San Juan to Fort Lauderdale Passport Required? Disney Website Says No

shawy1269

Mouseketeer
DVC Silver
Everyone I have asked tells me passport is required for this opened-loop cruise in Nov. The DCL website says different. Is there some exception that makes this cruise different? I’ve applied for my families’ first passports but with the processing delays, it would be nice to have the peace of mind that we could fall back on birth certificates and Drivers licenses. I’ve expected the passports with rush shipping both ways. The current estimate is 7-9 weeks. Here is what DCL website reads:

Attachments

• 956C7234-416A-459C-8B70-665637D69DA4.jpeg
    956C7234-416A-459C-8B70-665637D69DA4.jpeg
    49.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 2951D4E5-0C6D-41A1-AFAE-DDB597E902CB.jpeg
    2951D4E5-0C6D-41A1-AFAE-DDB597E902CB.jpeg
    50.4 KB · Views: 19
Puerto Rico is a US territory so US Citizens do not require a passport.
I don’t think it’s the matter of PR being a US territory as it is about the cruise being opened-loop. My understanding is that any cruise that begins in one port and ends in another requires a passport, even if it’s from one US city to another, if there are any intl stops in between.

I don’t think it’s the matter of PR being a US territory as it is about the cruise being opened-loop. My understanding is that any cruise that begins in one port and ends in another requires a passport, even if it’s from one US city to another, if there are any intl stops in between.
I believe you are correct from all the information I have read when researching this because we just use BC/DL to cruise so we couldn’t do this one.

Disney's information is probably correct. However, if you're concerned, then contact them and ask for clarification.

What is the foreign port? As other's have stated, San Juan is the U.S. and is Fort Laundersale, but to be a legal cruise there has to be a foreign port. Is Castaway Cay the only foreign port?
So with the scheduled ports, a Passport would not be NEEDED.......HOWEVER....things can happen and if you had to fly from a foreign port due to an emergency, you need a Passport.
Long answer, but the reality is, you should never cruise without a Passport.

I thought there was an accepting for PR, but maybe I'm confused with something else.

I did a cruise in April on NCL from San Juan to New York City. It was my understanding that a passport was required but many people on my cruise's Facebook group said that NCL told them they didn't need it. I think they were fine.

What is the foreign port? As other's have stated, San Juan is the U.S. and is Fort Laundersale, but to be a legal cruise there has to be a foreign port. Is Castaway Cay the only foreign port?
So with the scheduled ports, a Passport would not be NEEDED.......HOWEVER....things can happen and if you had to fly from a foreign port due to an emergency, you need a Passport.
Long answer, but the reality is, you should never cruise without a Passport.
Castaway Cay is the only port.im still getting the passport but it sounds like the BC/DL might be a viable backup.

am confused, You don't need a passport to fly from puerto rico to the states so why would you need one to sailit's the other ports of call.

Although, I'm not sure the passport requirement is a PVSA thing.
US port back to US port that is why it would apply.
EDIT: Shouldn't have said closed loop, just US port to US port without the need to stop at a foreign port.

Last edited:
US port back to US port that is why it would apply.
EDIT: Shouldn't have said closed loop, just US port to US port without the need to stop at a foreign port.
But, I think, the PVSA isn't really regulating passport requirements, only whether a foreign flagged ship can travel between DIFFERENT U.S. ports without a DISTANT foreign port stop.

I'd follow CBP guidance until I received something official that said otherwise: https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-74?language=en_US

It specifically says:

"However, if you board a cruise ship in San Diego, California, sail through the Panama Canal (stopping at a foreign port during the cruise), and end the cruise in Miami, Florida, you have not taken a closed loop cruise. The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) requires you to travel with a valid passport (including infants)."

I'd follow CBP guidance until I received something official that said otherwise: https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-74?language=en_US

It specifically says:

"However, if you board a cruise ship in San Diego, California, sail through the Panama Canal (stopping at a foreign port during the cruise), and end the cruise in Miami, Florida, you have not taken a closed loop cruise. The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) requires you to travel with a valid passport (including infants)."

I thought that was the case for my cruise in April, but it was NOT.

We left SJU, visited 5 different ports, and arrived in NYC. Some passengers did not have passports. They were perfectly fine with a driver's license and a birth certificate.

I personally would never cruise without a passport but some folks do.

It specifically says:

A Panama Canal cruise is not the same. On that cruise you're visiting what's called "distant" foreign ports, many of which require passports to visit.

Puerto Rico is a US territory, if you're a US citizen you don't need a passport to cruise to/from there to the mainland.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter