• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

San Diego Hotel - Wyndham or Springhill Suites?

allaboutthemouse

DIS Veteran
I know these are close to each other… the Wyndham would be $100 cheaper for the bayside room we want, but I am concerned about some of the recent reviews on Trip Advisor about cleanliness and being dated. But they do have a balcony and airport shuttle…thoughts? And Disers recently stayed at either one?
Thank you!

We have stayed at the Springhill Suites and are staying there again in January. The rooms were nice and it was an easy walk to the port.

We have stayed at the Wyndham twice and are staying there again (in a bayview) at the end of this month. Never had any issues. The rooms are a bit small and yes it's a bit dated but it's always been clean and the staff is friendly and helpful.

We have stayed at the Springhill Suites and are staying there again in January. The rooms were nice and it was an easy walk to the port.
Thank you! Going in January as well :)
We have stayed at the Wyndham twice and are staying there again (in a bayview) at the end of this month. Never had any issues. The rooms are a bit small and yes it's a bit dated but it's always been clean and the staff is friendly and helpful.
Thanks! Have you used their free airport shuttle?

No because we have always flown in and out of LAX (far cheaper for us even with gas and car rental). That being said, when we drive down from LAX later this month we are putting the San Diego airport as our drop off for the rental car because the office closest to the hotel will already be closed when we get down there. So my husband will need to use the shuttle then to get back to the hotel lol (or we might all use, haven't decided yet if I will get dropped off with the kids and luggage and have him return the car or if we'll all return the car and all take the shuttle to the hotel with the luggage).

No because we have always flown in and out of LAX (far cheaper for us even with gas and car rental). That being said, when we drive down from LAX later this month we are putting the San Diego airport as our drop off for the rental car because the office closest to the hotel will already be closed when we get down there. So my husband will need to use the shuttle then to get back to the hotel lol (or we might all use, haven't decided yet if I will get dropped off with the kids and luggage and have him return the car or if we'll all return the car and all take the shuttle to the hotel with the luggage).
If you don’t mind, let me know how it goes!

I stayed at the Wyndham in october. Next time I will try the Intercontinental.

Pros:
Airport shuttle
Price
You can walk to the cruise port.

Cons
Dated hotel.
Loud noises all around room. I barely slept.
Claim Jumper only the breakfast restaurant nearby and was understaffed, so long waits.

Last edited:

For anyone reading this thread contemplating taking the train from LA/Anaheim know that passenger rail service is halted at San Clemente. You will be bused to the next station, which I believe is Oceanside.

I heard about the Amtrak problem from LA to San Diego so my friend and I might drive or fly from LAX. Our cruise is not until May so it might be fixed by then….

Pros:
Airport shuttle
Price
You can walk to the cruise port.

Cons
Dated hotel.
Loud noises all around room. I barely slept.
Claim Jumper only the breakfast restaurant nearby and was understaffed, so long waits.
If you're good with just a small breakfast or just coffee and a danish or muffin there is a coffee bar in the lobby and there is a deli next door. We always just grab a quick bite from there as we try to get on the ship as early as possible and head straight to Cabanas lol

I've stayed at the Springhill Suites by the port on a recent Sea World trip. The rooms were clean/up-to-date, and they had a really nice complimentary breakfast with plenty of options.

A bit pricey by comparison, but an extremely nice facility. One advantage is DCL will take your luggage directly to the ship, can't remember what the charge was though. There was a DCL rep in the Bell Hop lobby. There is even a wine store right there if you are taking wine on board.

Should have added, I'm a bit surprised with all the "Dated" comments about the Wyndham since they went through a major remodel in 2014.

Last edited:
There is a little deli next to the Wyndham that is good and inexpensive. It is also right across from the ship if it is berthed in the the far right slip as you look at the port.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter