San Diego to Disneyland Question

DCLMacro415

Earning My Ears
So my family and I just booked a DCL cruise on the Wonder in December out of San Diego. We are flying in from the east coast and want to maximize our time in California. We are planning to spend a couple days at Disneyland after the cruise. Looking for best ideas on options for transportation. We are debating on renting a car and driving from San Diego to Disneyland, and fly out of LA rather than drive back to San Diego for our return flight. One way car rentals add some additional fees, just curious if there are other options out there or if anyone has done this before and has some tips?

I am generally not a fan of public transpiration but the train between SD and SL is actuality pretty effective. You will still need an Uber on either end and it won't save you any time plus your are subject to a strict travel schedule...so it is just a toss up on cost.

Look at car rentals from SAN to SNA...those can sometimes be significantly cheaper than using neighborhood locations.

You can take the train, but it's gonna be a LONG trip and you'll still need local transportation on either end. The one-way rental is the best choice IMHO.

As someone who has taken the train from San Diego to Anaheim a lot, it’s really not much longer of a trip than driving. Traffic through south Orange County is terrible and can add between 30-45 minutes (or an hour if you’re especially unlucky) to the trip. The train is way less stressful and it’s nice to be able to stand up, stretch your legs, have a drink, etc.

OP -You’ll need to Uber from the San Diego airport to the cruise. But you will be able to just walk across the street to the train station when your cruise is over. When you arrive in Anaheim, you can take a bus (free with your train ticket) or an Uber to your hotel. We always Uber and the ride is around ten minutes and usually around $12-$15. Your best bet for getting to LAX from Anaheim is an Uber or car service.

I would fly home out of SNA if at all possible. It is closer to DLR, a very easy Uber/Lyft ride from the DLR area to the airport (easier to secure a ride and the prices will be much cheaper) and it is a much easier airport to get around than LAX with a lot shorter lines to check bags, security etc. If you are staying within walking distance of the DLR gates, you would not need a car on your DLR days. We have priced the one way rental between SNA and San Diego many times going the opposite direction-- flying in to SNA and going home from San Diego. We always wind up spending a few days in the San Diego area and then driving back to SNA to fly home because the one way rental price can be pretty crazy. The flights were never the problem-- booking separate legs usually did not cost any more than round trip from SNA-- it was the rental car that was an issue. Maybe you will get lucky, or maybe the opposite direction will be better. We haven't tried the train- but since it sounds like the station is right where the cruise will drop you off that doesn't sound like a bad idea.

We went from San Diego to DLR years ago and rented a car.

It was a one way rental and we dropped it off when we got to DLR. (at the time we stayed at GCH and Alamo was in Downtown Disney) However, there is a Enterprise at Paradise Pier and many other car rental places within a few miles. Personally, if the price isn't insane, I would rent the car and drop it off when arriving to DLR so you don't have to pay for parking (unless you are staying offsite) and just Uber to SNA. If it is cost effective to keep the car, then you can chose to fly out of SNA, LGB, or LAX. No doubt, SNA is the easiest option but typically not the cheapest.

I would not drive all the way back to San Diego.

While I think the train ride is great, if you are coming off a cruise, the transport to and from the train will be difficult with all of your luggage. I don't know how many people are you traveling with, but if it's more than 3 and you all have at least one piece of luggage, you might end up needing to take more than one car coming and going from the train.

One way car rental is likely your best scenario.

the transport to and from the train will be difficult with all of your luggage
We haven't found it so. We typically each have one large rolling suitcase and a backpack. No problem maneuvering the 4 blocks to the train station in San Diego.

That said, I understand that there are people who travel with more luggage than we do, but it's certainly still do-able with lots of bags, as there are many taxis, Uber/Lyft, whatever available at the port/train station.

That said, in this case, a rental car might be best, but you'd still have to get to where the rental car is.

While I think the train ride is great, if you are coming off a cruise, the transport to and from the train will be difficult with all of your luggage. I don't know how many people are you traveling with, but if it's more than 3 and you all have at least one piece of luggage, you might end up needing to take more than one car coming and going from the train.

??? The train station is only two blocks from the cruise terminal. It is closer than most car rental places.

I'd take the train. You see stuff you don't see on public roads, it's a cool train ride and heck you can have a few drinks while you're enjoying it all.

Have done it many times and have never regretted it. Like others have said though, when you start to consider your group size, luggage, Ubers from Anaheim station to Dland, etc. then you'll want to make sure everyone is up for dealing with those added factors.

As others have said, the train station is walking distance from the cruise terminal. It’s an easy walk as long as you aren’t talking more than a couple of bags per person.

But it's not walking distance from Disneyland...it is a consideration.

I was only commenting on what previous poster said about getting to the train station from the cruise terminal. It’s not walking distance from the cruise terminal to the rental car garage. If they’re going to rent a car, they’d have to go from the cruise terminal to the rental car garage, which will require a shuttle or Uber. So they’ll either need to take a shuttle or Uber to the rental car place at the beginning of the trip up to Anaheim, or an Uber or bus to Disneyland at the end of their trip up to Anaheim if they take the train.

Prior to the pandemic, the train was our primary mode of transportation to Disneyland from San Diego when we were passholders. We Uber to the train from our home and then from the Anaheim station to DLR. We haven’t had any issues fitting 5 people plus luggage in an Uber XL. Any more than that and they’d have to take two cars.

We took Amtrak from San Diego to Anaheim. It was a very pleasant, smooth ride. It takes a few hours. I would recommend it as a solid option.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter