions and I'm hoping someone can help.

- Will driving into Yosemite on Christmas Eve be a problem? We are staying at Yosemite West and will have to enter the park to get to our house. I'm assuming there will still be someone at the main gate, is this correct?

- How are the driving conditions along Hwy 49 during winter time? Is the weather usually mild or are we looking at heavy rain during that time?

- Mapquest says it should take approximately 5 hours to get from SAC to Yosemite. Does that sound about right?

Any other suggestions for places to see or to stop and eat would be most welcome.

Yes, you will be able to drive into the Valley on Christmas Eve - even when the entrance stations aren't staffed, they don't close the road and keep people from entering the park. If that happens and you aren't able to pay your park entry fee on the way in, the worst that happens is that you won't have a receipt, and they will charge you on your way out of the park.

The weather is usually mild, but it's winter time and you'll be at higher elevations as you climb from Sacramento to the park, so if there is a storm, you'll probably get snow instead of rain, and you should carry chains. Yosemite West is high enough that if it does snow, you probably will be required to put chains on your car to get there. Or if you have 4-wheel drive and snow tires that's generally ok, too - in very heavy snow even 4-wheel drive vehicles are required to have chains. They do a really good job of keeping the roads around Yosemite clear, though.

Christmas in Yosemite...I'm jealous!!! We were there two years ago just after Christmas and it snowed a couple of inches in the Valley - it was absolutely magical.

Thanks, ScooterL! I rented a 4WD SUV and I was going to pick up chains too. We've gone to Yosemite in winter before, but we always drove in from SF or LA. I thought we'd see a little of Sacramento and Gold Country this time. I really appreciate your information - mapquest does a pretty neat job of telling you where to go, but you never know what the conditions are like. Thanks again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter