SAN FRANCISCO First Time Trip

How long would you allow for Alcatraz, including the boat ride? Would a morning trip be best or is that the most crowded time?
We took an 11 a.m boat over so we had to check in a bit after 10 if I remember correctly, we came back from the island about 3ish. Once on the island you may stay as long as you like so the earlier you get there the less crowded it will be. The crowds will pick up as the day goes on.

We learned about In N Out on our last trip and loved it. We learned how to order off the menu. We are looking forward to In N Out on this trip almost as much as Disneyland! Wish they had them on the East Coast.
:thumbsup2 Fries, animal style with extra spread....ohhhh yum!

The night trip to Alcatraz is a much better way to go than the daytime trips. As it gets darker, the place gets spookier and the city views are great. Get tickets well in advance on-line.

Parking a car in town is expensive, so you might want to wait until your last day to pick up one. Then do the city drive on your way out of town and don't plan on going too far from the city that day. I know the "drive" has a name - the number of miles - but for the life of me, I can't remember it. There are good maps for this drive and there are also signs along the route.

A bike ride across the Golden Gate to Sasaulito (for lunch) with a return by ferry is a real treat and not too difficult. A couple of places rent bikes, sell ferry tickets and have route maps - I used "Blazing Saddles" a couple years ago.

Parking a car in town is expensive, so you might want to wait until your last day to pick up one. Then do the city drive on your way out of town and don't plan on going too far from the city that day. I know the "drive" has a name - the number of miles - but for the life of me, I can't remember it. There are good maps for this drive and there are also signs along the route.

49 Mile Scenic Drive

Most of the route is best enjoyed in the day time. But if possible, try going over Twin Peaks at night. The nighttime views from the top are amazing!

HTH,
Bob

The night trip to Alcatraz is a much better way to go than the daytime trips. As it gets darker, the place gets spookier and the city views are great. Get tickets well in advance on-line.
I've done both - I agree the night tour has its own mystery and some of the creepy factor BUT you do miss a lot of the little details IMO because it is dark. Either way, the tour is fascinating and IMO not to be missed. The night tour sells out very quickly, if that is your choice, get your ressies ASAP

Highly recommend a Segway Tour :thumbsup2 We did it when my son was 14 (minimum age allowed there) and had a blast - probably the highlight of the trip! Wish we'd had time to do the advanced tour, that one takes you down Lombard Street :scared1:. There are a couple companies that do these, and they originate in the Fisherman's Wharf area. Think we used the Electric Tour Company or something like that.

We stayed in the Fisherman's Wharf area, knowing full well we were in the thick of the tourist area. But it was a good location for us, easy to get public transportation (didn't rent a car until the end when we went north for a few days to Muir Woods and Sonoma), lots of food options, and generally things going on well into the evening. But it is touristy and that may not be the atmosphere you're after. We good a good deal at a Marriott that had just been renovated, right behind In and Out Burger and thought it was a good location.

CityPass was a good deal as we had already planned on going to most of the places included. It was also nice to have unlimited bus/trolley transportation and the requisite cable car ride was included. Lines for the cable cars were LONG, if possible I'd do that first thing in the morning and not on a weekend.

Something I haven't seen mentioned is the Saturday a.m. Farmer's Market at the Ferry Building. Oh my - if only I could shop there every week :cloud9: The variety and quality was amazing, from vegetables, to cheese, meat, baked goods, the list goes on..... And the Ferry Building is worth seeing by itself, great architecture.

Alcatraz is a must see, make sure you have warm clothes with you. Very chilly out on the water. In fact, we found SF generally cool when we were there, not a lot of opportunity for shorts in the summer for us.

I would love to get suggestions for our first time trip to SF. A family of 4, DH, DS (19), DS (16) for a June trip (10 days). Would like to see Yosemite also. We did southern Calif & Disneyland 2 years ago, so we won't be heading south this time.

Would love suggestions for dining (especially brew pubs for DH as well).

What are your best experiences with:

Rental cars
Restaurants
Hotels
Disney Museum
All other "tourist" attractions worth seeing

Not sure how much we can fit in 8 days (2 days I put aside for flying in/home).

My DD(14) loves the Disney Museum, the Musee Mechanique, San Francisco Ride the Ducks, the Rainforest Cafe, the Aquarium of the Bay ,and the Wipeout Bar and Grill (family-friendly). She also likes the Turbo Ride on Pier 39.

Print this out for every member of your family, and it will probably save you quite a bit: http://www.mapwest.com/coupon/coup_70.html

We went on the evening cruise 5.55pm I think it was, It was great as when we first arrived it was still day light so we got to see all the sights in the day light as well as at night. The tours are very interesting & well worth a visit.
Some of my favourite photos from our 3 week trip to Cali are of S/F. It is now my favourite city I have ever visited. Have an amazing time.
I'l add some photos if I get chance.

I concur with the previous posters that you absolutely do not want to have a car in SF. You don't want to drive in that town, and it will cost you 40 bucks plus per night to park it at your hotel.

We like the Sheraton at Fisherman's Wharf. It is reasonably priced and close to a lot of public transportation and sight seeing options. It has a little outdoor pool, too, although it is usually too cold to swim.

I agree on the City Pass for a first trip. . .It takes you to most of the major sites for a great discount.

I concur with the previous posters that you absolutely do not want to have a car in SF. You don't want to drive in that town, and it will cost you 40 bucks plus per night to park it at your hotel.

We like the Sheraton at Fisherman's Wharf. It is reasonably priced and close to a lot of public transportation and sight seeing options. It has a little outdoor pool, too, although it is usually too cold to swim.

I agree on the City Pass for a first trip. . .It takes you to most of the major sites for a great discount.

I have to agree--the Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf is a lovely hotel, and a fantastic location

WRT Alcatraz, plan in advance, as tickets go fast (many are sold to tour groups in advance). Don't exect to get a ticket day-of, especially on a weekend.

If your baseball fans try to see a SF Giants game at AT&T park. It is a gorgeous park every seat is great!! I love it there. Be sure to try the garlic fries if you go they are amazing. Also I would recommend not staying in the fishermans wharf area it is too touristy. For shopping for your wife either Union Square or Union street. Have a great time.

We like the Sheraton at Fisherman's Wharf. It is reasonably priced and close to a lot of public transportation and sight seeing options.

I have to agree--the Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf is a lovely hotel, and a fantastic location
The Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf has a great location, and is close to Ghirardeli Square. Save room for ice cream

Woody

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter