Sad news, what can I do?

I can't imagine what your family is going through. I hope that the links provided resolved this issue for you quickly. It would be beyond cruel for Carnival to impede the process and I would be tempted to contact the media if they refuse to assist your family any further.

My thoughts are with you and your family.

Im sorry for you loss doesn't express how deeply my heart aches for you and your family.

I don't know what to tell you about who to contact and Im not sure I wouldn't go. It can be a healing trip instead of a party it up trip and could bring you peace.

Ill be praying for your family to find peace in this awful situation. God bless you.

I am deeply sorry for your loss. I have no advice but this is the route I would try:

I am so sorry for your loss. Carnivals head crusie director John Heald has a blog(you can google it) You may try posting this on his blog or contacting him through it. He does respond and can perhaps point you in the right direction. Again, I am sorry for your loss.

as sad as it is -- if you did not purchase insurance, then you do not get a refund. That is the purpose of insurance. :( so sad for someone so young to pass so randomly -- have they determined the cause?

Unfortunately I have to agree. This is why you buy trip insurance and be sure to read the policy to know exactly what you are insuring against.
This is a horrible tragedy for their family, and I am sad for them.

I am so sorry for your loss. I have no idea how to work with the cruise line but I would hope that someone in their business office would see this as extenuating circumstances. I am keeping your family in my prayers.

Again, yes these are extenuating circumstances but a case could be made for just about every traveler that has to cancel a trip for whatever reason. This is exactly why you buy insurance, You are insuring against the unknown. My heart breaks for them.

I am so sorry for your loss. You must all be stunned and beyond grief stricken.

I know a part of you is against going on the cruise, but this may be what you need. Just to get away may help you all a bit.

You don't have to "party it up", but a change of your surroundings can help you. Plus, your younger son will meet new children at clubs and such. He will get away from the grief on this cruise.

Don't be afraid of what others may think of you. Just go.

Again, please accept my positive thoughts and healing vibes. Peace to you all.

I am so sorry for your loss - I cannot begin to imagine the horror of losing a child.

I have to say that I agree with the above poster who suggested going on the cruise. I am sure at this moment it is the very last thing you would even consider thinking about, but if it is possible for you to still go on the trip, I agree that it might be a good thing for your family to be in a different environment, especially your younger son.

I am so sorry for your loss, and can't imagine the pain you must be feeling.

But what you are looking for right now, is help. I have to agree with the person who posted suggesting you contact the media.

I understand that Carnival's policy is pretty clear. But first ask this question: does it pass the 'smell' test? I mean, does it pass the test of sounding to be a policy based on what's right, or is it something where, somewhere in Carnival's chain of command, where there is a REAL person, that they can be reasoned with and come up with the proper decision on this? Is Carnival's bottom line so important that it can't allow for a refund of what, a couple thousand dollars?

This, I'm afraid, is where the media comes in, and can help. Couple phone calls, one news story, public outcry, and I'm going to guess Carnival's hand would be forced.

Harsh, yes. But who among us out there would say to this family, 'sorry you lost your teenage son, but rules are rules'? If ever a rule were meant to be broken, this is it.

And...should Carnival agree, it comes out looking like the hero.

I see you live in NJ. PM me if you need a news contact in the NJ/NYC market.

Unfortunately I have to agree. This is why you buy trip insurance and be sure to read the policy to know exactly what you are insuring against.
This is a horrible tragedy for their family, and I am sad for them.

Again, yes these are extenuating circumstances but a case could be made for just about every traveler that has to cancel a trip for whatever reason. This is exactly why you buy insurance, You are insuring against the unknown. My heart breaks for them.

I cannot argue because you are correct. I do believe that there is always an opportunity for any company to make a change that will not only provide comfort to a customer but that will promote good will and this is one of those opportunities IMO.

The business office could extend a helping hand and offer to reschedule their trip for a less painful time. They would not need to return money but even a little compassion would go a long way.

The cruise industry is very competitive and it seems to me that a company with compassion under certain circumstances would gain a lot in return by way of consumer loyalty.

I am so very sorry that you have lost your child. I am the parent of a 17yo boy and it is nearly unspeakable. Please know that what I am about to say is meant to be constructive.

I was a travel agent for 27 years. My days were full of people who did not buy insurance and had emergencies, family crisis, good reasons for the travel companies to refund their payments and look good. The thing is that some 25 years ago, most travel companies began to draw the line at refunding only via travel insurance. I buy it every time I plan a trip for my family because I've seen so many be denied refund. I am not suggesting you give up but know that it's not likely that Carnival would refund. As has been stated, travel insurance is for those unplanned health crisis and family emergencies.
It's like betting against yourself, and many choose not to purchase it. It generally IS however, the way to get a refund.

I have added you to my prayer list. I hope you can find some peace somewhere in all of this. Bless you.

I am so sorry for your loss. I can't even imagine the pain you must be going through.

Unfortunately, I've heard some really terrible things about the cruise industry, Carnival in particular, lately. I think your chances of receiving a refund are pretty small. For your sake, I hope I am wrong.

First I am so sorry for the loss of your son My thoughts and prayers are with your family.
I would try John heald he is carnival's senior cruise director and spokesperson he can help you out or find someone who can.
http://www.facebook.com/JohnHeald or www.JohnHealdsBlog.com.
He has help my family and other families with problems.

I cannot argue because you are correct. I do believe that there is always an opportunity for any company to make a change that will not only provide comfort to a customer but that will promote good will and this is one of those opportunities IMO.

The business office could extend a helping hand and offer to reschedule their trip for a less painful time. They would not need to return money but even a little compassion would go a long way.

The cruise industry is very competitive and it seems to me that a company with compassion under certain circumstances would gain a lot in return by way of consumer loyalty.

I agree 100%, and speak from experience. My mom had a stroke in April after the cancellation deadline for our June HAL cruise. She did not buy travel insurance. I don't know what our Travel Agent did, if anything, out of the ordinary, but HAL had no issue with a full refund, same with Alaska airlines. So cruise lines do make exceptions, and I should note that HAL is owned by Carnival, so keep trying. Just the little bit of bad publicity Carnival is getting on this forum would cost the company more than just making the refund. It's just good business.

Go straight to corporate. Get the number of the dm or the rm, (district, regional manager). Keep getting someone that is higher up.

So sorry for your loss.

As a parent of a 17 year old son, I am heartbroken by your story.

While legally Carnival may not have to do anything, I think they should make a goodwill gesture regarding your trip and your son's fare.

Good luck.

I am so sorry for your loss. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

I agree with other posters. Go on the cruise. You need to get away for a while.

As far as getting a refund, another poster suggested writing to the president of Carnival. I concur. When I worked in the sales department of a major corporation, our president would send us "president's letters" where customers had written to him with complaints or requests, with directions on what he wanted us to do to satisfy the customer. Sometimes, his directions went against our normal policies, but were not illegal, unethical or immoral. I will tell you that when we received one of those letters, we dropped everything and did whatever the president told us to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter