• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Salmon Questions!

Mysterian

Perfectly Impractical
Can you recommend a good type and brand of Salmon? And what way do you cook and prepare it?

I'm open to your salmon suggestions, DIS boarders!

i keep it simple... i only buy wild caught fillets...... sockeye or whatever.... as long as it is not farmed, the added color to farmed salmon eeeks me out.

I cook simple too.... skin side down on a cookie sheet, salt and pepper, sometimes a little olive oil. bake at 350 or so, usually about 20-30 min... until it flakes, but it is not too dry... depends on how thick it is.

i use a spatula to cut and slide the salmon off the skin which usually sticks to the cookie sheet. Sometimes depending on mood I will add a teriyaki glaze or some kind of sauce after cooking; but I love salmon... so often like it really simple without a lot of extra added stuff.

We only eat wild caught. Watched a documentary a few years ago how farmers who raise salmon have paint chips they use to “pick” how orange they want it to be with they dye they use to inject them with. Ever since then, I figure we are better off eating wild.

I like to cook it in the air fryer with honey and garlic. So easy and yummy.

Place on a cookie sheet (skin side down if it's not skinless), pat dry, slather with garlic butter, hit it with a little salt and pepper or Old Bay if you have it, generously squeeze fresh lemon over then slice the lemon thin and place the slices on top of the fish before roasting gently in the oven or on the BBQ (leave it on the cookie sheet - don't put the fish straight onto the grilling surface).

I prefer wild-caught over farm-raised when it comes to salmon or any fish for that matter. If you have never tried Copper River Salmon you absolutely have to try it. In my opinion, it's the best salmon available on the face of this planet. The season is very short for it and usually starts around May 15th and ends in the middle of June. I discovered Copper River in all places, WDW. I ordered it at the old Artist Point and loved it. The next year when we were dining at Victoria & Alberts in the Queen Victoria Room, in passing to our server I mentioned Copper River Salmon. Several minutes later the chief stopped by our table with a complimentary sampling of it. WOW! Since then, I have had it at several restaurants outside of WDW. I highly recommend you Google where to buy it. It's not cheap, but so good. I ordered some a few weeks ago and was not disappointed.

As for how to prepare it. I do it in many different ways with many different recipes. But my favorite way is to simply grill it. It comes out flaky, tender, and melts in your mouth good.

i keep it simple... i only buy wild caught fillets...... sockeye or whatever.... as long as it is not farmed, the added color to farmed salmon eeeks me out.

I cook simple too.... skin side down on a cookie sheet, salt and pepper, sometimes a little olive oil. bake at 350 or so, usually about 20-30 min... until it flakes, but it is not too dry... depends on how thick it is.

i use a spatula to cut and slide the salmon off the skin which usually sticks to the cookie sheet. Sometimes depending on mood I will add a teriyaki glaze or some kind of sauce after cooking; but I love salmon... so often like it really simple without a lot of extra added stuff.

Don't have a brand per se, but I do agree with the above being a great, simple and foolproof ! We always go for wild caught if at all possible.

I buy fresh salmon at the fish market. My favorite way to cook it is to marinate in teriyaki (Mr. Yoshida, VeryVery Teriyaki, etc) and then cook it out on the grill. Leave the skin on so the fillets hold together better while grilling. Another way we enjoy it is when I chop a bed of greens (Swiss chard is my favorite), sprinkle some small-diced onion on the greens, then garlic powder and S&P, then drizzle with some olive oil. Lay the fish on the greens and spread with Italian pesto from Trader Joe's (it's a basil/parm pesto) and bake at 350-400 for about 20 mins, depending on the thickness of the fillets (look online for more accurate baking temp/time).

Can you recommend a good type and brand of Salmon? And what way do you cook and prepare it?

I'm open to your salmon suggestions, DIS boarders!
Wild caught and preferably from PNW. I’ve a standing order during the season but any purveyor that follows the guidelines set out by Monterey Aquarium’s Seawatch is good: https://www.seafoodwatch.org/

So many ways to cook the fish that are easy. Simplest? Slow and low Is great for sushi lovers. Place fish on a sheet pan at 250 degrees for 15 minutes up to an hour. Serve with a green sauce such as tarragon, sorrel, or watercress. Chimmichura is good too as is a freshly made salsa.

Or coat with miso paste, maple syrup and grill. Poach in a microwave or stovetop with fresh herbs or a court bullion is always fast.

Here for TOP QUALITY >>>

https://popsiefishco.com/
sashimi -- so slice and eat with sauce or not, nothing simpler

From the US Navy >> K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Stupid

Cast iron skillet med. hot
Pat of butter or oil
S/P both sides, yes even skin
FLESH SIDE DOWN FIRST allows beneficial fats to enter fillet, only a few minutes depending on thickness
Flip and crisp skin side if desired
EAT

Last edited:
We like the big family pack that is a big half fish from Wegmans, it's usually around $22 and feeds the entire family dinner with some to go on salad the next day.
Foil on the bottom of a big cookie sheet, leave the skin on, it makes a great barrier to prevent burning, personally I serve leaving the skin in the pan. I broil on high 5 min then drop it to broil low for 10, I usually wrap it as I get everything else on the plate.

https://www.delish.com/food-news/news/a52904/white-stuff-cooked-salmon-albumin/
According to Gordon Ramsey on one of his Hell's Kitchen episodes, when you see a lot of white goop collect on top it has cooked too long, he does it in a pan but I don't trust my skill level and attention level lol.

Market Spice online has great blends that I mix with oil and put on top, although a few weeks ago we had family over for a BBQ and I put Sweet Baby Rays on top and put it in the oven, it was much better than expected.

Last edited:
I like the center cut salmon fillets that have part of the fin, (at least I think it's the fin?) It has one thicker side and tapers into a thinner side. I like the flavor of the fin. It definitely isn't the tail end.

Trader Joe's has great fresh salmon fillets in their fresh meat/seafood section at the side of the store. They are vacuum packed, but FRESH. The ones I like are called "bbq cut," style, pre-cut into 2-inch wide slices. You can throw the whole pack right in the freezer. Yet, I like to separate them, wrap them in plastic wrap separately. They freeze beautifully and can be pulled out one at a time as desired. Do NOT get the pre-frozen ones at TJ's. They just do NOT taste the same. :crazy2:

I also occasionally like a good salmon steak. It looks like a 1-1/2 inch thick horseshoe.

I prefer to steam the salmon in a parchment paper packet. The fish doesn't dry out that way. I get the parchment rolls from the Dollar Tree. It doesn't have a coating the way some other parchment paper rolls do to make them oil & moisture resistant. So, I cut a sheet to size and give it a quick rinse under the faucet. It absorbs enough water that the packet doesn't scorch while baking. I also saw someone put a sheet of foil over the parchment packets to stop them from scorching.

On the bottom of the parchment, I put in a couple tablespoons of water. Sprinkle salt and pepper and some dill onto both sides of the salmon. Set on the parchment. Squirt on some lemon juice. (Sometimes I'll add a tablespoon of butter. Tastes great, but that adds on extra fat.) Sprinkle a tablespoon more water on top. Fold over the parchment into an envelope and seal edges. Bake in the oven at 400 degrees, about 12 min. for a fillet, 17 min for a salmon steak. Bake frozen fillets for about 22 min.

Unwrap the packet - watch out for the steam! Check to see if it's done. It should flake easily and be more of an opaque whitish peach color. Re-wrap and put back in for a few more minutes if necessary. Do NOT overcook as the fish will keep cooking for a couple more minutes due to residual heat even after you pull it out of the oven. If you find it is already a little overcooked, flake apart right away. That will help cool it and distribute some of the heat, so it stops cooking.

It may take a few times to get the timing of how your oven bakes it, to get this right. Don't give up. Salmon is one of my favorite fish to cook. But, I ate quite a few overcooked ones at the beginning. :headache:

Last edited:
I fixed Salmon last night. I’ve done it many times this way and it’s super easy, quick and delicious. Sprinkle with lemon pepper and salt and sauté in some olive oil till 1/2 way cooked through. Flip and sprinkle other side and put a small pat of butter on top. Turn down heat to low and place lid on top. Cook for another 2-3 minutes depending on how thick your filets are. Then tip skillet and baste fillets with melted butter/oil. So good!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter