Saint-Pierre and Miquelon

I haven't but it's fascinating to me. Occasionally it's a stop on Atlantic Canada/New England cruises and I'd love to go there and visit France. :teeth:

I've been there twice. Flew there from Sydney for our honeymoon and then travelled with our kids via car/ferry during a trip to Newfoundland 20 years later.

I've been there twice. Flew there from Sydney for our honeymoon and then travelled with our kids via car/ferry during a trip to Newfoundland 20 years later.
What’s it like? Does it feel like you’re in France or Canada?

What’s it like? Does it feel like you’re in France or Canada?

I would say that on the first trip (in 1990), it really felt like France. On the second trip ( which was only an overnight stay) it felt more like Canada, but it wasn't quite the same. There were 220 volt plugs in the hotel, for example and items in the shops were priced in Euros and were often unfamiliar brands.

The main populated area on St Pierre is very small - it's just a village but with some additional services due to it's isolation. There are only a a few hotels and they are small. The streets are narrow and often have convex mirrors at the intersections to help you see if traffic is coming. You can walk to everything but the cars you see are a mix of European and North American. The ferry we took in 2010 was a passenger-only boat - there was a faster ferry that could carry cars back and forth from Newfoundland, but it was being repaired and needed parts from France that kept it out of commision for most of that summer.

In 1990, all the stores were independents or a few French chains, but on our second visit there was less variety and I think I recall there being a Home Hardware franchise or something similar that was new since our first visit. Both times the food was very good - no Tim's or Starbuck's or other chain fast food.
On our first visit, it definitely had the feel for me of the kind of island you read about it an Agatha Christie, where we kept meeting the others who had come over on our flight over and over again. It didn't have quite the same feeling the second time, but you still had a sense of the isolation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter