Sanaa for lunch from AK?

YYCmom

Mouseketeer
Hi, I'm considering going to Sanaa for lunch on our AK day. How long will bus transportation take from AK to AKL? How long of a break would I need to take for this to work out? Is this a crazy idea?

Hi, I'm considering going to Sanaa for lunch on our AK day. How long will bus transportation take from AK to AKL? How long of a break would I need to take for this to work out? Is this a crazy idea?

The actual bus ride from AK to AKL is less than 10 minutes. The bus will stop first at Kidana Village, where Sanaa is. When returning to Animal Kingdom, it will stop at Jambo House, which adds about 5 minutes.The buses only run every 20 minutes, though, so you need to allow for wait time.

The best-case scenario is the buses are there when you arrive at the bus stops and you spend about 25 minutes on the bus (not counting time walking to the bus stops and time re-entering the park). Worst-case could be up to 75 minutes in transit, if you just miss the buses and there are many people getting on and off each trip.

That said, it can get hot and sticky in the middle of the day at Animal Kingdom, so taking a break could be helpful. I like Sanaa better than most of the restaurants in the park, and it should be much less crowded. If you can spare more time, you can go to a viewing area and get a good view of many animals eating their lunch or resting.

Not crazy...but personally, instead of taking a big chunk out of the middle of AK day, I would do it for dinner since AK closes so early - just finish your AK day and head to AKL for dinner.

Assuming you get a table which allows you to see out the window, isn't the animal viewing better during the day than in the dark?

Not crazy...but personally, instead of taking a big chunk out of the middle of AK day, I would do it for dinner since AK closes so early - just finish your AK day and head to AKL for dinner.
Agree. There are many very good CS places to eat at AK that I would stay in the park for lunch. Then go to AKL for dinner. Even though the bus ride is under 10 minutes, exiting the park, waiting for the bus and coming back and re entering the park will easily take at least 60 minutes plus dining time.

We prefer lunch at Sanaa because it's oh so sweet to get to see the animals on the savanna during the daytime while eating, especially if you're lucky enough to get a window table. Sure worth considering if that's something you think is worth planning around, like we do.
Have a magical trip, YYCmom :goodvibes

Assuming you get a table which allows you to see out the window, isn't the animal viewing better during the day than in the dark?
No doubt, but if you are going for the food experience, then not such a big deal. On our last trip, we did Sanaa for lunch on our rest day. I just wouldn't waste limited park time to leave for lunch. Besides, the same animals and then some can be viewed right in AK via multiple experiences.

I'm new to all this, but it seems like ride wait times are longer at lunch than at dinner. I'm willing to plan for a 2 hour or so lunch including transportation times. Plus, my family are not animal superfans. We'll do some of the animal trails and we will do the safari, but we probably won't do every animal experience in the park. Also, EE will be out of commission, so that's one less ride.

Also, as a newbie, it seems easier to me to deal with transportation in the middle of the day than figuring out how to get from AKL back to Crescent Lake after dinner, which seems more complicated? Is it easy?

I'm guessing that in March, AK will be open at least until 8pm, so I'm not too concerned about park closing time.

We prefer lunch at Sanaa because it's oh so sweet to get to see the animals on the savanna during the daytime while eating, especially if you're lucky enough to get a window table. Sure worth considering if that's something you think is worth planning around, like we do.
Have a magical trip, YYCmom :goodvibes
True, you do not really get to see the animals at dinner. However, you can get a drink from the bar and go outside, enjoy the firepit and watch the animals.

Also, as a newbie, it seems easier to me to deal with transportation in the middle of the day than figuring out how to get from AKL back to Crescent Lake after dinner, which seems more complicated? Is it easy?
You're right - you'll have more options to get back from AKL in the daytime. After dinner, assuming all the parks are closed, you'd have to take a bus from AKL to DS and then transfer to a bus to your resort. If DHS is open, you could bus from AKL to DHS and then take Skyliner/boat/walk to Crescent Lake. So I think lunch at Sanaa is a fine plan.

True, you do not really get to see the animals at dinner. However, you can get a drink from the bar and go outside, enjoy the firepit and watch the animals.
After dark? We sure couldn't see any from the firepit or from our savanna view balcony, either. Maybe depends on on time of year and what time you eat dinner.
:goodvibes

I would definitely do lunch. You get a midday break with some AC, avoid the long midday lines and then go back and enjoy the very short wait times the last 1-2 hours at the park.

In theory it doesn't sound like a big deal to leave for lunch but IMO it's a hassle to stop mid-day (esp if you're at the back of the park), walk to the bus stop and wait (we waited 30 minutes for an AKL bus mid-day this summer...), eat, and then do the reverse. But I think AK has wonderful in park food options and prefer the convenience of staying put.

But we travel with a stroller and bag so it is an extra hassle for us right now.

The animal viewing is hit and miss at the restaurant, and very few tables see it. Anyone can wander out to the animal viewing areas and the view is much better, esp at Jambo. If you want to make it a field trip, I'd take the time to go to Jambo as well to see the animals there (and it's such a gorgeous hotel - Kidani is not overly impressive in comparison).

After dark? We sure couldn't see any from the firepit or from our savanna view balcony, either. Maybe depends on on time of year and what time you eat dinner.
:goodvibes
The last time we were there, they had night vision goggles to use. Really sweet!
But, with a good drink and sitting by the fire, do you really need animals?

This could be a crazy idea depending on how you value your time. If you haven't visited the parks several times- and want to maximize your time experiencing attractions- I would not leave the park. It sounds like it's close and will be a fast turnaround- but the reality will be very different. By the time you exit the park (which is a hike in and of itself), wait for the bus, order, eat, wait for a bus to return, and walk back into the area of the park where you can begin to experience attractions again you are looking at well over 2 hours- probably closer to 3. We love AK and AKL, AKL is pretty much the only place we stay these days. With that said, you can see the animals on the safari attraction. Have lunch in the park at Yak and Yeti if you want to do TS- but I would pick a counter service like Flame Tree Barbeque if you haven't been to WDW a lot. AK is a short day- and if you want to see and do everything sitting down for a TS lunch is going to take a minimum of an hour- and most probably much more than that if you need to wait for a table. Once you have lunch at a counter service restaurant, queue up to do the safari a second time. I can guarantee you will see many more animals doing it this way and still come out way ahead on time. On the flip side of the coin, if you have been there many times and don't value maximizing attractions, Sanaa is a great restaurant. I would personally do CS for lunch and book Boma for dinner. Sanaa is good- but Boma is far-and-away the best restaurant within the AKL complex if for no other reason than the sheer number of choices you have on the buffet. We have eaten everywhere there is to eat there multiple times, done all the special safaris with dinner included, etc., etc., etc. Boma for dinner is your best bet IMHO if you want to experience AKL while you are in the AK area and haven't eaten there before. Depends on your priorities.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter