• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sapphire Falls vs. Cabana Bay

spoliz911

Earning My Ears
Really curious as to everyone's thoughts on these two properties. Have read a lot of reviews and have stayed at the Cabana Bay three years ago. We now have a little one, she will be six months and we are going for five nights in August. Tagging along with another family, but they are staying at the Marriott and we would like to stay in the Universal area because we have a five-day ticket. We like to walk, but not sure if there is a legit walking path from the Cabana Bay to the parks? What I read is you have to close a major highway ... not going to happen with a stroller. Do I spend the extra 500 bucks for the convenience of the boats (which I like, not going to lie)? Just curious as to everyone's thoughts/opinions. Very much appreciated!

Really curious as to everyone's thoughts on these two properties. Have read a lot of reviews and have stayed at the Cabana Bay three years ago. We now have a little one, she will be six months and we are going for five nights in August. Tagging along with another family, but they are staying at the Marriott and we would like to stay in the Universal area because we have a five-day ticket. We like to walk, but not sure if there is a legit walking path from the Cabana Bay to the parks? What I read is you have to close a major highway ... not going to happen with a stroller. Do I spend the extra 500 bucks for the convenience of the boats (which I like, not going to lie)? Just curious as to everyone's thoughts/opinions. Very much appreciated!
I've never stayed at Sapphire Falls. It seems a little nicer, more upscale than Cabana Bay. The pool looks nice. There is a legit walking path from CB to the parks, there are pedestrian bridges over the roads. About 20-25 minutes, and it's going to be hot in August. You've stayed at CB, the buses aren't bad. You could also use the pedestrian bridge to cross over to SF and take the boat. Only you can decide if the extra $500 is worth it!

Stayed at both multiple times and they're both great. One is just deluxe while the other is more like a moderate hotel.

Just some differences of the stay... Sapphire Falls has valet parking, Cabana doesn't. Sapphire has poolside servers that will take your drink and food orders, Cabana doesn't. They also have some nice sit-down dining options compared to the quick serve options of Cabana. Sapphire has the water taxis which are convenient, but the bus service at Cabana is great as well.

Honestly, you can't go wrong either way, so whatever makes your lives easier with the baby.

The walkway from Cabana Bay to the parks is pretty, but like the previous poster said, 20-25 minutes in the heat can be fatiguing. Also pay attention to where the garden path is in relation to the type of room you have at Cabana Bay.. it is on the verrrry end of the courtyard for the exterior entry rooms. It can be a hike just to get to the path from where you are in CB.

Also as mentioned, the pedestrian bridge to cross over to SF is easy enough (it's the same path that gets you to the parks), but to dip off the path and head to Sapphire Falls takes you through a bit of walk. It feels needlessly punishing, especially when you see people darting across the street to avoid the pathway and save themselves 10-15 minutes. I went once with some older people and by the end of the vacation, they were so sick of the official walkway to SF, they were just running across the street because of how annoying that path to Sapphire Falls was. (There's a stop light in front of the hotels, but there's no crosswalk, so you have to be extremely cautious. I wouldn't consider with a stroller, imo.)

I personally prefer to stay at Sapphire Falls for the nicer feel and ease of boat use. When I stay at SF, I visit Cabana Bay occasionally for the food court and pool scene. An alternative is Aventura, which is right next door to Sapphire and would make the boats very easily accessible. Cheaper than SF too.

The walkway from Cabana Bay to the parks is pretty, but like the previous poster said, 20-25 minutes in the heat can be fatiguing. Also pay attention to where the garden path is in relation to the type of room you have at Cabana Bay.. it is on the verrrry end of the courtyard for the exterior entry rooms. It can be a hike just to get to the path from where you are in CB.

Also as mentioned, the pedestrian bridge to cross over to SF is easy enough (it's the same path that gets you to the parks), but to dip off the path and head to Sapphire Falls takes you through a bit of walk. It feels needlessly punishing, especially when you see people darting across the street to avoid the pathway and save themselves 10-15 minutes. I went once with some older people and by the end of the vacation, they were so sick of the official walkway to SF, they were just running across the street because of how annoying that path to Sapphire Falls was. (There's a stop light in front of the hotels, but there's no crosswalk, so you have to be extremely cautious. I wouldn't consider with a stroller, imo.)

I personally prefer to stay at Sapphire Falls for the nicer feel and ease of boat use. When I stay at SF, I visit Cabana Bay occasionally for the food court and pool scene. An alternative is Aventura, which is right next door to Sapphire and would make the boats very easily accessible. Cheaper than SF too.
Lol I cross the street to go to CB from Sapphire, there is a traffic light. I don’t know why they don’t put in a crosswalk. Love the international grill at the food court.

Both are fun hotels. I enjoyed the interior room I had at CB. But Sapphire is beautiful and more upscale.
The baby won’t care where she is. So stay where you’ll be more comfortable. One advantage to Cabana Bay is the family suites. The baby could have a separate room in the living room while you could be in the bedroom and not have to worry about lights on, tv etc. after the baby goes to sleep.

Lol I cross the street to go to CB from Sapphire, there is a traffic light. I don’t know why they don’t put in a crosswalk. Love the international grill at the food court.
Me too, but I grew up in a city and live in a city now where I have to make sure cars stop at the light when it changes before I cross! Some people are not used to it.

Both are great hotels. I prefer Cabana Bay due to the lazy river and also I think the food options are better. Sapphire Falls has more sit down restaurants. And the Boat as well. I think in terms of quick bites to get Sapphire falls has very limited options.

I agree that Adventura is a good alternative. And you can always pool hop if you wish too.

One of the things I didn't like about SF was the lack of quick food options compared to bayliner diner which is great. If its a big price difference I personally don't think its worth it. Or if you're just looking for a standard room Aventura is a good alternative. Their food court is decent, shares bus with CB and its just next door to SF so you can easily get to their boat dock. I like all three for different reasons but probably wouldn't stay at SF again unless I got a really cheap rate. CB is our favorite non-deluxe.

Sapphire Falls is my go to especially if just me and one other person-but with family we tend to stay in CB suites. With a younger one the convenience of the sink, fridge, and microwave is so nice! You can request to be closer to lobby to cut walk down too. I prefer the food options at CB as well-the Bayliner diner makes great fresh food, even the bowling alley has good food (I also like the SWizzle lounge in the lobby but for my adult beverages).
Easy to take bus to parks from CB, boat back to SF and walk back to CB if you prefer to not go all way through city walk at end of night.
Also-you can go from SF to RPR without going outside-we've done it a ton of times-but you do need to know where you are going or you can get lost in the conference areas lol!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter