San Jose Area Hotel/Town Advice

Stacy's a freak

wrangles snakes
Hi All!

The 2nd part of our honeymoon will be in the San Jose/San Francisco Area. We want to visit Apple HQ in Cupertino (only the store but still ...), The Winchester Mystery House in San Jose and maybe San Francisco for a day (we can travel in by public transport). We will have a car. In which town should we stay?

I have researched towns from San Jose to San Francisco but am unsure which towns are nice, which are just Silicon Valley corporate-type hotels, etc. Can anyone give me some advice and/or sugsestions? We will be staying 4 nights (Saturday through Tuesday nights).

Thanks!

I like the hotels around Santa Clara along Great America Parkway. There's the Hyatt Regency, Hilton, and Marriott. The previous two have free parking. The Marriott includes parking for hotel guests, but everyone else has to either get a ticket validated or pay an hourly rate. All the downtown hotels in San Jose charge extra for parking. I've stayed at the Hilton when I wanted to stay overnight to get to work, and I've been to the Hyatt several times - it's next to the Santa Clara Convention Center.

http://www.santaclara.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html
http://www.hilton.com/search/hi/us/ca/santa_clara
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/sjcga-santa-clara-marriott/

These have easy access to CA-237 and US-101. However, their prices are set for business travelers. They're high Sun-Thu, but drop like a rock for weekends.

bcla, Thanks for the suggestions. Those look like great hotels but you're right - a bit pricey during the week. I wonder if we should look at a town that doesn't cater to the business traveler? Does anyone have suggestions for another town - maybe a town to the West of the bay(?) like Fremont or Hayward? It would be great if we could find room rates for less than $180 a night in a place that is not sketchy (seems unlikely).

Thanks again!

For a honeymoon trip and if you were prepared to drive, I would recommend Los Gatos or even Half Moon Bay. I think that there are some non-cookie cutter places to stay in HMB. Both locations are lovely and you don't feel like you're in a corporate town. Might be worth looking at the B&B options at HMB.

And if you were still looking at the towns along the Silicon Valley belt, I would be tempted to suggest San Carlos. Not sure what accommodation options there are there; but you'd be close enough to a CalTrain station and there are loads of food options on Laurel Street.
The other option might be Hillsdale if you wanted to be closer to Hillsdale Mall.

ps. Congratulations! And I hope you have a great wedding and honeymoon.

I second Los Gatos. It's quite charming. HMB during the week is a bit if a drive with traffic, but it is definitely a lovely spot. Saratoga is a nice spot in the San Jose area. On the Penninsula, I would check out Palo Alto near to Stanford. The college campus area is really pretty.

If you want to relocate for your SF day, Saulsalito is so quaint and nice and just a ferry ride from the city.

Fremont itself isn't sketchy, but the bargain motels there can be depending on the specific clientele there at any given time. Again, the Hilton in Fremont is fine. I used to work in Fremont and we had visitors stay there. Other hotels in Fremont are fine. I remember a shooting at the EZ 8 Motel in Fremont.

You might also look up options in Milpitas.

If you're OK with Motel 6, I found the location near the airport to be fine. The one I stayed at had the new retro mid century modern look. It's right of US-101 so it might help to request a room away from the freeway. I stayed there once after attending a concert in Mountain View. Nothing fancy, but it was clean and I didn't feel like I was surrounded by pimps, prostitutes, johns, and drug dealers like some Motel 6 locations. If you're looking for a proper hotel, the Doubletree or San Jose Airport Garden Hotel are fine. I stayed at the latter before a job interview.

Look at the Campbell Inn and the Pruneyard Inn in the city of Campbell. It's very close to the Winchester Mystery House and has easy freeway access. Both hotels are very close to each other and owned by the same company. There's an outdoor mall called The Pruneyard with lots of shops and restaurants. Downtown Campbell is within walking distance and a nice place to browse. It's a nice area, not sketchy at all. I grew up a few miles from there.

Fremont itself isn't sketchy, but the bargain motels there can be depending on the specific clientele there at any given time. Again, the Hilton in Fremont is fine. I used to work in Fremont and we had visitors stay there. Other hotels in Fremont are fine. I remember a shooting at the EZ 8 Motel in Fremont. You might also look up options in Milpitas. If you're OK with Motel 6, I found the location near the airport to be fine. The one I stayed at had the new retro mid century modern look. It's right of US-101 so it might help to request a room away from the freeway. I stayed there once after attending a concert in Mountain View. Nothing fancy, but it was clean and I didn't feel like I was surrounded by pimps, prostitutes, johns, and drug dealers like some Motel 6 locations. If you're looking for a proper hotel, the Doubletree or San Jose Airport Garden Hotel are fine. I stayed at the latter before a job interview.
I live in Fremont. :) It's not sketchy in the least. ;) Actually, we are one of the safest areas not just in the Bay, but in the US. According to Business Insider, we were rated #2 of the 20 Safest Places to Live in America. I've lived here going on 7 years, and it has definitely grown on me in part because it's safe.

That all being said, it's nothing fancy here. It's not a city I could recommend for sightseeing purposes. There are much quainter and more interesting cities in the area. Being a larger area, we have a homeless population that I suppose can be off putting to some. Based on pure statistics though, not much crime actually happens here and it is very safe, if a little less attractive than nicer areas like Los Gatos and Woodside.

I live in Fremont. :) It's not sketchy in the least. ;) Actually, we are one of the safest areas not just in the Bay, but in the US. According to Business Insider, we were rated #2 of the 20 Safest Places to Live in America. I've lived here going on 7 years, and it has definitely grown on me in part because it's safe.

That all being said, it's nothing fancy here. It's not a city I could recommend for sightseeing purposes. There are much quainter and more interesting cities in the area. Being a larger area, we have a homeless population that I suppose can be off putting to some. Based on pure statistics though, not much crime actually happens here and it is very safe, if a little less attractive than nicer areas like Los Gatos and Woodside.

I guess the worst thing that I could say about the Fremont/Newark area is that it's boring. And I say that as someone who lives in a boring area and used to work at a place in Fremont. Although it's not bad if you're looking for Indian, Indo-Pak, or Afghan cuisine. It's along my daily commute. The only issue is that it's grown, and traffic is just getting worse and worse. It used to be the area where Silicon Valley workers could find a decent home for a little bit less (depending on the neighborhood) in a relatively safe area and still have a reasonable commute. However, I-880 hasn't gotten any wider even though the number of people have gone up.

We live in Los Gatos and it's a charming place to stay. Lots of small shops, great restaurants (some Michilin Star ones), wineries, spas, etc. if you have a lot to spend, check out Hotel Lis Gatos. On a budget, the Garden Inn and Suites usually has rooms at $100/night and it's right in town.

If you're only going to spend one day around the South Bay, then maybe stay a little further north - like San Bruno/Millbrae/Burlingame around San Francisco Airport. That gets you closer to San Francisco and you'll have decent hotel options that don't cost too much.

I work around San Jose, and it's not really all that touristy except for maybe the Winchester Mystery House. I've bought stuff at Apple HQ and it's not going to take more than a half hour. Is there really anything else you want to visit in and around San Jose. I work here and have explored the area. If I were going to recommend a place to visit, it would be San Francisco.

I work around San Jose, and it's not really all that touristy except for maybe the Winchester Mystery House. I've bought stuff at Apple HQ and it's not going to take more than a half hour. Is there really anything else you want to visit in and around San Jose. I work here and have explored the area. If I were going to recommend a place to visit, it would be San Francisco.

This is exactly the info I was hoping for - more info about that specific area. Apple HQ and the Winchester house are main "must do"s for us in this area but it's helpful to know that staying in San Jose isn't all that exciting.

Thanks!

This is exactly the info I was hoping for - more info about that specific area. Apple HQ and the Winchester house are main "must do"s for us in this area but it's helpful to know that staying in San Jose isn't all that exciting.

Thanks!

You could certainly find things to do around San Jose if you happened to be here. However, most of what's here tends to be "locals attractions". Around here many would think of Santa Cruz or Monterey.

Closer to San Francisco, there's all sorts of well-known attractions, Marin County, and the Wine Country.

I spend a lot of time in Silicon Valley. It's a center of industry, but it's generally kind of a boring area with lots of spread out residential and office space. You want to have fun in Northern California? Go to Monterey. Take the 17 Mile Drive at Pebble Beach. Visit the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Go shopping in Carmel. Looking to Silicon Valley for tourist spots is a lot like being a tourist in New Jersey.

This is exactly the info I was hoping for - more info about that specific area. Apple HQ and the Winchester house are main "must do"s for us in this area but it's helpful to know that staying in San Jose isn't all that exciting. Thanks!

Are you going to have a rental car? You could just drive down from the San Francisco, which is what I would do, although honestly, neither of those places are high in my lost of must do's. Apple HQ especially isn't really anything special. But then, I drive past Facebook headquarters on my way to work each day and have never once stopped (and likely never will, unless it's for a job interview ;)), but I see tourists taking pics in front of the sign 4 days out of 5. So, everyone is interested in different things. :)

Are you going to have a rental car? You could just drive down from the San Francisco, which is what I would do, although honestly, neither of those places are high in my lost of must do's. Apple HQ especially isn't really anything special. But then, I drive past Facebook headquarters on my way to work each day and have never once stopped (and likely never will, unless it's for a job interview ;)), but I see tourists taking pics in front of the sign 4 days out of 5. So, everyone is interested in different things. :)
Yes, we'll have a car. The San Jose part of our trip is after 4 days in Anaheim. My fiance is as crazy for Apple as I am for Disney so this was our compromise - a few days in Anaheim, a two day drive up the coast, and a few days in San Fran/San Jose. This way I get to see the house that Walt built and he gets to see Steve Jobs' house and HQ.

FYI - you can often see Steve Wozniak tooling around Los Gatos on his Segway.

As someone who lives in the Hayward/Fremont area, don't stay here. Not because it's sketchy or any of that, it just isn't very interesting. The only bonus would be if you were staying somewhere along the BART line and planning on taking that into SF.

As for the San Jose area... generally we leave the area for entertainment. If you have a day to do Monterey, I would highly recommend that. Santa Cruz is even closer, and has a lot of fun things to do and see. San Jose itself does not have a lot going on- it is mainly a lot of corporations surrounded by suburbs. However, if you are going to be in the area, Santana Row is known for it's shopping and restaurants (though both are pricey) and has a fun vibe. It is right next to the Winchester Mystery House. There is also a theater there and a large mall. There is also the Tech Museum in SJ. I haven't personally been, but I know they get some interesting exhibits. They also have an after hours thing on the first Thursday of each month, depending on where you are visiting. My suggestion would be to do one day in SJ, and another in Monterey.

SF has millions and millions of things to do. Since you are a Disney fan, you can always check out the Walt Disney Family Museum, which is fantastic. It is also in the Presidio, which is beautiful.

One of the most important things about visiting the Bay Area is to understand that we have TRAFFIC. the kind that makes you want to rip your hair out. But, most of it is limited to rush hour traffic (generally 7-930am and 345-645 pm) In the morning, avoid driving north on 101 or south on 880. In the evening, avoid 101 south, 237 West, 880 north.

FYI - you can often see Steve Wozniak tooling around Los Gatos on his Segway.

Yes, that's true! (I live in Los Gatos as well.)

It's a nice romantic get-away. However, if budget is your 1st priority, try Campbell, Half-Moon-Bay & San Jose near the airport just like the previous posters mentioned.

Palo Alto is fun. However, it can be pricey.

I have been looking into Half Moon Bay and think it might be a good home base for us. This is vacation and we are not very early morning people so I can imagine that we might miss the traffic - at least in the morning.

Now to find a hotel in HMB for a reasonable price ...

I have been looking into Half Moon Bay and think it might be a good home base for us. This is vacation and we are not very early morning people so I can imagine that we might miss the traffic - at least in the morning.

Now to find a hotel in HMB for a reasonable price ...

Half Moon Bay is certainly very nice. However, traffic can be an issue. I remember going down CA-1 on a weekend, and it took 20 minutes to get through HMB because of the light at the intersection with CA-92. It's certainly a beautiful spot, and one of the great surfing locations in California.

Is the Ritz-Carlton in your budget? ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter