Saratoga Springs - 2 1 bedrooms 7/30-8/6/21 - EPIC TRIP REPORT

eMoneyBug

DIS Veteran
HOW IT WAS PLANNED

HOW IT TURNED OUT

***********.com really helped us add people and when we checked in to combine to let them know, it was never an issue anywhere. Ohana 7 became 8. Beaches and Crème 4+2 became 7, etc.

Fri 7/30: Line for Magical Express at MCO was like 5 people so 1 min wait and after we loaded we were off and arrived at SSR about 415pm. Our 2 1 bedrooms were not ready, so we opted to leave our luggage with Bell Services and off we went to Disney Springs to get a snack at Gideon’s (our 1st visit ever) very cool experience and a must try for every sweet tooth I think. Our group got CC, PB cookies and keylime and red velvet cake (they took magic band, meaning I could pay with my Disney Gift Card). Shortly before 5pm, rooms were ready so we headed back to try out our cookies at Saratoga. SSR filled my request of both rooms as close to each other as possible in Paddock closer to Congress Park (we got the 2nd building and our rooms were 1 door down from each other). Some of us had stayed in the country style and some 1st visit but all were quite impressed with the new rooms. Even though the group was hungry from all day travel and essentially not eating lunch yet, the richness of the Gideon items nobody finished and saved for later (so in future if it’s just a snack, probably 2 can share 1 cookie, maybe even 3). Bus to MK and Boat to Poly: Ohana dinner was so worth it. We got a corner table that overlooked the pool and lake. 6 of the 8 was their 1st time dining there so they had nothing to compare the new menu vs. They loved being able to see the Electrical Water Pageant and later on Fireworks from the table. I have nothing but good things to say about the service and food. There was something for everyone that they liked a lot, a few of the girls even loved the shrimp casserole that many online now seem to despise. Maybe since our dining was so late, but we were not rushed (like last time in 2018 when it was just wife and I), our server kept bringing food even without us requesting. We started off strong as the group was hungry as this was 1st meal of the day really, but by dinners end we had a table full of food so our server offered us some to go bins. He said maybe you will have time for snack later in the week in your room and why let it goto waste.

Sat 7/31: My wife woke up early to try to get Rise at 7am but failed we were all bummed, SSR bus service was great, left room at 8am ish and there at HS by 830am. Our 1st time on Runaway and we LOVED it, all lines said longer minutes than reality. Oga’s was a hit, some of us have been to the Disneyland Oga’s but some it was their 1st time, so it was an awesome experience. We enjoyed cooling down with some beverages, even our under 21s enjoyed their fancy mocktails. And we all pulled out our phones for the 1pm RISE and we HOOTED and hollered as we scored a party of 3 for RISE group 91 and another party of 3 as backup group 137, pro fotos in Batuu are awesome including the super zoom in and out shot by the TIE fighter, must do if you have Memory Maker. We checked with the RISE folks on how we could we all ride together and they said just dont goto the 91 and come back for the 137 and we’ll let all 8 of you on and they did, some of the group it was their 1st time on RISE and they were WOWED. We finished the day on Runaway and ran late to Disney Springs Splitsville, but they had us seated upstairs after a 5 min wait, which was fine. We had a nice meal at a table by the window overlooking DS.

Sun 8/1: We planned Epcot since it didn’t open until 11am giving us some extra Z after a full day. We started at Test Track than Frozen ride before heading to the French Bakery, Les Halles, one of our favorites each time we get to visit, than had our 1st beverage of the day at the France Pavilion: La Passion Martini Slushy – great choice! It was a full day of travelling around the world, my son and his friend both turned 21 earlier this year, so they were hyped to drink around the world. Our only miss was that the DVC Lounge closed at 6pm, we got there at 545pm to take a quick break, but of course didn’t get to stay too long since I was off on the closure time. Wife and I were wiped out by 8pm so we did some shopping and sitting as the younger 6 finished running around Epcot until closing! We opted to not even meet at Regal Eagle BBQ or goto Boardwalk for Pizza since we had eaten / drank so much throughout the day. Ohana leftovers to the rescue, we just told them if you are hungry just heat up that. A few of them did and that knocked out about ½ the leftovers.

Mon 8/2: We have 1 park enthusiast in the group and off she went at 7am to AKL! Rest of us slept in a bit and enjoyed the quick service breakfast at Artist Palette. Some opted for shopping at Disney Springs and some the main High Rock Spring Pool, while myself took a quick visit to the Paddock pool. We took the bus to DS and bus to Beach Club for lunch. Some had not seen this resort so they were quite impressed as am I every time I am near Crescent Lake. I encouraged sharing of our lunch because we had KITCHEN SINK Goals. There was 7 of us so we barely finished the dessert! It was a wonderful meal. We tried to mini golf after but potential lightning halted those plans but now we know you walk thru the Swan and you’ll see it across the street (also if you have the pass that comes with the free bonus mini golf, you have to be there before 4pm). Wife and I opted to go see the DVC 2bedroom back at BC and wow, love the lobby there for DVC with pool table and the library room that leads out the DVC quiet pool. If this was not a 2042 resort, I would probably find a way to buy some points here. Walked to Epcot and took the Skyliner for the 1st time (I recall this from my childhood Disneyland days, so I quite enjoyed it and I hope they build more lines and maybe even some at Disneyland!) and explored 1 of the All Stars that has the CARS and eventually made it to Riviera to tour their villas as well (OMG the 3bedroom WOW). Their bar downstairs has slushy drinks (my fav) and the group met up there and we got up to the rooftop early before Topolino’s dinner to enjoy the view and our beverages. They have a private room there in the corner with 2 tables, so I don’t think I enjoyed being in there as much as part of the crowd with the windows all around, but food and service was quite excellent. On our celebrations we noted 2 young men turning 21 earlier this year and a HS grad, so end of meal they brought up some nice celebration treats (my HS grad didn’t make it as after her full day of DS shopping she had fallen asleep in the room!) We got out of there prob 11pm and had to order Lyfts back to SSR as they said buses were done.

Tue 8/3: SSR bus service not crowded and plentiful again, left room at 8am and was at MK before park opening before you know it. My wife finally made group trip shirts (1st time ever) and most of the group just wore it over what they wanted to wear for our group castle pictures. Ride times were over estimated (really the whole trip it was this way), so it was nice as 40mins was really 25, etc. We did try the lobster rolls as planned and it was good and well portioned as we didn’t leave hungry or overly full, so this way a few hours later we were able to buy popcorn and whip floats, etc. For dinner, it was the first time in the Castle for a few so they were WOWED just like we all were our 1st time inside. They seated us right in the middle 1st table in the ballroom. BEAST came out a few times, we kept saying he and Belle should come out for a 1st dance instead of just a walk around. My daughter finally got her HS grad celebration as they brought out a special Beast postcard and mickey shaped grey stuff on a plate to celebrate. The desserts were very rich, with the Chip cup being everyone’s favorite picture worthy cute item. No regrets as the dinner was for the experience and honestly the food nobody in our group had complaints so definitely a success.

Wed 8/4: Group of 6 was out early at 7am to goto AKL, so wife and I played the day on the fly. Park Tickets learning, my daughter originally said 3 days, so in order to extend to a 4 day you have to handle it before using the 3rd day up, so we def wound up paying more as we had her buy a ticket at the window at AKL. The younger group seemed to have a great visit to AKL, breakfast somewhere in Pandora and lunch as well. We grabbed our 6 pack of cider and toured the SSR Treehouse and than headed to Poly for quick service lunch at Capt Cooks, we like their menu there. We were too late for breakfast but enjoyed sitting outside near the pool, the shrimp zoodle and pork nachos were delightful and of course our whip float afterwards. We toured the Bungalow where we said to heck with points, we need to get this for at least 2 nights in a future trip! Next stop GF, where we toured and they also have TVs in the bathrooms like Poly’s Bungalow and some of the newer Las Vegas hotels (possibly unpopular opinion but wife and I both said, if RIV and GF were available which would we pick and we both said RIV. I do like the huge GF lobby and ate dinner once at 1900 and still want to dine at the café and Narcoossee tho). Quick stop at Enchanted Rose before we took the boat to MK and another boat to Copper Creek to tour the Cabin, which was basically the same floorplan as the Bungalow but of course different location/theming. It was quite nice, but we said we have stayed in Cabin types during our winter snow trips so we prob okay with never reserving one. We had to split the Bison burger since we don’t know when we’ll be back and have always wanted to try and it did not disappoint. No regrets. We headed to DS after for our 1st visit to Homecomin’ Absolutely wonderful experience as we could never fit it into our schedule prior and now it seems it’s a must to have on future trips after this experience, between trying moonshine, gator appetizer and fried chicken <-I think it’s the best I’ve had including Plaza Inn Disneyland as theirs def smaller pieces and sometimes a lil over cooked. Our server was super patient and awesome and even threw in 2 slices to go of their special cake. If you are towards the end of your trip, have some of your smaller appetites share. We brought back boxes to the room! DS closes at 11pm, so our group hustled out to go explore some shops while some of us headed straight back to SSR. Perfect scenario would have been dinner at 830pm, since AKL closed at 7pm, but we couldn’t get an earlier time and they possibly could have seated us earlier but since some saw the resy time they lagged on getting to DS.

Thur 8/5: Universal day. Ordered 2 Lyfts shortly before 8am and were dropped off before 830am and in Universal at 845am. They do have early hour, so before the Hulk ride there was a cut off holding us regulars. 1st stop was the Velocicoaster <-wow thrill coaster enthusiasts, this is a must go on. To me it’s like a longer version of my hometown Six Flags Magic Mountain’s X2 ride. We got a virtual que for Hagrids which was my favorite of the day. The Hogwarts Express is a must try, we only did 1 park last time and didn’t get to try it and you must ride it both ways, it is awesome. Lunch at Leaky Cauldron was fun as well to spend more time in the Wizardy world. Mask topic and feel between Dis and U: difference is Universal just has the speaker reminding you to wear your mask, none of the workers say anything. Disney cast members are constantly reminding, that was the main difference between the 2 parks. Late in the day, we were able to secure a 2nd que for Hagrids, so thanks to my Lyft driver for that tip to go on during daylight and than again late at night when its dark. I messed up on the park closing as the other side closed at 10pm, so we didn’t get to dinner until 1015pm since Hagrids took so long, but they seated us right away and all was well. Toothsum is like Beaches & Cream, I do wish they would have partnered with Willy Wonka and themed the inside of the restaurant. Speaking of theming there are certain parts of Universal that should be torn down and re-themed, like right outside Hogsmeade is a stinky land that is just a waste of space that we just all walked thru and never batted an eye. Why not add to Harry Potter World for example? Lyft home at midnite were like double the cost of rides there in the am.

Fri 8/6: Last chance to goto Disney Springs and half the group did! Thankfully they woke early packed their bags and were ready at the door, we called Bell Services and they picked up all our stuff and had room for the remaining 4 to golf cart it from Paddock to Artist Palette and when the others returned in plenty of time before the Magical Express, the hungry ones enjoyed the leftovers, including those slices of Homecomin’ cake which were fantastic. The leftovers did come in handy afterall, I like a no waste trip! DEF our most EPIC trip, surpassing all prior WDW trips (which some included Disney Cruise) and rivalling our Aulani trip from about 8 years ago. First flights for most of us since the pandemic started so feels great to be able to vacation again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter