• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

San Diego Zoo or Sea World?

Minnie824

DIS Veteran
Working on planning our itinerary for next June. We'll be traveling w/our DDs then ages 5.5 and 3. Which do you think would be better to go to, Sea World or San Diego Zoo? We live in Chicago area, have been to Brookfield Zoo many times which they enjoy, so I'm thinking they'd like the zoo, but also wondering if Sea World would be something different? We already have Legoland and Disney planned for other days. What do you think?

My five and three year old LOVE Sea World! The San Diego Zoo, it's sometimes hit or miss with seeing the animals depending upon the time of day.

I think Sea World would be the better choice between the two, especially since your kids have already had the "zoo" experience in Chicago. It'll be something new and exciting for them. :)

I would do SeaWorld. There are many things to do for all ages. Try the breakfast with Shamu for that close up experience.

Jack pirate:

I would go to Sea World too. We live in San Diego and both parks are great. If you are able to visit your local zoo, then I would choose Sea World. It has something for all ages. I think you will enjoy it!

We love both the zoo and sea world, but if I had to pick one, no question it would be sea world. It's hard to say who enjoys it more, me or the kid.

I'd recommend Sea World for you. My friend and I went to the Zoo last year in July and (a) it was hot, (b) it was expensive and (c) they try for a more natural environment there, so it's not as easy to see the animals. If you regularly go to a zoo, go to Sea World. We went in 2004 and all three of my kids loved it.

You could do San Diego Zoo's wild animal Park. It's different then our regular zoo (We're members at Brookfield Zoo) with the exception of having panda bears etc.

Seaworld

SD Zoo is a stroller nightmare hugh hills and lots of them. Yes you can do the bus tour and the skyway but it's still alot of walking up and down hills and steps to get to certian attractions.

Just a thought to tink about.

SW was just great the Cirque type show was very nice.

Another vote for Sea World. We did the Zoo and SW when we went a couple years ago and while I had fun at the Zoo, and I am glad that I went, it was very hot and VERY hilly! You have to be in pretty good shape to walk around there. I was glad we did the bus tour since we were short on time and wanted to see more. I was very surprised at how hilly it was. I couldn't imagine pushing a stoller or anything else around there.

My vote is for Sea World too. That is a real fun park and I'm excited to say I'll be going there August 19 for a company picnic! The tickets we got also allows us all-day admission into the park.

If you do choose the San Diego Zoo instead, there's always Balboa Park close by with its many museums, shows, the Merry-Go-Round, the Train, and so on.

I would do the San Diego Wild Animal Park instead of the Zoo and I would choose that over Sea World. It's different from a normal zoo experience and really really fun.

I just went to the zoo today! It was so so so fun. Although I think that Sea World would be a new and exciting experience...The San Diego Zoo is one of the best in the world.
Just something to consider. The walking is a bit much though. :rotfl:

I vote for Sea World. We just got back about 2 weeks ago and it was fantastic. Get there right when it opens if you can - we practically had the park to ourselves for the first hour and a half. Wear comfortable shoes! The water park area is nice for the kids. I was worried that our DD3, would get exhausted after a while, but she actually took a nap in the stroller - something she hasn't done in years. Try the path around the back left that overlooks the bay - not too many people go back there, and it is blissfully peaceful for a break.

I have to vote for SeaWorld...just was there a few weeks ago. That being said, I love the zoo as well. My vote is primarily because I'm a member of our local zoo so we go all the time. And to spend $35-40/person to go to the zoo when I can do it anytime for free is a little hard to swallow.

Ya that's probably the big thing, whether you have a zoo or an aquarium locally. We also have an outstanding Aquarium by us that is very into conservation and education. So when we went to Seaworld the cramped animal quarters and the showiness of it all REALLY turned us off to the point we were kinda anoyed while there. On the positive side it's not like you'll ever have to look hard for an animal at seaworld, they pack them in their enclosures so there are always plenty visable. The zoo on the other hand we LOVED because we don't have a zoo here that is decent. It was really exciting to go to a well run zoo and see all the animals. But if you have a zoo or an aquarium near you I'd do the other.

I'd vote for Sea World but I also love the zoo! But since you have a zoo near you that you go to all the time .... try the zoo. I also like Wild Animal Kingdom but everytime I've been there it has been VERY HOT!

Wild. Animal. Park.

Seriously. If your kids like zoos, they'll love the park and it's a unique experience. Animals mingling together in the open, not segregated in concrete enclosures.

Unfortunately, the tram ride's been temporarily shortened to about 3 miles but it's still worth it and there's a lot to see and do besides that particular ride. Lots of shows and exhibits. For extra $$$, you can do the cheetah run safari and/or photo caravan safari that gets you up close and personal with the animals. Not at all like your standard zoo.

Ugh, but wait till it gets much cooler out to go to the Wild Animal Park. It gets soooo hot there, I mean hotter than other parts of Escondido. They do a real nice event during the holidays called The Festival of Lights. Of course, by then, it's freezing cold so you can't win either way! Hehe. Okay, try for the autumn months. It's not so bad. :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter