Salad Suggestions??

L

loisg1

We're going to a picnic on Saturday and are taking a salad... except I don't really have any ideas. There's a lettuce salad with dressing that has a sour cream and vinegar base that my MIL makes but it's her deep dark secret. If anyone's familiar with that type of PA Dutch dressing I'd appreciate the lo-cal version of that. DH doesn't like broccoli so that's out... but I wanted to take something different than cole slaw, potato or macaroni salad. Any help would be soooo appreciated!!!:sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

Imitation Crab Salad:

Imitation crab meat
fresh mushrooms
celery
onions
carrots
lettuce
maries italian dressing
crab boil

cut the mushrooms, celery and onions in small pieces. Grate the carrots. Break the crab meat into small bits. mix all together. mix some crab boil into the italian dressing. Use a little and taste and if you would like more then add it. This salad has not portions just as much or as little as you like. Then stir in the maries italian dressing. use as much as you like. Place on a bed of greens.

Very good.

Here is another one a little different, but everyone who I have served it to loves it.

roasted Beet Salad
Fresh Beets
Thyme
Kosher Salt
String Beans Blanced
Leeks a few of them
goat cheese or feta
Dressing
salt and pepper
Sherry Vinbgar tsp

Take Alum. Foil and make a basket for each beet. Place beet inside ( wash the beet off and dry. Pour some olive oil on top of beet and sprinkle with thyme. Make a bed of kosher salt in the bottom of the basket. place the beet on the kosher salt. Bake 35 for about 4 minutes. Test to make sure soft. When cooked remove from oven and let cool
Leeks peel off outer skin and score the bottom of the leek. Tie together and Blance 5 min
blance the string beans.

Dressing
mix until dissolved the salt and pepper, vingegar and mustard. add the walnut oil and mix.
peel the cooled beets.

On plate put some lettuce. place the sliced beets on top then leeks, string beans and goat cheese. Pour some of the dressing on top and serve.

It sounds complicated, but it is very easy to do.
Walnut oil 1/2 cup

Tortellini Salad

1-2 packages cheese tortellini (in refrigerator section)
1 small can sliced black olives drained
1 head cauliflower chopped
1 head broccoli chopped (omit if desired!)
4-5 carrots chopped
1 bottle italian salad dressing
parmesan cheese
2-3 roma tomatoes sliced

Prepare the tortellini according to directions on package.
Drain and cool slightly. Combine in salad bowl with olives, cauliflower, broccoli, and carrots.
Toss with entire bottle of italian dressing. (the pasta will absorb a lot of it and get a really good flavor) Cover a refrigerate until ready to serve. When you are ready to serve (or head to the picnic) garnish the top with sliced roma tomatoes and sprinkle generously with parmesan cheese.

Everyone always wants me to bring this salad to church potluck suppers. This recipe isn't exact. Vary the amount of peas, cheese, etc to your taste. It serves a crowd.

Layered Salad

1 head iceburg lettuce, torn
1 head cauliflower, cleaned and cut into salad-sized pieces
1 large sack frozen peas
1 small jar mayo, low fat works if you prefer it
Salad seasoning
Parmesan cheese

In a large (I use a huge Tupperware) bowl layer the lettuce and then the cauliflower. Put a layer of peas over the top of the cauliflower. (I use probably 3/4 of a large sack). Top with the whole jar of mayo. Spread it to form a seal over the peas. Shake on a generous layer of salad seasoning and then a generous layer of Parmesan cheese. Cover and put in the refrigerator overnight. When ready to serve, toss.

Warning: the salad is difficult to toss and must be mixed up pretty well or you'll have lumps of mayo.

How about an Oriental Cole Slaw?

Much different taste... I just got hungry for it & made myself a bowl! I guarantee no one else will have anything like it, and it's soooooooo easy!

Oriental Cole Slaw

1 bag shredded cole slaw mix
1 package Ramen noodles, oriental flavor
8 oz. (1 cup) sunflower seeds (minus shells, of course)
1/2 cup olive oil

Put cole slaw mix into large bowl. Break Ramen noodles up with can (you don't want dust, but you want fairly broken up noodles). Add sunflower seeds and noodles to cole slaw mix. Mix seasoning packet from Ramen to olive oil, and drizzle over cole slaw. Mix thouroughly and let sit in frig for at least 2-3 hours before serving (can sit longer... flavors & textures get better & better!)

It has a nice nutty flavor... yummy!

I know this is a bit late for your family picnic...but this is our favorite summer salad

2 cups cooked orzo (I try to find the tri-colored, put the plain white ones are fine too!)
1 green pepper chopped
1 onion chopped (we like the sweet onion varities)
1 jar of roasted red peppers, drained, chopped
2 ears of cooked corn on the cob/corn removed from cob (I used left over corn, I'm sure the frozen corn, thawed, would work just as well)
1 can or artichokes packed in water, drained and chopped
1 cucumber - diced
1 summer squash - diced
1/2 pint of cherry tomatoes - cut in half

toss everything together, add salt and pepper to taste, drizzle with EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL..use a good olive oil. use enough oil to give the salad some flavor..but it should be light tasting and not oily.

You can add just about any fresh veggie you have in the fridge...the salad is also great as a base for a piece of cold grilled chicken for a refreshing lunch to take to work etc.

enjoy! (also great made with cuscus instead of orzo pasta)

Again, too late for your picnic, but I thought I'd share this salad recipe. Its yummy!

Springtime Salad
(Plan to make the day before serving)

1 head fresh cauliflower
1 bunch fresh broccoli
1 small red onion, separated into rings
1/4 lb. bacon, fried crisp and crumbled
1/3 c. grated parmesean
1/3 c. granulated sugar
1 C mayonaise
salt & pepper to taste

Separate cauliflower into flowerettes, the cut into pieces. Chop broccoli. Combine cauliflower and broccoli, onion, bacon and cheese. Mix sugar and mayo together, then add to vegetable mixture. Add salt & pepper. Refrigerate overnight to blend flavors.

Hope you like it.
I'm printing this thread! The other recipes sound great!

Here's a very simple green salad that has gone around my family a few times!

Spinach
red onions diced
mandarin orange slices
blue cheese (small crumbles)

You can serve this with either a warm bacon dressing or a balsamic vinagrette.

Mmmm, reading about all these yummy salads is making me hungry. Thanks for all the great ideas you are sharing! I need to try some of these.

These all sound great for the next go-round of picnics!! And simple, I like simple;) ;)

Pasta Salad

1 package of tri-color rotini (corkscrew) pasta
Some cut-up vegetables (red pepper, broccoli and/or cauliflower florets, scallions, radishes--whatever you have and like)
1 package of Good Season Italian dressing, prepared

Cook the pasta to the al dente stage--a little underdone is better. Drain and rinse well with cold water. Put in a big bowl (preferably a tupperware-type thing). Add vegetables and cover with most of the Good Seasons dressing (shaken well after preparing per package directions). Save about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of the dressing if you are not serving the salad immediately.

Toss the pasta, veggies and dressing. If serving the next day, add the remaining dressing then and mix well.

Bon appetit! (Note: No reason you can't add some cut-up chicken and/or crumbled bacon and/or cheese cubes too. Let your refrigerator and imagination be your guide.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter