Sail-A-Wave

Flea

Mouseketeer
Does anyone else not go to the Sail-A-Wave party? What do you do instead?

We went on our first cruise and by the time we got from muster with 3 kids there wasn't anywhere to view from, I'm thinking of doing something different next time to avoid that part.

We went straight from muster to deck 10 (wonder) to overlook the stage area. Maybe this was a mistake (or maybe it was because of the fact this was the first time Disney cruises have been Down Under).

Either way we are booked again and would love something that is a tad less chaotic lol. We will be with teens/adults and only one child next time.

We always skip this. Too crowded, noisy, and full of forced conviviality. After the lifeboat drill, we'll just stay on Deck 4, which empties quickly, and peacefully enjoy the ship as she leaves the berth and makes her way through the harbor. In departure ports like New York or Vancouver, this can be spectacular viewing for a protracted time, and we often find it the best opportunity for sightseeing for the entire trip. A good alternative, which we've done on some cruises, is the top deck near the bow. This is especially fun if the ship has to pass under one or more bridges on the way out of the harbor.

We always skip this. Too crowded, noisy, and full of forced conviviality. After the lifeboat drill, we'll just stay on Deck 4, which empties quickly, and peacefully enjoy the ship as she leaves the berth and makes her way through the harbor. In departure ports like New York or Vancouver, this can be spectacular viewing for a protracted time, and we often find it the best opportunity for sightseeing for the entire trip. A good alternative, which we've done on some cruises, is the top deck near the bow. This is especially fun if the ship has to pass under one or more bridges on the way out of the harbor.
I do like deck 4, promenade and deck 10 (not during party/shows) on wonder is where we hung as it usually was away from people lol.

We may grab a drink and just hang there :D thanks

Another vote for hanging out on deck 4. We love watching the actual sail away, and deck 4 is the best place for that.

I skipped it on my second cruise, the 4 night Spain cruise from Southampton in 2023. My previous cruise was on The Magic in 2022 where it was still the virtual muster. On that cruise I went to deck 10 early and got a great spot.

On The Dream it was my first experience of a normal muster drill and by the time I got to deck 12 it was really crowded and busy. I gave up trying to find a spot and went to Currents and got a drink and then went to Satellite Falls. It was a really chill way to watch the sail out from Southampton. I still heard the horns but had a much nicer experience. I stayed there I had to leave for early dining.

There were a lot of UK vloggers on my cruise and ALL of them were at the Sail A Wave. My cruise was one of the 25th Anniversary Sailings so it was a different Sail A Wave party. After watching the videos and seeing how crowded it was , Im glad I stayed at Satellite Falls.

Im booked on the 5 night Spain cruise from Southampton in August and my plan this time is to go straight to Meridian Bar after the muster drill and watch the sail out from there.

I am Gold and I've never seen it. We always just go back to the room to unpack and chill before dinner

By the time we go to muster, then up on deck for the Sail-a-way (we usually stand in the back to watch us leave port) and then we're running for dinner - especially now that it seems like it's a half hour earlier. I swear first seating was 6:15p but our last cruise it was 5:45p.

Hi. I'm not sure if this is on the Fantasy; however, on the Magic, they have a "kids zone" for the Sail A Wave party. It is a roped off area right next to the stage where only kids are allowed. My child always watches from there and I stand right behind her (past the rope). If you children are interested in seeing the show, this might be an option.

Hi. I'm not sure if this is on the Fantasy; however, on the Magic, they have a "kids zone" for the Sail A Wave party. It is a roped off area right next to the stage where only kids are allowed. My child always watches from there and I stand right behind her (past the rope). If you children are interested in seeing the show, this might be an option.

26 cruises with Disney and I did not know about this. :laughing: What a great idea! I don't have littles but I hope they do do it on all ships.

I usually watch from stage level (are they different on the big vs smaller ships, I should know by now), off to the side, behind either the kids area or the area that will be roped off for wheelchair users or by whatever gezebo the DJ is set up in. That goes for any show on deck.

Like someone else said, though, the vloggers are getting a little out of control and I'm kind of getting annoyed at watching shows around and through other peoples cameras. The Color Dance party on our last TA was TERRIBLE with all the "influencers" standing right up front.

But I've always found stage level to be less crowded than looking down from above (and easier to move around, too).

26 cruises with Disney and I did not know about this. :laughing: What a great idea! I don't have littles but I hope they do do it on all ships.
I think this just started on ships in recent years. I know after 31 cruises I go up to top deck looking over deck tbh Wish had best views for me being a adult and short

Can you see any of the Sail A Wave by the Waves bar on the Dream?

Last edited:
I've only done 2 DCL cruises. The first one I went to the Sail A Wave, and the second I stayed in my stateroom (verandah) and watched the ship leave port from there. Definitely enjoyed watching from my verandah much better. Less crowded (obviously) and better view!

Personally, I love the sail a wave party, even on our adult only trip. Its a lot of fun to get ready to take off BUT getting herded up their like livestock right after the muster drill kinda ruins it for me personally.

We usually do a balcony room so usually go out on the balcony as a family as we sail away. Usually have a good chance to see some dolphins jumping. Kids get bored and go inside and DW and I stay out and enjoy.

On the Fantasy and Dream we went to the Satellite Falls area to enjoy the view from the front of the ship as we sailed away. On Wish, we went to Star Wars lounge. It was empty and the bartender spent a lot of time with us adding bubbles to our kids drink.

You folks are starting to talk me out of going. It is fun but very crowded... Do you know if Vista cafe serves the drink of the day? My muster is on deck 4 and it would be nice to geab a drink after it and go sit outside on deck 4 maybe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter