Sargasso Sea Weed Reports

mevelandry

DIS Veteran
I've been reading a lot of reports lately about the Sargasso sea weed destroying the ambiance and the look of beaches (apparently terrible in Mexico right now) and causing a lot of problems to the beach goers and wildlife.

It is the kind of stuff that has a lot of impact on my vacation and I am not the only one.

Apparently it's been a recurring problem and has become stronger within the last years.

We have been lucky, our last cruise (April) has been perfect with an immaculate beach at Castaway Cay. But I worry about our next ones. I would love to know how it's going to be (in advance) because it might have a huge impact on my plans.

I thought: Hey, why not create a sea weed thread?

You could post your reports about your (very recent) last cruise and pictures if you want (good or bad). It can be about Castaway Cay and/or any other DCL cruise port (Nassau, Cozumel, Cayman Island).

That thread could be a great vacation planning tool.

Thanks in advance!

I can't speak from a cruise perspective, but I recently spent a week at Riveria Maya which is right across from Cozumel. The seaweed was really bad, couldn't go into the water at the resort I was staying at. Men were outside from sun up to sun down cleaning seaweed from the beach, and didn't even put a dent into it. However, we did a snorkeling excursion out of Cancun and no issues with seaweed. So, in summary, I think it depends on where you are at, and what side of the island you are on. It did not spoil my vacation. After all, I WAS NOT AT WORK.

I created the above referenced thread. I too am interested in this information, wherever people choose to post it. We are sailing in 3 weeks. While it wouldn't change our plans, I am just hoping for good clean beaches! I'd love to see some positive reports. Please, save your dirty beach reports, I don't want to hear them!:scared::P

Just kidding. I suppose I can handle the truth.

I was at castaway cay yesterday and there was no seaweed at either the family beach or serenity bay. However, there was a huge storm around 12:30 and it didn't stop raining until about 4:00. That was kind of a downer.

I was at castaway cay yesterday and there was no seaweed at either the family beach or serenity bay. However, there was a huge storm around 12:30 and it didn't stop raining until about 4:00. That was kind of a downer.

Thanks for your report. Good news about the seaweed... but the storm... bummer. :sad:

Oh, ugh! What did you do during that time? Did you stay on the lsland or go back to the ship? I am so worried about that happening to me in 3 weeks... CC is the biggest thing for me about this whole cruise.

Oh, ugh! What did you do during that time? Did you stay on the lsland or go back to the ship? I am so worried about that happening to me in 3 weeks... CC is the biggest thing for me about this whole cruise.

That's not the worst case scenario! Last February we couldn't even dock at CC, so disappointing

That's not the worst case scenario! Last February we couldn't even dock at CC, so disappointing
True! I am more worried about not getting to set foot on the island. I hope the weather holds up but at least getting to dock would be the most important. I'm sorry you didn't get to dock in Feb. I hope you have another cruise planned to make up for it!

True! I am more worried about not getting to set foot on the island. I hope the weather holds up but at least getting to dock would be the most important. I'm sorry you didn't get to dock in Feb. I hope you have another cruise planned to make up for it!

I sure do :) Next one is in 25 days on the Fantasy!

Well we were eating lunch at Serenity Bay when it started, and we stayed fairly dry because each table has a large umbrella over it. We sat there for about an hour thinking it would stop any minute, and then dashed through the downpour over to the bar at Serenity Bay which also has umbrellas over the tables. We waited about another hour and then headed back to the ship. While we were on the tram, it changed to a heavy sprinkle so we got off and did some shopping for a bit. But, it switched back to a rain while we were shopping and so we finally went back to the ship around 3:00 or so.

REPORT:

DCLBACH and lowrider did not notice sea weed on the Castaway Cay beaches during their cruise, last week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter