• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sanity check on our WDW plans for 9/22-9/26?

SarahWeasley

Mouseketeer
Hi all. Hoping you guys could look at what I'm thinking about for our next trip and tell me if you see any red flags.

We're a mid-30s couple, no kids. This will be our fourth time at WDW; last visit was May 2016. We're staying off-site (so our FP window opens in a few days, which is why I'm trying to get our plans figured out now).

He loves coasters; I like some milder coasters. I like the old-school fantasy stuff but he doesn't, so I mostly let him off the hook for that. He hates getting up early; I can generally get him to the park by 8:30 or so.

So here's what I'm thinking:

Saturday, 9/22:

We're scheduled to land at MCO at about 2 PM. Collect rental car, check in at hotel. Head to MK.

Get FPs for Space Mountain (his favorite), BTMRR (my favorite), and Buzz Lightyear (need to ride at least 2x on our trip). I'm thinking starting FPs at 4:30 PM should be reasonably safe, although I know it's possible we could still not be there by 5:30. (I'm pretty much writing off doing 7DMT on this trip unless we get really lucky with FPs. We rode it last time at DAH and it was good, but not 45+-minute-wait good.)

Besides those FPs, our goals would be to see OUAT and the fireworks, and to do stuff where crowds don't matter: Philharmagic, People Mover, Monsters Inc. If the timing doesn't work out on those, it shouldn't be too big a deal. If we can hit some other stuff with low waits, cool.

I recently found out about refreshing for earlier FPs and will definitely try to utilize that throughout our trip!

Sunday, 9/23:

Morning FPs: BTMRR and Buzz for both of us; Space Mountain for him and Peter Pan for me.

Other priorities are Haunted Mansion, POTC, the Muppets show, and any of Philharmagic, PM, or MI that we didn't see yesterday. At some point, I want to ride IASW, Little Mermaid, and Winnie the Pooh, which I'm anticipating I'll be able to get an FP for, and I figure he can go ride Space Mountain again while I'm doing those.

I'm hoping we'd have time to go back to the hotel after all that, and then in the evening I want to go over to AK with the priority being to ride FOP at the end of the night. AK is currently scheduled to close at 8 PM (with RoL at 8:15, which we can skip), so I'm figuring for arrival at the park at maybe 7:15? I don't want to cut it too close. I'm also nervous they'll close the line early and we'll miss our shot. We've never tried getting in line at park closing before.

My hope is that he will love FOP so much that on our AK day he'll be willing to get up early enough to do it again. :)

Monday, 9/24:

DHS. Get him there as early as I can (which, as said, is likely to be maybe 8:30).

Hit Slinky Dog first, then TSMM. Probably skip the Aliens unless the line is weirdly short. Get Star Tours FPs for, say, 11 AM, and TSMM FPs (gotta ride at least twice) for about 12? (edit: Actually, probably makes more sense to try for TSMM later in the day after B&B, like 2.)

Get lunch somewhere.

I'd like to see the Beauty and the Beast show, so I'm thinking I'd plan to see the 1 PM show, and try to get FPs for RNR Coaster and TOT (neither of which I want to ride*) that he could use (borrowing my MagicBand) while I'm doing that. I'd also be happy to kill time at Little Mermaid, but I don't need to see it.

At some point we'll want to see MuppetVision but that can be anytime.

Go back to the hotel and relax, and have a nice evening somewhere else. (Likely dinner at Monsieur Paul, I have an ADR.)

*He has coerced me twice into riding RNR Coaster with him; for this trip I've bartered with him that I'll try Everest instead. I will miss seeing Ken Marino, though.

Tuesday, 9/25:

Epcot. Probably arrive at 8:30.

My plan here is kind of up in the air because FP availability is worse (it's a PM EMH), so I can't count on anything right now. We want to do Soarin', Living with the Land, MS Orange, and Test Track (together), plus Spaceship Earth and Turtle Talk, and I want to ride FEA. Plus we'll walk World Showcase, of course.

I think I'll just have to wait and see what FPs I can get and try to arrange around that. One thing I have gleaned is that Soarin' queues seem to be way better than they used to be and I should definitely prioritize a TT FP over Soarin'. FEA waits in the morning don't seem that bad these days either (I wouldn't wait more than 40 minutes at most for it, it took me like two years to watch Frozen on a plane and I was underwhelmed).

Wednesday, 9/26:

AK. As said, I'm hoping he will be motivated by doing FOP on Sunday to get up early enough to get a second FOP ride first thing.

If not, I might be motivated to get a Lyft over by myself to ride first thing. We'll see.

Otherwise, I'm not that bothered about this day. I'll get FPs for Navi, Kilimanjaro and Everest (and he'll probably ride Everest again single-rider which has always been fast). We'll also want to ride Dinosaur, ITTBAB, and Primeval Whirl, and do the trails. We might see one of the shows (I've heard Flights of Wonder isn't worth it anymore with the UP! conversion, which is too bad). I think I'd like to see Nemo, we've never managed it. But aside from FOP, I don't feel like there's that much to worry about.

And when we're done at AK, we will head over to Universal for the second part of our vacation!

Any thoughts are appreciated. (And just writing this stuff down certainly helped in itself.) Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi all. Hoping you guys could look at what I'm thinking about for our next trip and tell me if you see any red flags.

We're a mid-30s couple, no kids. This will be our fourth time at WDW; last visit was May 2016. We're staying off-site (so our FP window opens in a few days, which is why I'm trying to get our plans figured out now).

He loves coasters; I like some milder coasters. I like the old-school fantasy stuff but he doesn't, so I mostly let him off the hook for that. He hates getting up early; I can generally get him to the park by 8:30 or so.

So here's what I'm thinking:

Saturday, 9/22:

We're scheduled to land at MCO at about 2 PM. Collect rental car, check in at hotel. Head to MK.

Get FPs for Space Mountain (his favorite), BTMRR (my favorite), and Buzz Lightyear (need to ride at least 2x on our trip). I'm thinking starting FPs at 4:30 PM should be reasonably safe, although I know it's possible we could still not be there by 5:30. (I'm pretty much writing off doing 7DMT on this trip unless we get really lucky with FPs. We rode it last time at DAH and it was good, but not 45+-minute-wait good.)

Besides those FPs, our goals would be to see OUAT and the fireworks, and to do stuff where crowds don't matter: Philharmagic, People Mover, Monsters Inc. If the timing doesn't work out on those, it shouldn't be too big a deal. If we can hit some other stuff with low waits, cool.

I recently found out about refreshing for earlier FPs and will definitely try to utilize that throughout our trip!

Sunday, 9/23:

Morning FPs: BTMRR and Buzz for both of us; Space Mountain for him and Peter Pan for me.

Other priorities are Haunted Mansion, POTC, the Muppets show, and any of Philharmagic, PM, or MI that we didn't see yesterday. At some point, I want to ride IASW, Little Mermaid, and Winnie the Pooh, which I'm anticipating I'll be able to get an FP for, and I figure he can go ride Space Mountain again while I'm doing those.

I'm hoping we'd have time to go back to the hotel after all that, and then in the evening I want to go over to AK with the priority being to ride FOP at the end of the night. AK is currently scheduled to close at 8 PM (with RoL at 8:15, which we can skip), so I'm figuring for arrival at the park at maybe 7:15? I don't want to cut it too close. I'm also nervous they'll close the line early and we'll miss our shot. We've never tried getting in line at park closing before.

My hope is that he will love FOP so much that on our AK day he'll be willing to get up early enough to do it again. :)

Monday, 9/24:

DHS. Get him there as early as I can (which, as said, is likely to be maybe 8:30).

Hit Slinky Dog first, then TSMM. Probably skip the Aliens unless the line is weirdly short. Get Star Tours FPs for, say, 11 AM, and TSMM FPs (gotta ride at least twice) for about 12?

Get lunch somewhere.

I'd like to see the Beauty and the Beast show, so I'm thinking I'd plan to see the 1 PM show, and try to get FPs for RNR Coaster and TOT (neither of which I want to ride*) that he could use (borrowing my MagicBand) while I'm doing that. I'd also be happy to kill time at Little Mermaid, but I don't need to see it.

At some point we'll want to see MuppetVision but that can be anytime.

Go back to the hotel and relax, and have a nice evening somewhere else. (Likely dinner at Monsieur Paul, I have an ADR.)

*He has coerced me twice into riding RNR Coaster with him; for this trip I've bartered with him that I'll try Everest instead. I will miss seeing Ken Marino, though.

Tuesday, 9/25:

Epcot. Probably arrive at 8:30.

My plan here is kind of up in the air because FP availability is worse (it's a PM EMH), so I can't count on anything right now. We want to do Soarin', Living with the Land, MS Orange, and Test Track (together), plus Spaceship Earth and Turtle Talk, and I want to ride FEA. Plus we'll walk World Showcase, of course.

I think I'll just have to wait and see what FPs I can get and try to arrange around that. One thing I have gleaned is that Soarin' queues seem to be way better than they used to be and I should definitely prioritize a TT FP over Soarin'. FEA waits in the morning don't seem that bad these days either (I wouldn't wait more than 40 minutes at most for it, it took me like two years to watch Frozen on a plane and I was underwhelmed).

Wednesday, 9/26:

AK. As said, I'm hoping he will be motivated by doing FOP on Sunday to get up early enough to get a second FOP ride first thing.

If not, I might be motivated to get a Lyft over by myself to ride first thing. We'll see.

Otherwise, I'm not that bothered about this day. I'll get FPs for Navi, Kilimanjaro and Everest (and he'll probably ride Everest again single-rider which has always been fast). We'll also want to ride Dinosaur, ITTBAB, and Primeval Whirl, and do the trails. We might see one of the shows (I've heard Flights of Wonder isn't worth it anymore with the UP! conversion, which is too bad). I think I'd like to see Nemo, we've never managed it. But aside from FOP, I don't feel like there's that much to worry about.

And when we're done at AK, we will head over to Universal for the second part of our vacation!

Any thoughts are appreciated. (And just writing this stuff down certainly helped in itself.) Thanks!
It looks great!

I just want to add that it’ll be Magical Dining Month in Orlando where 3-course meals are only $35/person at a number of amazing restaurants. It’s the reason for my September visits to FL! :-)

https://www.visitorlando.com/magicaldining/

I can't give any advice about the Toy Story stuff because I haven't been since it opened, but I don't see any big issues with your plan. You sound pretty flexible, so you should be fine. One thing I'd suggest is to ride Test Track single rider, that's usually our preference to not use a FP on it. You'll probably need it for FEA.

My only advise would be for your 1st day - If you want to start with FPs around 430p it's still a bit tight for my liking BUT it should still be do-able. Since Space Mountain is going to be the harder of all of these to get, I would make that FP a little later. So maybe Buzz around 430p, then Space Mtn right after and the BTMRR. This way if you are delayed some then the harder one's are a little later.

Can I just say I love that you guys are willing to do your own thing and compromise on doing different rides at the same time?! I should try this tactic with my hubs. I always wonder if you can get single FP's easier than always trying for 2+. Your plans look great - have a great time!

I think your plan looks amazing! Only tidbit I have is for your EP day, if you're willing to ride single rider for TT, that may be a good option and get the FP for Soarin' instead (assuming availability at your 30 days).

Thanks so much for the feedback! Glad to know I'm not missing anything obvious. I might keep that Magical Dining deal in mind for our Wednesday night dinner!

Chelsey - We're coming from DC, not Houston, but maybe I'll see you (and have no idea, of course) in the airport :)

sara_s - Thanks! I think I realized on our first Disney trip together that I'd rather not drag him (most of the time) on the stuff that isn't his thing, and at that time there was no way I'd ride any coaster except BTMRR, so I do plan for splitting up and just try to do it as efficiently as possible. He makes a lot of compromises for me on these trips so it's important to me that he gets to do the things that are important to him. And it's great that there are still so many attractions we both enjoy together :)

Incidental side note: I realized this morning that even though I don't like coasters as a general rule, after this trip I will have ridden every coaster at WDW except for Barnstormer! The Universal coasters will always be off-limits for me, though, I get nightmares just from looking at Rip Ride Rockit.

sara_s - Thanks! I think I realized on our first Disney trip together that I'd rather not drag him (most of the time) on the stuff that isn't his thing, and at that time there was no way I'd ride any coaster except BTMRR, so I do plan for splitting up and just try to do it as efficiently as possible. He makes a lot of compromises for me on these trips so it's important to me that he gets to do the things that are important to him. And it's great that there are still so many attractions we both enjoy together :)

That's what it's all about! Hope you guys have a blast!

Looks like fun! For FOP in the evening, they likely won't close the line early. In my experience the line closes exactly when the park closes, and if you're in line you're fine. Don't forget you'll be there during the Food & Wine festival, so be sure to check out some of the booths while you're in Epcot!

Personally - I would want to ride Slinky Dog. And without a FP - I would make that happen at RD. You don't really need to have early mornings on your other days - so maybe that's the ONE DAY you make it early. Read other threads to find out what time you really need to be there for that. I haven't ridden Aliens yet, but I've ridden Tow Mater in CA - and it's a lot more fun of a ride that folks give it credit for. I'd wait up to 30 minutes for it.

At EPCOT - getting FEA is still a tough FP. I'd plan on that one as a FP. Personally - I won't wait greater than 20 minutes for that one. TT - ride single rider. You'll wait in line together. And you might even make it into the same car. I love this ride - it's a must do for the whole family - but we don't waste a FP on it since we can do single rider.

You won't find me on RnR - but I've made it on Everest twice (which is practically not at all given the number of times I've been there - and I might make it on Everest again some time. So - I think you'll survive Everest.

Otherwise - it sounds like you have the right attitude with regard to getting FP's at the 30 day mark, flexibility in your plans, checking FP during the day, etc. Sounds like you knwo each other well as a couple - so should be a great trip!

My only concern is that 4;30 FP on the first day. I would consider changing it to 5 for a little wiggle room. Also, consider SDD at nite also - they say its really neat to ride at nite with all the lights. And don't forget the F&W booths at Epcot

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter