Santa Nella?

Ashlotte

DIS Veteran
We are driving from Portland to DLR this summer, with detours to the Redwoods and San Francisco. The day we go to SF, we were thinking about heading south a bit before bed to give us a head start to Disneyland the next day. I know nothing about the area. It looked like Santa Nella might be a place to stop overnight along the way, and is just a bit south from San Francisco. Is Santa Nella safe? Any other suggestions? TIA!

Should be safe. There's basically Pea Soup Andersen's and a bunch of quick serve and fast food places.

I've never stayed there, but we almost always stop and eat at the Denny's there (it is the only Denny's I'll even consider these days) and I would feel safe staying there qith my children and/or parents.

Hot. Flat. Dusty. There's a Pea Soup Anderson's there. And a motel. Should be perfectly safe.

Personally, if you're sleeping between SF and LA I'd take the 101 - more scenic with nice places to stop.

If you're camping at Redwoods, then maybe a visit to Pinnacles NP might be good for you.

I pass through here every other week as my step sons live in Los Banos & I Would say it feells perfectly safe to me. & Pea Soup Andersons In Gustine is a good restaurant too.

We've stopped in Santa Nella every summer on our drive from OR to CA since I was little. It used to be one of the only mid-drive options with hotels. Never had any issues with safety or finding a room there. :thumbsup2

I accidentally stayed in Santa Nella after a day in Yosemite in 2008. Wanted to stay in Merced, but didn't like the motel and in my coupon book Santa Nella looked like it was just next to Merced... but found out that it was over an hour away!
Anyway. Stayed at the Holiday Inn in Santa Nella and thought it was great. There was nothing to do but to just relax at the nice hotel and swim in the pool. As I remember it the hotel was very nice, clean, offered a great free breakfast and the staff was friendly.
The city doesn't have much to offer, but I needed a couple of days to relax so instead of just staying overnight, I stayed two or three nights.
It has been five years now so the city might have changed, but I felt pretty safe, didn't like the food at Andersen's restaurant, thought the small kiosk/mini grocery store was pretty awfull, but really liked the Denny's :)

I accidentally stayed in Santa Nella after a day in Yosemite in 2008. Wanted to stay in Merced, but didn't like the motel and in my coupon book Santa Nella looked like it was just next to Merced... but found out that it was over an hour away!
Anyway. Stayed at the Holiday Inn in Santa Nella and thought it was great. There was nothing to do but to just relax at the nice hotel and swim in the pool. As I remember it the hotel was very nice, clean, offered a great free breakfast and the staff was friendly.
The city doesn't have much to offer, but I needed a couple of days to relax so instead of just staying overnight, I stayed two or three nights.
It has been five years now so the city might have changed, but I felt pretty safe, didn't like the food at Andersen's restaurant, thought the small kiosk/mini grocery store was pretty awfull, but really liked the Denny's :)

That's a Holiday Inn Express, which typically comes with the free breakfast bar. Regular Holiday Inns all charge for meals in their restaurants, and I think all are supposed to have one. I do remember reserving one by phone where the HI operator asked if I wanted to pay an extra $8 for a $20 dining credit. I said OK, but when I got there the clerk said it was supposed to be $20 (made no sense to me). I didn't complain or anything, but got the credit (a coupon actually) for free. Didn't even manage to use it up.

Thanks everyone! I think I'll give it a try. It'll get me two hours closer to Disneyland compared to staying in San Francisco and it will be a lot cheaper. :thumbsup2

We stayed in Santa Nella on our trip from OR to DLR. The drive from Santa Nella to DLR was pretty fast too, after the previous long day of driving, this was nice. :)

We are frequent drivers to Disneyland from Salem, OR and Santa Nella is our usual stop. The Holiday Inn Express there has been great. Not much there, but it is just a stop to rest, let the kids have a swim and get to Disneyland the next day. It's has worked well for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter