Salt Sticks - Are they ok to use for an entire marathon race?

Ran my 18.5 run yesterday with Endurolytes. I used 2 capsules every hour. This was my longest run to date ever - had some tightening of the muscles and therefore slower pace (not cramping), my last two miles. Can't say it was the Endurolytes but rather probably the fact that my body is getting pushed to those limits. I did still had some hand swelling (wedding ring wouldn't budge) so not sure if I should have increased the number of capsules on the hour, or should have just taken 2 sooner than an hour. Still playing with balance. I see differences in content between Salt Sticks and Endurolytes and not sure which one is best for me. I don't want to overload my body and end up a mess with too many electrolytes. Just to reiterate and make sure I'm doing this right...I'm taking 2 capsules/hour with water only. No Sport drinks at all. I'm also taking in a couple ounces of water every mile and also taking gels on a regular basis as well. I also had 1/2 banana around mile 13-14.

Hand swelling can be somewhat normal on the run... I would not worry until I had issues bending fingers. About every 15 minutes or so, shake out the arms and hands. You may even want to do a couple swimmer rotations.

You may want to try the next long run with an additional cap or alternate the hours so even hours are 2 and odd 3 (makes it easier to remember).

Final thoughts, you may also want to verify hydration is good. Weight pre and post run w/o clothing. Ideally, one would weight the same. On training runs, I would try to work my hydration so that I was within a percent of the same weight post run. Issues really do not occur until you go somewhere past 2 percent.

Hand swelling can be somewhat normal on the run... I would not worry until I had issues bending fingers. About every 15 minutes or so, shake out the arms and hands. You may even want to do a couple swimmer rotations.

You may want to try the next long run with an additional cap or alternate the hours so even hours are 2 and odd 3 (makes it easier to remember).

Final thoughts, you may also want to verify hydration is good. Weight pre and post run w/o clothing. Ideally, one would weight the same. On training runs, I would try to work my hydration so that I was within a percent of the same weight post run. Issues really do not occur until you go somewhere past 2 percent.

Thanks for responding Coach.

No, had no problem bending fingers.

Have been watching my before/after weight. This week, I was pretty much even, so I felt that whatever I was doing, was ok.

I'm always worried about taking in too much potassium, salt, etc. and messing myself up big time. Yesterday's run was cool and not as wretchedly humid as it has been. I didn't sweat nearly as much as I normally do. As I push upwards in miles, just wanted to fine tune and get this right so that I'm as good as I'm going to get for the marathon. Thanks for the tip on 2 vs 3 an hour. :)

Ran my 18.5 run yesterday with Endurolytes. I used 2 capsules every hour. This was my longest run to date ever - had some tightening of the muscles and therefore slower pace (not cramping), my last two miles. Can't say it was the Endurolytes but rather probably the fact that my body is getting pushed to those limits. I did still had some hand swelling (wedding ring wouldn't budge) so not sure if I should have increased the number of capsules on the hour, or should have just taken 2 sooner than an hour. Still playing with balance. I see differences in content between Salt Sticks and Endurolytes and not sure which one is best for me. I don't want to overload my body and end up a mess with too many electrolytes. Just to reiterate and make sure I'm doing this right...I'm taking 2 capsules/hour with water only. No Sport drinks at all. I'm also taking in a couple ounces of water every mile and also taking gels on a regular basis as well. I also had 1/2 banana around mile 13-14. Oh - wanted to add that I am a slower runner. I will be right up against the pace limits of my marathon in Oct. (MCM).

Seems like you're pretty close to having it dialed in- which is good thing! Sometimes I'll use a little sports drink, Hammer HEED for us- it's a little lighter than a gatorade/powerade, but often times it's just water, gels, and endurolytes- so I think you're fine there. Here's a good article (among many you can find) from Hammer about endurolyte usage, hopefully there is something beneficial in it for you! Electrolyte Replenishment

Dr Metzl's video just blasted out on Runners World. I am beginning to think that RW monitors my posts and then blasts out good info.

http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-...432122-_-09172013-_-How-to-Stop-Muscle-Cramps

A couple things from the video...

Foam Roller! Get one.

Dr Metzl suggests eating salty the day before a long run. Not so sure that I agree for one reason... Folks tend to hear the one day and apply it to every day. Studies suggest that if you digest a salty diet then you actually need more salt (electrolytes) through the run because your diet is affecting your basal hydration. I do agree that adding salt the night and maybe the lunch before a long run helps top off your electrolytes and pushes up the hydration levels.

Also, take care in taking on slats on the run. As stated previously, todays electrolytic caps contain a huge percentage of buffer (calcium) to aid in bringing on the slats. Pure salt may/will create hydration issues while on the run.

Otherwise, good stuff here.

A quick review if Dr Metzl's IronStrength Workout mentioned in this vid... This is a great workout. I highly suggest starting these exercises in a place where you can look in a mirror. Form is critical.... form is critical. Once form fails, stop. The regressed work is rather advanced, I would suggest trying to work at the minimum reps/time for anyone who attempts this... If form fails, stop. Once you can get through he regressed work, then push up to the advanced work. What do you mean regressed/advanced. In the first video, Plyo Squats, the goal is 8 sets of 15 plyo squats. Doc briefly mentions starting with 6 sets. Of 15 regular squats. For most folks not working legs other than through a run, 6 sets of 15 will create DOMS about 24 hours later.

Again& form is everything.

Dr Metzl's video just blasted out on Runners World. I am beginning to think that RW monitors my posts and then blasts out good info.

http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-...432122-_-09172013-_-How-to-Stop-Muscle-Cramps

A couple things from the video...

Foam Roller! Get one.

Dr Metzl suggests eating salty the day before a long run. Not so sure that I agree for one reason... Folks tend to hear the one day and apply it to every day. Studies suggest that if you digest a salty diet then you actually need more salt (electrolytes) through the run because your diet is affecting your basal hydration. I do agree that adding salt the night and maybe the lunch before a long run helps top off your electrolytes and pushes up the hydration levels.

Also, take care in taking on slats on the run. As stated previously, todays electrolytic caps contain a huge percentage of buffer (calcium) to aid in bringing on the slats. Pure salt may/will create hydration issues while on the run.

Otherwise, good stuff here.

A quick review if Dr Metzl's IronStrength Workout mentioned in this vid... This is a great workout. I highly suggest starting these exercises in a place where you can look in a mirror. Form is critical.... form is critical. Once form fails, stop. The regressed work is rather advanced, I would suggest trying to work at the minimum reps/time for anyone who attempts this... If form fails, stop. Once you can get through he regressed work, then push up to the advanced work. What do you mean regressed/advanced. In the first video, Plyo Squats, the goal is 8 sets of 15 plyo squats. Doc briefly mentions starting with 6 sets. Of 15 regular squats. For most folks not working legs other than through a run, 6 sets of 15 will create DOMS about 24 hours later.

Again& form is everything.

Thanks Coach!

So if you are taking these Endurolytes on a log run, should you only drink water on that long run? Or can you still alternate water and something like Gatorade. Basically, are the Endurolytes a replacement for a sports drink while on a long run?

So if you are taking these Endurolytes on a log run, should you only drink water on that long run? Or can you still alternate water and something like Gatorade. Basically, are the Endurolytes a replacement for a sports drink while on a long run?

They are a replacement for the electrolytes in the sports drink, but not the calories. So if you're using Gatorade as your fuel as well, if you switched to endurolytes + water you would want to add something for fuel, be it gels, sports beans, etc.

They are a replacement for the electrolytes in the sports drink, but not the calories. So if you're using Gatorade as your fuel as well, if you switched to endurolytes + water you would want to add something for fuel, be it gels, sports beans, etc.

I do take Honey Stinger chews as I do long runs as well. Currently testing out a pack of 10 every 4 miles or so with some water. I have done this the past two long runs without any GI issues.

Someone recently told me that gels, shot bloks, etc. have the same ingredients (sodium, potassium, etc) as the Endurolytes and that I was essentially taking too much and that I should cut down my Endurolytes to 1 an hour. Makes my head spin trying to find 1. what is true or not, 2. the proper balance which is safe and effective for me.

Someone recently told me that gels, shot bloks, etc. have the same ingredients (sodium, potassium, etc) as the Endurolytes and that I was essentially taking too much and that I should cut down my Endurolytes to 1 an hour. Makes my head spin trying to find 1. what is true or not, 2. the proper balance which is safe and effective for me.

I think my original reply to the thread had a cautionary tone for the general reader, but that with the sport drink issue, we talked it out and you are a good candidate for where you were at with the caps.

The short answer is that yes, the sport fuel has electrolytic adders included to some degree. The fact that a few salts are included in fuel is one reason some folks have issues with certain brands; simply the solids hitting the tummy are too much.

Since we are all an experiment of one, we all have differing salt (electrolytic) concentrations in our sweat. I cannot with 100% certainty say what is too much or too little without sticking you in a lab and sampling your sweat. That would be the only sure way of saying what is too much or too little. What we can do is discuss generalities and base decisions on our conversation.

First, you are adding caps to your run to offset a sport drink issue. If you drank approx 50% sport drink and took in 24 oz of fluid an hour, you would be consuming 12 oz of sport drink. PowerAde would have supplied you approximately 80 mg of sodium for that hour. Endurolytes supply 40 mg of sodium per cap. Unfortunately, the USDA does not require the other electrolyte content to be disclosed so we cannot compare other nutrients. However, for sodium, 2 caps an hour is a wash when you are subbing them for sport drink.

The other issue here is that dosing is a matter of trail and error. I am glad to see you figuring out your game plan this early rather than on race day. Frankly, I do not think any of us would really want to add these salts on a daily basis. The purpose of consuming these supplements is to offset the salts lost during sweat while on the run. Keeping to 2-4 caps per hour will not harm most folks.

Hang in there.

I think my original reply to the thread had a cautionary tone for the general reader, but that with the sport drink issue, we talked it out and you are a good candidate for where you were at with the caps.

The short answer is that yes, the sport fuel has electrolytic adders included to some degree. The fact that a few salts are included in fuel is one reason some folks have issues with certain brands; simply the solids hitting the tummy are too much.

Since we are all an experiment of one, we all have differing salt (electrolytic) concentrations in our sweat. I cannot with 100% certainty say what is too much or too little without sticking you in a lab and sampling your sweat. That would be the only sure way of saying what is too much or too little. What we can do is discuss generalities and base decisions on our conversation.

First, you are adding caps to your run to offset a sport drink issue. If you drank approx 50% sport drink and took in 24 oz of fluid an hour, you would be consuming 12 oz of sport drink. PowerAde would have supplied you approximately 80 mg of sodium for that hour. Endurolytes supply 40 mg of sodium per cap. Unfortunately, the USDA does not require the other electrolyte content to be disclosed so we cannot compare other nutrients. However, for sodium, 2 caps an hour is a wash when you are subbing them for sport drink.

The other issue here is that dosing is a matter of trail and error. I am glad to see you figuring out your game plan this early rather than on race day. Frankly, I do not think any of us would really want to add these salts on a daily basis. The purpose of consuming these supplements is to offset the salts lost during sweat while on the run. Keeping to 2-4 caps per hour will not harm most folks.

Hang in there.

Beyond sodium, is there a risk of too much potassium being taken between the gels and the capsules? Last 1/2 this weekend, there was a food/water stop and I took 1/2 a banana. It gave me a boost but was wondering if overall the combination of potassium in the capsules/gels/food was also too much? Should I back off of gels/capsules when taking in actual food?

Again, thank you for your continued patience. I'm new at the full distance and trying to work out a balance that's safe and right...don't want to collapse out there by some overload of the wrong things. Just trying to get through it and actually enjoy it without harming myself with too little/too much of any one thing. Hope this makes sense.

Beyond sodium, is there a risk of too much potassium being taken between the gels and the capsules? Last 1/2 this weekend, there was a food/water stop and I took 1/2 a banana. It gave me a boost but was wondering if overall the combination of potassium in the capsules/gels/food was also too much? Should I back off of gels/capsules when taking in actual food?

Again, thank you for your continued patience. I'm new at the full distance and trying to work out a balance that's safe and right...don't want to collapse out there by some overload of the wrong things. Just trying to get through it and actually enjoy it without harming myself with too little/too much of any one thing. Hope this makes sense.

I do not believe there is an overdose issue with any of the minerals/salts included in race fuel or sport drink; especially in the concentrations of these products. As an example, the minimum recommended daily intake of potassium is 4700 mg. One cap contains 25 mg., a banana 400 ish mg and a pack of blocks 20 mg . If one is working hard and sweating, the intake can and should increase to preserve the body's balance.

One of the reasons to practice all this well in advance of the race is to understand what your body needs and or can handle while on the run. It is purely titration without heading into the lab and analyzing metabolic rates and sweat concentrations and rates.

From a personal perspective, I take Endurolyte caps at the first aid station after the beginning of a new hour. I would delay the caps one aid station if taking on fuel (or take on the fuel one station early) more from the possibility of adding too much solid into the stomach than from an overloading of salts.

Hope this helps.

I do not believe there is an overdose issue with any of the minerals/salts included in race fuel or sport drink; especially in the concentrations of these products. As an example, the minimum recommended daily intake of potassium is 4700 mg. One cap contains 25 mg., a banana 400 ish mg and a pack of blocks 20 mg . If one is working hard and sweating, the intake can and should increase to preserve the body's balance.

One of the reasons to practice all this well in advance of the race is to understand what your body needs and or can handle while on the run. It is purely titration without heading into the lab and analyzing metabolic rates and sweat concentrations and rates.

From a personal perspective, I take Endurolyte caps at the first aid station after the beginning of a new hour. I would delay the caps one aid station if taking on fuel (or take on the fuel one station early) more from the possibility of adding too much solid into the stomach than from an overloading of salts.

Hope this helps.

It certainly does help. Thanks again Coach.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter