San Diego suggestions....

msemomofthree

Earning My Ears
My two DDs and I will be flying into San Diego next month to stay with friends north of there. Our flight arrives around noon and our friends can't pick us up until between 5:00 and 6:00 pm.

Does anyone have suggestions on something we can do to occupy ourselves in the meantime? I'd be open to a tour of some sort if it was really good, but it could be something as simple as wandering through tourist shops. But we will have our luggage with us, so does anyone have a reliable option for the luggage that would be cheaper than a storage spot? I priced one out and it was really expensive!

Oh, my DDs will be 9 and 11 at that point, so no champagne brunch type tours. ;)

Thanks in advance!

I'd be open to a tour of some sort if it was really good, but it could be something as simple as wandering through tourist shops.

But we will have our luggage with us, so does anyone have a reliable option for the luggage that would be cheaper than a storage spot? I priced one out and it was really expensive!

Seaport Village has tourist shops - it is on the Bay.

Taxi to the HYATT Hotel - that is right next to Seaport Village (approx $15.00 one way)

Leave your Luggage with Bell Services at the Manchester Grand HYATT Hotel (call to verify - this option)

I have left my luggage with Hotels that I was not a Guest - several times.

Some Hotels have a per piece of luggage rate - others I tip.

Last edited:
The easiest thing to do would probably be to rent a car and put the luggage in there. You could either pay a one way drop off and meet your friend at a rental location near their home or drop it at the airport when they pick you up. How far are your friends from the airport? Ask if they'd be willing to mail you a key or leave a key with a neighbor for you to pick up. Then you can take a shuttle drop luggage at their house and move on to a half day activity. I did once store a bag at Santa Fe Depot many years ago, I think it cost $5 and I'm sure I had to show an Amtrak ticket. Santa Fe Depot is about 2 miles from the airport, across from the American Plaza trolley stop.

Go to Balboa Park for a walk around the gardens and museums. Have lunch at the Prado (reservations essential). Perhaps catch an IMAX film in the Ruben H Fleet Space Theatre.

Balboa Park was built for the 1915 world exhibition celebrating the opening of the Panama Canal. It is absolutely beautiful, and the crown jewel of San Diego. The Space Theatre is in one of the many museums in the park, and has the world's largest domed IMAX theater. Seeing an IMAX film in that theater is truly an immersive experience.

Balboa Park is also home to the San Diego Zoo, but you likely will not have enough time for a worthwhile tour of the Zoo.

If you get a car, consider Coronado Island. You can explore the amazing Hotel del Coronado (the Grand Floridian was modeled after it) and the beach there is very nice too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter