San Fran hotels on budget with car HELP?

seobaina

DIS Veteran
Hi

We're going to be in San Fran for a day this sept, arriving late 29th (from LA direction), flying out of SFO on morning of 1st Oct. We want to spend the day doing a city tour & alcatraz.

I'm struggling to find hotels, however, that are on our budget. I've done well everywhere else and we are paying £50-60 ($80-100) per room per night at most. I understand the city is more expensive but I'm not worried about staying IN San Fran itself, just in the area. We can drive in if necessary as we will still have the car, although I don't really want to have to drive an hour or more due to flights/getting to tours. I can find hotels but they are either out of the budget or have horrible/dirty reviews.

Can anyone recommend any hotels? Preferably not more than £80/$120 a room a night. They'll be two of us (pref twin room but can share) and, as stated, we'll have the car.

Any help would be gratefully received. Thank you!!

You may have some luck outside the city. I've had luck on cheap booking sites, but usually still at least $150 a night. If you come in on the 29th and leave on the 1st, you'll have 2 full days, the 30th and the 31st, unless I'm missing something.

I've been looking at Oakland area and near SFO airport but they are still high or bbaaaaad reviews. I'm happy to cheap motel it but talk of roaches & blood puts me off :( sept only has 30 days so just have the 30th unfortunately. We'll have spent part of a day earlier in the hols there though. Thanks X

There are a couple of Motel 6 locations in Oakland. I know they don't have a great reputation as a chain, and Oakland has a reputation as unsafe, but that really doesn't apply to the Motel 6 locations in Oakland. They have one on the waterfront near the marina and other hotels/motels. The other one is near Oakland Airport.

You sort of know what you're getting - basic, clean accommodations that might be dated and sometimes questionable fellow clientele. Maybe four out of five times my experience at Motel 6 is uneventful, but occasionally you get one jerk who won't stop yelling in the parking lot.

If you're on a steep budget, lodging in the Bay Area is not cheap. You might be able to find something cheaper on Priceline, but the better options go into their inventory closer to the potential reservation date. I've actually stayed at a Hilton in the Bay Area (my wife insisted on it because I work in the Silicon Valley and she could take public transportation home) for less than $70.

There are a couple of Motel 6 locations in Oakland. I know they don't have a great reputation as a chain, and Oakland has a reputation as unsafe, but that really doesn't apply to the Motel 6 locations in Oakland. They have one on the waterfront near the marina and other hotels/motels. The other one is near Oakland Airport.

You sort of know what you're getting - basic, clean accommodations that might be dated and sometimes questionable fellow clientele. Maybe four out of five times my experience at Motel 6 is uneventful, but occasionally you get one jerk who won't stop yelling in the parking lot.

If you're on a steep budget, lodging in the Bay Area is not cheap. You might be able to find something cheaper on Priceline, but the better options go into their inventory closer to the potential reservation date. I've actually stayed at a Hilton in the Bay Area (my wife insisted on it because I work in the Silicon Valley and she could take public transportation home) for less than $70.

Wow, that is good. I've never heard of priceline. I'll check it out, thank you. And thanks for the info on the motel 6. I usually stay in super 8's, travelodges etc so I don't mind that. We were looking at the Good Nite Inn Redwood City but the reviews are really bad! :(

OK. I wasn't sure if a budget motel was out of the question. There have been many discussions of lodging on Disboards, and some people absolutely have to have a hotel with interior hallways.

I looked up the Motel 6 Oakland-Embarcadero for your time frame. It was $81.99/night for two (Motel 6 has a base rate for only one) plus taxes. Sometimes the hotels in Emeryville and Berkeley can be reasonable, but I was getting prices in the $170-$250 for a night.

Priceline has different methods, but the one with the best savings are their "opaque" bookings. They've got a newer system where they give you a price and reveal the hotel only once they have your money (like Hotwire), but the best savings are via a bidding process. I've gotten some really good deals as well as some ho hum deals where I got decent value but didn't particularly like the location.

We where in San Fran last August, my cousin did not have enough room to put us all up, so had to get somewhere. I asked her about a few i had seen, and she said to book cheap as you will only sleep in the room and be out early and back late.
She recommended Americas Best Value Golden gate, it was near Lombard and Broadway, and the location was extremely safe like she said, lots of eating places close by.
we usually stayed in Loews in Florida so when we got there it is definetly nothing like them LOL. but reviews where a bit hit and miss, so was a bit worried, but it was fine , rooms where clean, and the beds extremely comfortable and parking on first come, but always got parked, and there was a IHOP across from it which was good for breakfast, i got it for about $75 a night

Also try Hotwire.com for mystery hotels.

It gives vague locations of where the hotels are (you can also post questions regarding the offers on betterbidding.com).
You may have some luck there, I've used it six times now, home and overseas and I've not been let down yet.

I've stayed at the Marina Inn, Octavia and Chestnut. It wasn't too bad and got inconsistent ratings on Trip Advisor. But a friend of mine, who was living local, recommended it to me. I was glad I tried it. Old World charm, basic and adequate if you're looking for somewhere to stay. We used the MUNI to get in and out; worked out great for a visit to SF.

There is no parking; so if you have a car, and you want to stay here, ask them where to park.

seobaina said:
I've been looking at Oakland area and near SFO airport but they are still high or bbaaaaad reviews. I'm happy to cheap motel it but talk of roaches & blood puts me off :( sept only has 30 days so just have the 30th unfortunately. We'll have spent part of a day earlier in the hols there though. Thanks X

I was thinking end of October, although your post clearly says September, I guess I saw October and ran with it. Lol. Sorry about that.

I'm from SF and would tell people not to stay any of the places being discussed. The Lombard and Chestnut area you are discussing is known for party hotels. If its cheap, young people party there and drug parties are going on. I would not stay in a Motel 6 in Oakland ever again in my life. Stayed at that waterfront one years ago and watched a drug deal and prostitution offers in the parking lot while getting our bags out of the car, and wished I didn't have to stay there at all.

Try the Seal Rock Inn (lower Richmond) Parkview Inn (near the zoo, not the park, ironically) or the Days Inn on Sloat. I've stayed at all three. Also, as I said in my first post, try a booking site (Orbitz, Travelocity, etc) and you could find something nice downtown for cheap. Just remember to find out if there are parking fees. There are not parking fees at any of the three I suggested.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've been/am going through them all.

I was actually debating the El Camino Inn though because it has free parking and is right by a BART station, so we could get in to do the tours easily.

Any thoughts on this one? Reviews seem to be 'ok'.

Also, I found a fantastic deal for the first night we arrive (the night we fly in from the UK - 15th Sept) but I think I might cancel. That night is different cause we are only there to sleep and move on. We don't get in til 8:30pm and head north to the redwoods next morning. The Good Nite Inn Redwood City was only £34 on an offer for the night and reviews were 'ok' but they seem to have gone down hill since I booked.

Thanks for all the help guys, I really am researching everything you're suggesting and have bookmarked many sites.

I'm from SF and would tell people not to stay any of the places being discussed. The Lombard and Chestnut area you are discussing is known for party hotels. If its cheap, young people party there and drug parties are going on. I would not stay in a Motel 6 in Oakland ever again in my life. Stayed at that waterfront one years ago and watched a drug deal and prostitution offers in the parking lot while getting our bags out of the car, and wished I didn't have to stay there at all.

That's really always the risk of staying at anyplace that's relatively inexpensive and that doesn't typically hire security. The OP mentioned being alright with Super 8 and Travelodge, and many locations in those chains are known for drug dealing, prostitution, and bad behavior by guests. As long as one goes into the situation without being naive about it, that's just one of those things in life where one trades lower price for less desirability. It's not that I'm OK with it (save not being able to sleep when some trailer trash idiots decide to have an argument in the parking lot) but I have a high tolerance for ignoring activity that doesn't directly affect me.

Here's an interesting page on the problems with budget motels in general and how that affects policing.

http://www.popcenter.org/problems/budget_motels/

The very nature of overnight lodging makes it conducive to crime and disorder. Motels and hotels house people only temporarily, often in commercial areas with high crime rates. Because budget motels offer low rates, accept cash, and often have a relatively unrestricted environment, local residents with illicit or antisocial intentions find them particularly attractive. Drug sales, prostitution, loud parties, and other activities can often be undertaken at motels with less risk than at private residences. Motel guests have little motivation to report drug dealing and prostitution because they have no long-term stake in the motel. In addition, motel managers often have a limited opportunity to get to know the backgrounds of the people on their premises. Finally, in municipalities that lack the resources to provide motel oversight, motel managers have little incentive to accept responsibility for problems.

Motels attract crime, in that people inclined to commit it are drawn to them because their conditions and reputations are favorable for doing so. Poorly managed motels also enable crime by attracting offenders to a location with weak oversight.

And here's something interesting:

In Anaheim, California, where the typical apartment costs $1,200 a month, an estimated 2,000 of the city’s 310,000 residents lived in motels full time before the city enacted long-term rental restrictions on the properties (Hill and Associated Press 2000)

I do remember staying at a Motel 6 once in Salinas, California. We were on the way to Monterey and we figured it would be easier to break it up as an overnight rather than driving directly. The motel was fully booked via reservations and hired security. It was mostly one guard who was checking reservations so that people didn't randomly park in the lot, but the presence of that guard also made any kind of illicit activity difficult. The other key is that often the problems with illicit activity are from walk-up customers who pay cash.

Wow, that's interesting...and slightly worrying lol.

To be honest I know motels aren't going to be the best. I've been staying in them for years...some worse than others, particularly when we did a 'just drive and stop wherever' tour. We're only there to sleep though, so I don't see the point of paying lots for a posh hotel, especially when I don't have the money to do so.

As long as the reviews don't say 'bugs' or 'felt unsafe' I normally give them a chance. I know some people will always be critical of motels in reviews and I do sometimes wonder what they expect. If the reviews are mixed but mostly on the positive if basic slant then I'm fine. However, the reviews on the one we booked for the first night ALL now talk about filthy carpets and that concerns me.

Does anyone have any thoughts/feedback on either 'Good Nite Inn, Redwood' or ' El Camino Inn'?

I can't find a website for the Parkview Inn??

Thank you

Wow, that's interesting...and slightly worrying lol.

To be honest I know motels aren't going to be the best. I've been staying in them for years...some worse than others, particularly when we did a 'just drive and stop wherever' tour. We're only there to sleep though, so I don't see the point of paying lots for a posh hotel, especially when I don't have the money to do so.

As long as the reviews don't say 'bugs' or 'felt unsafe' I normally give them a chance. I know some people will always be critical of motels in reviews and I do sometimes wonder what they expect. If the reviews are mixed but mostly on the positive if basic slant then I'm fine. However, the reviews on the one we booked for the first night ALL now talk about filthy carpets and that concerns me.

Does anyone have any thoughts/feedback on either 'Good Nite Inn, Redwood' or ' El Camino Inn'?

I can't find a website for the Parkview Inn??

Thank you

Do you mean Redwood City? That's about a good 25 miles away from San Francisco. I would have suggested maybe a place in Emeryville, Berkeley, or Oakland, but either the prices would be well out of you range or you'll just have to give up something.

Do you mean Redwood City? That's about a good 25 miles away from San Francisco. I would have suggested maybe a place in Emeryville, Berkeley, or Oakland, but either the prices would be well out of you range or you'll just have to give up something.

I meant Redwood City but NOT for the touring San Fran day. We fly into San Fran from the UK on 15th Sept and on the morning of 16th we're going north to the redwoods themselves then on to Grants Pass so we're not staying in San Fran at all (hence we looked at a hotel in Redwood City/SFO area for that night). I found the Good Nite Inn at a bargin but the reviews have dropped :(

Then we come back through San Fran on 20th, spending the daytime on the 21st in the city but heading to Salinas that night. The night of 20th we're actually have a hotel booked in Oakland as we'll have driven down the I5 or from Sacramento.

Finally we come back to San Fran from LA on 29th and plan to spend the 30th in San Fran doing tours/alcatraz before flying out of SFO on 1st October. I just figured if we were flying from SFO and spending time in SF it was better to be on that side of the water rather than go back to Oakland again. That's why I was looking at El Camino Hotel and SFO area more.

Make sense? Sorry if I didn't explain it clearly before.

I would suggest: The Americania, The Carriage Inn and the Good Hotel - all located in the SOMA district on 7th Ave.

These three hotels are all on the same block.

Pros: Cheapest rooms I've found in the City.
Parking reasonable.
Walking distance to SFMOMA, Yerba Buena Gardens, Folk Museum and The Jewish Museum.
Close to metro
Big shopping mall withing walking distance. I don't recall it's name but my sister loves it...
One of the best restaurants in the City, A.Q. is 20 yards away on the corner.
Blue Bottle Coffee within walking distance.
Easy freeway entrance.

Cons: It's SOMA, it's San Francisco. You will smell marijuana on the streets and a transvestite will try to buy you a drink. A block over there are a series of adult bookstores. It's a city.

Actually, for some, this might be in the pro column...

Some might find it "gritty."

Rooms at the Americania have no AC.
Rooms at the Good Hotel facing the street on the lower levels are noisy.
Rooms at the Carriage Inn can be considered "dark"

We've stayed at all three numerous times and would do so again.

You might also want to look at VRBO - vacation rental by owner - and rent a condo. We stayed in Cole Valley last month for a "granny flat" basement condo with access to a backyard (with kid toys) and loved it. Came out to about $120 per night. We saved some money by hitting up some of the neighborhood markets and cooked a few nights in the fully equipped kitchen.

Safe travels!

I would suggest: The Americania, The Carriage Inn and the Good Hotel - all located in the SOMA district on 7th Ave.

These three hotels are all on the same block.

Pros: Cheapest rooms I've found in the City.
Parking reasonable.
Walking distance to SFMOMA, Yerba Buena Gardens, Folk Museum and The Jewish Museum.
Close to metro
Big shopping mall withing walking distance. I don't recall it's name but my sister loves it...
One of the best restaurants in the City, A.Q. is 20 yards away on the corner.
Blue Bottle Coffee within walking distance.
Easy freeway entrance.

Cons: It's SOMA, it's San Francisco. You will smell marijuana on the streets and a transvestite will try to buy you a drink. A block over there are a series of adult bookstores. It's a city.

Actually, for some, this might be in the pro column...

Some might find it "gritty."

Rooms at the Americania have no AC.
Rooms at the Good Hotel facing the street on the lower levels are noisy.
Rooms at the Orchard can be considered "dark"

We've stayed at all three numerous times and would do so again.

You might also want to look at VRBO - vacation rental by owner - and rent a condo. We stayed in Cole Valley last month for a "granny flat" basement condo with access to a backyard (with kid toys) and loved it. Came out to about $120 per night. We saved some money by hitting up some of the neighborhood markets and cooked a few nights in the fully equipped kitchen.

Safe travels!

Thank you very much, I'll check it out. And lol yep, not too bothered by those cons. One of my friends is a drag queen and another used to work in an 'adult' store so that doesn't bother me unless the area feels unsafe. And as long as they don't want me to smoke marijuana then they can do what they want :D Thank you for the suggestions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter