• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sailing next month on the Fantasy

greenkai3000

DIS Veteran
Two of us will be going on the Fantasy for the first time next month. We have a few questions, and would love to hear some suggestions please. Our ports of call will be St Thomas and Tortolla, btw.

1) Do they have Lyft/Uber service, and are they cheaper than taxis? do most places take credit cards?
2) What are the MUST do things that won’t require multiple transfers , be it via public transit, ferries, or cabs? Keeping in mind we are on a tight schedule, as we will only have a limited amount of hours at each port. Bars , restaurants, and museums won’t be a priority either.
3) Are they any clean , decent looking beaches that aren’t way out of the way, or too far from where the ship will be docking?

Thank you all in advance.

Well sounds like we could possibly e on the same cruise next month!

1. I was on the same cruise back in Aug. I don’t remember seeing Lyft/ Uber at either port. I know at St Thomas they have a sign as soon as you get off the ship with prices to get to certain locations on the island. Unfortunately not certain about the credit card usage BUT there is always an option on both of the islands that there should be a car rental agency close by. I know this time we are going to rent a car on Tortola and we still haven’t decided whether the take a taxi or just take the lift up to the top of a hill and grab a drink and look at the view.

2. I think this will check the box on both of your 2 next questions…. In my opinion the beach and snorkeling are the best things about both islands… Magan’s Bay, Sapphire, and Secret beaches would be the ones I recommend.. I went to the beach over by the marine animal place( can’t think of it off the top of my head) and I really didn’t like that beach unless of course you like marijuana.

Hopefully that helped at least a little!

We just returned from this itinerary on Saturday so let me take a shot.

I don't believe Uber/Lyft is available on St Thomas or Tortola. I remember asking at one of the stops and I was told they definitely don't operate there....I just don't remember which port it was.

In Tortola, we did the Jeep and Beach excursion through DCL. We LOVED this. My husband drove the Jeep and we were in a group with 5 other vehicles. We took an open air tax from the port to the location and then set off from there. The guides were fantastic and we went to Smugglers Cove which was a quiet beach on the other side of the island. We were the only ones on the beach and it was the best beach I have ever been to. After the beach, we stopped at a shell museum (although that one was a bit sketchy) and then a lookout point on top of the island. We had plenty of time when we returned to visit some of the shops in port and then casually make our way back to the ship.

In St Thomas, we did the Dolphin Splash and Swim through DCL. We again had an open air taxi that took us to Coral World (I think this is the marine animal place the previous poster mentioned). The dolphin experience was fantastic....but the rest of Coral World not so much. It is quite obvious that the pandemic shut down has impacted this facility and honestly some of the staff we encountered there just didn't care. After our dolphin interaction, we strolled over to Coki Beach which was right next door. We were approached a few times as we strolled along about chair or umbrella rentals, but were never pressured. There was a VERY strong marijuana smell about half way down the beach.....strong enough that I believe if you sat there long enough you wouldn't have a care in the world. We made sure to make it back to our meeting point on time as we were told if we weren't there, we would be left behind and have to get a taxi which would cost $9 per person to get us back to the ship.

I will add that in each port, there were taxi stands at the end of the pier as well as people there that would wave down a taxi for you. They did have the prices listed, but I only glanced at them. It did seem as though they were transparent about pricing.

If you have any other questions on this itinerary, I would be happy to try to answer them.

Another question I have is, Is there a way to request to change our pta to an earlier time?
I am not aware of any way to change your port arrival time to an earlier time. If that were the case, hundreds of people each sailing would be asking for that. Keep checking the website/app for an early PAT to open up (sometimes it does happen) and you can just change it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter