• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sandals for wide-ish feet and achilles issue - suggestions?

My favorite, most comfortable sandals are Dawgs "Z" Sandals. They are the most comparable to Crocs. As far as tennis shoe goes, Brooks Ghost are the my go to. I am an 8.5 wide. The Dawgs I get size 9, fits perfect. Brooks are true to size.

Birkenstocks. They're great but can't wear in the rain. However, they do make a water resistant version now. Highly recommend.
I will comment that I am a BIG fan of the Birkies but I just got the waterproof ones, and they do not have near the support of the other models. I would not recommend the waterproof ones except to carry in your backpack for water rides, or as pool shoes :)

Skechers reggae sole sandals and flip flops. They are a hiking sole so no slipping on wet surfaces. I go in August and cannot handle my feet in sneakers, so I'm so glad I found these, lifesavers! Good luck I hope you find something that works for you, everyone is different.

Do y'all wear sandals to the park? All day? Seems a silly question, but I would think sneakers were more comfortable for parks

In August, sneakers are too hot for me and with the daily rain showers, wet sneakers and socks are a no for me. My son does the park in sneakers. My husband does Keens or sneakers.

Vionic tides or really anything from this brand. I hate sneakers and these work well for me. If I must wear sneakers I go with Sketcher go walks but there are a ton of styles so it is a bit of trail and error to find the right ones.

Do y'all wear sandals to the park? All day? Seems a silly question, but I would think sneakers were more comfortable for parks

I wear Tevas (Tirra or Verra - I didn't like the Kayenta) or Keens during the day, especially if it looks like rain or if we will be doing water rides (mostly at Universal). I don't like wet tennis shoes.

At night I switch to tennis shoes or sometimes flip flops (my very old Tevas that they don't make any more). But I also hike in my Tevas and Keens, so I am used to wearing them. I find switching out my shoes no matter what they are to be the most important for comfort.

I wear Tevas (Tirra or Verra - I didn't like the Kayenta) or Keens during the day, especially if it looks like rain or if we will be doing water rides (mostly at Universal). I don't like wet tennis shoes.

At night I switch to tennis shoes or sometimes flip flops (my very old Tevas that they don't make any more). But I also hike in my Tevas and Keens, so I am used to wearing them. I find switching out my shoes no matter what they are to be the most important for comfort.
I will second the switching. I have two pairs of TEVA Hurricanes I purchased for our June 2018 trip. I wear the blue on odd number days and the black on even colored days. I use them in my job and wear them almost year 'round in the Tulsa area and they are still holding up.

When I can't wear my TEVAs, I wear AllBird which is the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned that are traditional type shoes.

I find most enclosed shoes to be pretty painful after a while - it's because of my high arch, those shoes apply a constant uncomfortable pressure to the top of my foot. There are a few styles that are ok, but they are hot, and there is the additional issue of them getting wet due to rain and wet rides. Because of all that, I prefer a good supportive sandal.

I guess a lot of people agree with you because Teva stopped making the Kayenta (it's my favorite so I'm constantly searching ebay for new pairs in my size!)

Oofos. Either flip flops or slip ins. I too have Achilles tendinitis in left foot, a couple years ago I had it in right foot. At that time my physical therapist said to get Oofos. Amazing support. My doctor Also gave me a brace this time that has hard sides a d ties plus wraps around the foot. The toes are not covered so I can wear my oofo flip flops. It too helps.
I’d also recommend Archies which provide good support. And for socks i only wear Feetures. Amazing built in support with socks that are specific to right and left feet. Expensive but well worth it.

I also vote you try Chacos, they come in wide and will hopefully be wide enough. There is a cloud footbed that is worth the extra money. If you have bunions consider the kind that have two or three smaller straps rather than one wide strap and get the toe straps. As long as I can get some time in these every few days I no longer need to use a bunion corrector. You can get Chacos on Amazon, some will be with Free Returns to try (gently of course) just to see if you think they will work for you, if you cant find in a shoe store locally to try (none near me).

I guess a lot of people agree with you because Teva stopped making the Kayenta (it's my favorite so I'm constantly searching ebay for new pairs in my size!)

I thought the Kayentas were very cute, but they weren't as supportive for me. Also, I don't have an especially wide foot, but the straps were very tight on me and the strap material was rough and caused a lot of pain (and I don't usually have issues with that).

I find most enclosed shoes to be pretty painful after a while - it's because of my high arch, those shoes apply a constant uncomfortable pressure to the top of my foot. There are a few styles that are ok, but they are hot, and there is the additional issue of them getting wet due to rain and wet rides. Because of all that, I prefer a good supportive sandal.

Me, too. I have a high arch too. I have some walking shoes that don't bother my arch, but they do squish my toes. I used to have bunions, but now my toes are very straight after only wearing shoes that don't squish my toes. Sandals are MUCH more comfortable.

Oofos. Either flip flops or slip ins. I too have Achilles tendinitis in left foot, a couple years ago I had it in right foot. At that time my physical therapist said to get Oofos. Amazing support. My doctor Also gave me a brace this time that has hard sides a d ties plus wraps around the foot. The toes are not covered so I can wear my oofo flip flops. It too helps.
I’d also recommend Archies which provide good support. And for socks i only wear Feetures. Amazing built in support with socks that are specific to right and left feet. Expensive but well worth it.
Oofos are quite narrow, though.

I’m not a fan of the new stretchy-upper style of running shoes due to the constant pressure they exert on the top of your foot - especially if you have to sit down in them for any length of time. It’s even worse with high arches. Can you say numb toes? Very few of the running shoes on the market now work for me, so trying on many pairs is a necessity.

It helps a lot to use a special lacing pattern that relieves pressure in the hotspots. I use one for high instep - kind of like in this article:

https://ptforhealth.com/do-you-suffer-from-foot-pain-have-you-tried-lacing-your-shoes-differently/

I wear Brooks Ghost (have to size up 1/2 - they are not true to size), and I carry Birkenstocks. I switch them up during the day.

I have similar issues and wear Keen sandals. They can be worn in the rain too and dry in no time
I second Keens. Wider than other shoes. Can wear with or without socks. Dry fast. I wore them to Hong Kong Disney. (Caveat - this was 15 years ago. But I still have them!)

I’m not a fan of the new stretchy-upper style of running shoes due to the constant pressure they exert on the top of your foot - especially if you have to sit down in them for any length of time. It’s even worse with high arches. Can you say numb toes? Very few of the running shoes on the market now work for me, so trying on many pairs is a necessity.

It helps a lot to use a special lacing pattern that relieves pressure in the hotspots. I use one for high instep - kind of like in this article:

https://ptforhealth.com/do-you-suffer-from-foot-pain-have-you-tried-lacing-your-shoes-differently/
Wow! Those lacing patterns are so helpful... thanks!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter