• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Safe to walk around Harbor Blvd at night?

Goldie111

Earning My Ears
We will be visiting DL in late August with our 2 kids aged 4 and nearly 2 and we are staying at the HoJo. As the kids will probably be exhausted after a long day, we were thinking of taking them back to the hotel after dinner and putting them to bed. One of us will then stay with the kids while the other heads back into the park for some more rides/shows etc. So my question is - would you feel safe walking from the HoJo back to DL alone late at night? I guess it would be a busy area in the day but what about after dark? Or would you advise taking a shuttle?
We are from Australia so really have no idea about the area.

Thanks for helping out a clueless Aussie.

Goldie

Oh yeah. Its well lit for a lot of the way. There's tons of people walking all day. I do that walk all the time and not once have I ever felt it was an unsafe neighborhood or anything. You're good to go!

I felt comfortable with the walk. It is a busy street and seems well-lit, plus there were large numbers of other families also making the same walk, so even though I was "alone", I wasn't the only person walking at that time. The park closed at 12 the nights that I did this (walked to Camelot, which is just a couple of buildings closer than HoJo), and I left the parks around 11:30 PM, and nobody gave me any trouble.

Yes I would feel safe. I have walked from the Carousel and Desert Inn and Suites on my 2 last trips to the Anaheim Gardenwalk for dinner and back at around 9pm after the park has closed and never had a problem.
I think as long as you are aware of your surroundings, like you would be in any situation you should be fine.
If you are just walking between the parks and Hojo, it will still be busy at night, and the shops at DTD are open later then the parks, so people are still walking back to their hotels a while after the parks close.
To me, it would be a waste of money to get a shuttle, if you hadn't already had a ticket from earlier in the day or had a day or 3 day pass etc.

I agree with the others. I've never felt unsafe walking to HOJO on Harbor at night.

It's safe. I've walked solo, but in the morning. My Mom and I have walked together late at night and felt safe.

I recommend walking on the hotel side of Harbor instead of crossing at Manchester and walking on the DL side. It's a little more well lit and with the people coming to and leaving those hotels, it might make you feel a bit safer. Then once you reach the light at Captain Kidd's you can cross Harbor to DL.

There will be plenty of others leaving at the same time as you back to their hotels as well, so you shouldn't have to worry!

It's mainly Disney tourists with the occasional homeless person settling in on a bench for the night. Apart from feeling worried *for* those people, I've never felt worried while walking.

I've walked that route at night with just me and my girls, never felt unsafe. I would do it myself at night with no worries. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter