San Angel Inn

DrKnow77

Mouseketeer
My fiancée and I are thinking about making a PS for the restaurant in Mexico. However, I'm a little timid about the selection. We have an authentic Mexican restaurant where I'm from that I love. However, I always "Americanize" my dinner ( requesting no beans, no guacamole, etc.)

What are your experiences here? Do you think I will enjoy the selections with my tendencies to "Americanize" the menu options?

Thanks!

DrKnow77,

Of course, everyone's idea of a good meal is different, but there are few restaurants in WDW that seem to generate as much disagreement as San Angel, with strong proponenets and equally strong detractors.

That having been said, our experiences with San Angel have been almost universally positive but we have always gone with the Chef's Selections (often truly Mexican (non-American) choices). We reallly like non-American foods and we love the theming at San Angel.

However, some patrons have complained that their dinners were "gross" or "inedible" and they could be right, too. Some of these are people who are looking for more Americanized tex-mex foods. They choose enchiladas or tacos at San Angel and find the results disappointing. Perpaps, san Angel just doesn't "do" these dishes the way many Americans expect or perhaps San Angel doesn't make these dishes well. (To be fair, some people have loved the "tex-mex" foods there.)

That having been said, I'm sure you're not the first patron to request more "American" food at San Angel and I'm sure they'll try to accomodate you. If you like the atmosphere, you may find the meal worth paying for, whatever the food is like. On the other hand, since San Angel may not do "Americanized" foods well, you may not be too thrilled with the results they offer you, either.

Go with caution and enjoy whatever you choose!
Took

I am a fairly picky eater and I loved my food at San Angel last year. I had the Mole Poblano. I don't remember what my DH had but he also enjoyed the food there. You could look at the menu for the restaurant and decide if there is anything that interests you. They have a great database of menu's here under dining. I agree with Took, its all a matter of personal preference.

Happy Planning!!

dos thumbs down for san angel inn. food was kinda vaguely ok and the service was down right rude.

Hi, Stacy6552. Oh, no! CAn you give us some details? When did you eat there? Which foods? Perhaps, things have declined lately.

TooK

ok let me think...... we went in nov 2001. i cant remember the food we ate. it was ok i guess, but unlike the coral reef where i didnt care much for the food but loved the resturaunt, it certainly wasnt worth going back for. the staff stood around chatting while we waited for them to help us. the manager really pissed me off, when he body checked me without notice or apology. the service was slow, as well.

Can adults order off the children's menu? I have a PS there for lunch with my mom in May, I know she would rather have a cheeseburger, that's what she always orders at Chi Chi's! We're trying to hit some of the WS restaurants we haven't tried before.

We ate there last summer, it was the worst meal we've ever had at WDW. I swear event hough each of us ordered something different, they brought four plates of the same cardboard. Our server took our order and we never saw him again. It was delivered by someone else, and we had to have the hostess track down the check.

It was the only time I stiffed a server in my entire life. What I should have done was find a manager and not paid for it at all.

And btw--I get authentic Mexican regularly at home, so that isn't the problem.

Anne

I agree with Ducklite. It's not as though we haven't ever dined at an authentic Mexican restaurant. We live in an area that is FULL of all kinds of Mexican restaurants from Tex-Mex to authentic. We've also dined at them in California, Texas, and IN Mexico where we've vacationed numerous times. The atmosphere at the San Angel is very nice. The margaritas are very good. The tables are a bit close together, the service wasn't good when we were there, and in OUR opinions the food quality just isn't there. It gets some rave reviews so I do think it depends on personal taste. Up until not long ago I would have said that "Sure and adult can order off the childrens menu". But we had friends who went to San Angel in December and my friend said that nothing really appealed to her on the menu except the chicken quesadillas ($4.99) on the child's menu so she asked if she could order that. They said that she could but it would be $17.95. Cost wasn't her main concern but she was planning on ordering dessert and explained that all she could really eat was a child's size portion and she would be happy with that and they said, "Sorry." She ordered it but said her family gave a big thumbs down to the food. I've never ordered off the child's menu myself but have always read that WDW is usually very accomodating about it so I hope her experience was a fluke and not some new Disney policy.

You won't have any trouble there...just order the chicken nachos...they are excellent...for all those people who love their mexican americanized!

We have lunch at San Angel every trip. We love the food, we have never had a bad meal there yet! We also very much enjoy the atmosphere and we always enjoy the margaritas! Even my very picky ds enjoys the cheeseburger.

My then boyfriend (now my husband:D ) and I went March 2001. Although the atmosphere was nice and enjoyable, the food was not so great. It's not bad, but it could be better. Maybe it was what we ordered. I don't remember what we ordered though. Basically I wouldn't recommend it. That's just my opinion though :) Maybe you would have a better experience than we did. Have a great trip!

Almost every WDW will have hits or misses. We went in June 2002 and had hits.

I had the beef filet dish, 1st entree on dinner menu. It was outstanding. My husband had the mole poblano which was also outstanding.

I have always noticed a trend in the reviews for SAI. People who order the TEX Mex dishes - bad reviews. People who stick to the authentic Mexican - good reviews. I noticed that a previous poster said the same thing.

If I were you - I'd go look at the menu at www.wdwig.com and see what appeals to you. If its tex mex - reconsider. If its the more authentic Mexican, give it a whirl.

The atmosphere is nice regardless. The service is slow although I've had much worse elsewhere.

I have been to the San Angel Inn for every visit to WDW. Now, I have dined there for late lunches (on westcoast time I guess?) 2-4 pm when the park was HOT!. Every time I loved the food and the service. Everything I had was flavorful and the service was excellent, however the restaurant was not full.

On a personal note I eat everything from down home cookin' to sushi and hate fast food, if that makes any difference.

-Erica

I think the food is real good here, but not great, but good. They have some really good Margaritas!

My hubby and I have eaten here twice, once with my parents and once with my sister and brother in law. Both times everyone enjoyed the food - my husband and I booked it a second time - and the service was fine.

It is a tight restaurant - the tables are very close together, and it is dark.

But I agree, this restaurant polarizes people -- a lot. Since starting to come here, I don't give a blanket recommendation to this one to friends any longer. Check out the menu - and maybe go for lunch which will be less expensive. If you like it, you can book dinner next time.

In general World Showcase restaurants have kid food from that country's cuisine. Don't expect to find cheeseburgers or American-style chicken nuggets. My youngest son loved the chicken quesadillas b/c they were nothing except chicken, cheese and tortilla.

We had an excellent meal at San Angel last summer. I agree that the tables are too close to each other and our server didn't have much to say -- because, I think, he didn't know much English.

My husband and I have eaten here twice. The first time I ordered the Carne Asada Tampiquena (basically, filet mignon with black beans over mexican rice w/a side of fried plantains). My husband had something terrible (I think it was something like quesadillas). The next time we both got the filet and it was, again, wonderful. The server only brought a fork and a butterknife. I didn't notice until he left. I thought, "Great. Now I'm going to have to wait until he gets back to get a steak knife." Wrong. The steak was so tender, I almost didn't need the butterknife.

Since I've only had this one dish, I don't feel that I can recommend the restaurant, but I can recommend the filet!

Service was not bad, and we love the atmosphere (especially in contrast to the hot Florida sun). It's best when not too crowded, though.

We ate there last month and give it mixed reviews. DH had the filet (first item on the menu) and liked it. DD had nachos and had no complaints. I asked for an enchilada or a taco, neither of which was offered as an entree, but was considered a side item. The waitress brought me an enchilada which was just the right amount of food for me and tasted OK.

Our biggest complaint, and the reason we won't go back to this restaurant: The tables are too close together. I couldn't even get out from our table to use the restroom - there was a server who left tray tables in two different walkways. :( Also, it was hard not to listen to conversations at neighgoring tables. The tables only about 4 inches apart! :( I don't mind meeting new people and hearing about their lives, but gee - I didn't really want to hear the details of one couples' honeymoon! :eek: Maybe we should just try it for lunch or whenever it isn't so crowded. :confused:

Before our February trip I also asked lots of questions about this restaurant, I know it gets bad reviews sometimes.

I got lots of tip, some people like this restaurant, some hate it, but my Grandchildren wanted to go.

We went early around 5, it was not crowded, service was good. I was told to request a seat by the water. These are the best seats.

MY Grandchildren loved it here, Lucy had her usual chicken fingers. Nat and I ordered Nachos and Queso Fundido to share. DH ordered the soup and Mahi Mahi. Grandchildren had fruit smoothies, DH a Mexican beer and I had a Margarita. Everything was good. I've had better food while at WDW, and I've eaten at places that I'll never return too. We were not disappointed and I would return.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter