San Diego peeps - question on apartments

gumbypee

DIS Veteran
I am being pro-active and looking for apartments. I had job interview on Monday and I thought it went fairly well. The job is in Clairemont area. I have a 35 lb dog (not a restricted breed) and I am looking for a decent apartment but of course as cheap as possible without being sketchy. I do realize I will pay at least $1500 probably. Anyone have any reccomendations? I would like to stay within a 20 minute drive to Clairemont area (Genesse and Balboa ish area is the possible work)

Thank you much!

I live in Pacific Beach which is really close to Clairemont. I can walk to the beach, the bay, and many restaurants. I love living here! It is a younger age range - mostly college-aged kids. If this appeals to you, try looking at Bay Pointe or Ava Pacific Beach. Both have great amenities. PB will be more on the expensive side because you are paying to live so close to the beach.

Clairemont is pretty central. Unless you are looking to live right on the ocean (or need a large apartment) I think you should easily be able to find an apartment for less than 1000 within 20 minutes of work.

I live in North Park right off of the 805 and near the 163. It's a great neighborhood near Balboa park with lots of great restaurants and places to go. Those two highways will take you right up into Clairemont very quickly.

That being said, you take your pick - more or less any neighborhood from Downtown all the way north to La Jolla (rush hour is super nasty in La Jolla - but it's nasty everywhere) is within 20 mins of Clairemont more or less whenever. Just avoid living too far from the 5, 805, or 163. Here's a few suggestions for you -

Do you like malls/strip malls and big box convenience? -
Consider Mission Valley (or Clairemont itself even)

Do you prefer the suburban lifestyle?-
Consider Mira Mesa or Scripps Ranch

Do you like living by the ocean? -
If you're into the laid back/Hippie lifestyle consider Ocean Beach
If you want to feel like you're on college spring break (and like the bar scene) consider Pacific Beach
If you want to live perpetually with tourists consider Mission Beach
If you have military friends/family consider Point Loma
If you have a lot of money consider Coronado or La Jolla

Do you like locally owned shops and restaurants?-
If you also want to be close to downtown consider Golden Hill
If you also want to feel more "neighborhoody" consider University Heights or Normal Heights
If you want to be very close to the park (and/or are LGBTQ) consider Hillcrest
If you want a mix of those options consider North Park or South Park
If you have a lot of money consider Bankers Hill or Burlingame

Do you want to live in a hilly neighborhood?-
If you like tourists consider Old Town
If you want to live among mansions consider Mission Hills
If you want to be further north consider University City

Do you prefer an Urban environment?-
If you like tall buildings, theatre, and baseball consider Downtown
If you want cheaper rent and prefer more ethnic diversity consider City Heights

Also beware -
MANY people trying to sell apartments will say they are in one neighborhood when they are actually in another (for instance, many apartments labeled "North Park" or "South Park" are actually located in City Heights, many apartments labeled "Golden Hill" are actually located in Logan Heights or Barrio Logan, and many apartments labeled "La Jolla" are really in PB or University City).

Clairemont is pretty central. Unless you are looking to live right on the ocean (or need a large apartment) I think you should easily be able to find an apartment for less than 1000 within 20 minutes of work.

I live in North Park right off of the 805 and near the 163. It's a great neighborhood near Balboa park with lots of great restaurants and places to go. Those two highways will take you right up into Clairemont very quickly.

that sounds good - Do you have an apartment name?

That being said, you take your pick - more or less any neighborhood from Downtown all the way north to La Jolla (rush hour is super nasty in La Jolla - but it's nasty everywhere) is within 20 mins of Clairemont more or less whenever. Just avoid living too far from the 5, 805, or 163. Here's a few suggestions for you -

Do you like malls/strip malls and big box convenience? -
Consider Mission Valley (or Clairemont itself even)

Yes, this sounds most like me -everything within five minutes of me

Do you prefer the suburban lifestyle?-
Consider Mira Mesa or Scripps Ranch

Possibly

Do you like living by the ocean? -
If you're into the laid back/Hippie lifestyle consider Ocean Beach
If you want to feel like you're on college spring break (and like the bar scene) consider Pacific Beach
If you want to live perpetually with tourists consider Mission Beach
If you have military friends/family consider Point Loma
If you have a lot of money consider Coronado or La Jolla

Do you like locally owned shops and restaurants?-
If you also want to be close to downtown consider Golden Hill
If you also want to feel more "neighborhoody" consider University Heights or Normal Heights
If you want to be very close to the park (and/or are LGBTQ) consider Hillcrest
If you want a mix of those options consider North Park or South Park
If you have a lot of money consider Bankers Hill or Burlingame

Do you want to live in a hilly neighborhood?-
If you like tourists consider Old Town
If you want to live among mansions consider Mission Hills
If you want to be further north consider University City

Do you prefer an Urban environment?-
If you like tall buildings, theatre, and baseball consider Downtown
If you want cheaper rent and prefer more ethnic diversity consider City Heights

Thank you so much! you seem very knowledgeable - greatly appreciated!

Also beware -
MANY people trying to sell apartments will say they are in one neighborhood when they are actually in another (for instance, many apartments labeled "North Park" or "South Park" are actually located in City Heights, many apartments labeled "Golden Hill" are actually located in Logan Heights or Barrio Logan, and many apartments labeled "La Jolla" are really in PB or University City).

I rent a house - so no apartment name/complex.

Everything is close in San Diego if you're in one of the central communities (you don't have to live right next to the mall to be close to it). Good luck! Private message me if you need some more help.

argh. just found out I did not get the job. super bummed. was really looking forward to moving out there. yall are lucky to live in a beautiful place.

Thank you plasticletters for your help and willingness - greatly appreciated!

:(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter