SAT Prep

SandyinMonterey

DIS Veteran
I am looking for people's and experiences with SAT Prep. On line, specifically The Princeton Review, and in person. My daughter has taken the SAT twice, and her score the last time has gone down. She is a straight A student with a 4.0 GPA and in HS Algebra 2 would get test grades of 104. Yesterday we met with a local SAT tutoring company and she took a mock SAT and went even further down. But when I tell you that cost of SAT tutoring was high, I'm not kidding. A price of a used car. She planned on taking it in June and August but tutor said not to take it in June and plan for August because colleges do not like to see 4-5 tries with the SAT. Any advice/information would be appreciated. I'm trying to help/support my daughter in any way I can.

I am looking for people's and experiences with SAT Prep. On line, specifically The Princeton Review, and in person. My daughter has taken the SAT twice, and her score the last time has gone down. She is a straight A student with a 4.0 GPA and in HS Algebra 2 would get test grades of 104. Yesterday we met with a local SAT tutoring company and she took a mock SAT and went even further down. But when I tell you that cost of SAT tutoring was high, I'm not kidding. A price of a used car. She planned on taking it in June and August but tutor said not to take it in June and plan for August because colleges do not like to see 4-5 tries with the SAT. Any advice/information would be appreciated. I'm trying to help/support my daughter in any way I can.
A lot of the florida schools use the Ray Dass system called SARA

The majority of universities will no longer require the SAT for classes beginning Fall 2023. I might consider saving that money for better use. The SAT, nor any standardized test, is not a good measure of how suited someone is for college, and they are finally realizing that.

I know you said SAT, but perhaps these ideas will help with the SAT.

Does her high school guidance counseling office offer any suggestions?

My daughter and her classmates decided that they wanted to support each other in taking the ACT. They worked with a teacher who was great in helping kids apply and get into dream schools. The kids started their own peer to peer ACT tutoring after class. My daughter was stronger in science and English. Her friend was stronger in Math. They used practice tests and taught each other and other peers the concepts that they needed help in.

Does your daughter have a friend or group of friends who could do some peer to peer teaching?

Don't be afraid to look around in the community to see if there are other SAT prep opportunities. Our orthodontist was extremely supportive and had a very effective ACT class prep on a Saturday that was free to all patients! A retired high school principal also offered an ACT prep class. Maybe a neighboring high school has offerings, or suggestions, if your local one does not. There is a non-profit here that is called Get to College which provides help for families navigating the college prep process.

I would suggest taking the ACT instead of trying the SAT again. And although some colleges don't require testing any longer, I have also read that merit scholarships still look at them (test scores actually help level the field, as there are really great high schools, and many lousy ones.)

All 3 of my kids got scholarships based on their test scores. I had them take both tests. My son didn't qualify for the full tuition scholarship with the SAT, but did with the ACT. Huge difference between the scores. My youngest started with the SAT, and qualified for full tuition scholarship with that.

The majority of universities will no longer require the SAT for classes beginning Fall 2023. I might consider saving that money for better use. The SAT, nor any standardized test, is not a good measure of how suited someone is for college, and they are finally realizing that.
That is true. But there is sometimes another side to that. We have been on many college visits, in and out of state. You don't have to admit your SAT score if your GPA is above 3.8 (which isn't an issue for my daughter). But out of state, if you don't a submit your SAT score, acceptance percentage is 10%. If a college was deciding between my daughter and another student with the same grades, extracuriculars, etc. and my daughter didn't submit SAT score and the other did, the other student would be picked. I get the whole thing about this but I think at the end of the day, SAT scores still matter.

Ehhh, we did it for both our kids & it was a waste of money. Both our kids got into good well rounded state schools (based on our families style and values) and both did well with pragmatic degrees, both are now working at good jobs.

The challenges HS parents focus on, strengthening academic displays and the awards etc, are light years away from the actual challenges their students will face in college, demanding interpersonal and internal resilience & tenacity.

My two cents, having done it, parents should actually take that money and go on a few family vacations before college and center their kids emotionally so they can absorb the hits coming their way. Go to the beach, have a few family movie days with a BBQ, create a solid bond the kids feel they can rely upon, or at least that is how I see it.

I know you said SAT, but perhaps these ideas will help with the SAT.

Does her high school guidance counseling office offer any suggestions?

My daughter and her classmates decided that they wanted to support each other in taking the ACT. They worked with a teacher who was great in helping kids apply and get into dream schools. The kids started their own peer to peer ACT tutoring after class. My daughter was stronger in science and English. Her friend was stronger in Math. They used practice tests and taught each other and other peers the concepts that they needed help in.

Does your daughter have a friend or group of friends who could do some peer to peer teaching?

Don't be afraid to look around in the community to see if there are other SAT prep opportunities. Our orthodontist was extremely supportive and had a very effective ACT class prep on a Saturday that was free to all patients! A retired high school principal also offered an ACT prep class. Maybe a neighboring high school has offerings, or suggestions, if your local one does not. There is a non-profit here that is called Get to College which provides help for families navigating the college prep process.
School has ended where we live. She has studied with a friend who is very, very smart. Guidance counselor has been less than helpful this past school year. I am looking around. These SAT Prep centers will probably come out to about the same price. The center we went to last year recommends she go 3-4x week, now till end of August. Classes are 2 hours a day. Includes books, mock SAT's, in person tutoring and college essay help for $6,200. It was to cost over $8k but "they're running a special now"....yeah right.

I would suggest taking the ACT instead of trying the SAT again. And although some colleges don't require testing any longer, I have also read that merit scholarships still look at them (test scores actually help level the field, as there are really great high schools, and many lousy ones.)

All 3 of my kids got scholarships based on their test scores. I had them take both tests. My son didn't qualify for the full tuition scholarship with the SAT, but did with the ACT. Huge difference between the scores. My youngest started with the SAT, and qualified for full tuition scholarship with that.
She did worse on the ACT.

Ehhh, we did it for both our kids & it was a waste of money. Both our kids got into good well rounded state schools (based on our families style and values) and both did well with pragmatic degrees, both are now working at good jobs.

The challenges HS parents focus on, strengthening academic displays and the awards etc, are light years away from the actual challenges their students will face in college, demanding interpersonal and internal resilience & tenacity.

My two cents, having done it, parents should actually take that money and go on a few family vacations before college and center their kids emotionally so they can absorb the hits coming their way. Go to the beach, have a few family movie days with a BBQ, create a solid bond the kids feel they can rely upon, or at least that is how I see it.

Very good points. Our 4 all got full scholarships to colleges that they attended. Not necessarily their top choice colleges, but colleges in state and well respected that gave them the education that they needed.

Three have graduated. 2 have great jobs in their fields and are so grateful that they went to the schools they could get a good education in and graduate in 4 years without debt. One was able to get his Masters with no debt. The other went on for a doctorate. He has debt for that degree, but a good job to allow him to pay it off and live well.

The 3rd son is starting medical school out of state in the fall.

Our daughter is a junior in college and has already had some amazing internships through her college experience and professor recommendations. So far, debt free with college giving her money in her pocket.

Our state school, which everybody wants to go to, is very difficult to get in. They just dropped their acceptance rate from 40% to 35%. I went to a meeting the HS principle was having about colleges, etc. He said for our state school, their requirements are ridiculous. Average SAT is 1350-1450, must have at least 10 AP classes and dual enrollment. My husband is on the same page as you, he practically said the same thing last night. But my daughter has her heart set on an out of state school. Yes, I know she may not (probably not) get in with her score(s) but the other side of me says help her and try.

All 5 of mine had private tutors, even my twins had different sessions because the hour was spent one on one, $60 an hour. Their homework were online timed practice tests and the’d go over not only what problems they got wrong, but why, and the thought process. Most of my kids took the SAT and ACT multiple times (mine did better on the ACT). They also worked on timing strategies. I wasn’t worried about them getting into colleges because they were applying to less selective schools to get merit (well, except for my 3.4 kid, I knew he wasn’t getting any but he wanting to attend one of our higher ranked in state publics). Group classes and tutoring centers didn’t really help.

Test optional is not test blind, only a handful are test blind. Colleges still use them for merit scholarships, and is you have 2 students with similar stats, 1 has a 35 ACT and 1 is TO, who’s getting in? Some schools still require scores. One of my daughter’s got close to $70,000 in merit from her university (and they are still using gpa-scores to determine eligibility.

Probably won’t help much.

Oh and we found tutors through word of mouth. Looking at Venmo payments it looks like our tutor works with a ton of local high school students, and folks were happy with the results.

Both of my boys did the Princeton review for free thru their cobb county high schools. Met twice a week after school for months. Did not really help either of them bring their scores up. What helped them both the most was a SAT study guide that I bought them for $20 at Barnes and nobles.

If I remember correctly from some of your other posts, you are also in Georgia. Both of my boys went to UGA - just differently. One was early admission. The other was a transfer. Both did dual enrollment at KSU - one just stayed at KSU one more year and easily transferred to UGA.

What helped my older son the most was just taking the SAT multiple times. He ended up with 2200+ out of 2400. He lucked up and got a test that was easy for him - some were not. I know how you are feeling - it can be tough getting a child into a big state school.

I've done quite a bit of work over the years with students regarding college/scholarship research. Before sinking money into additional tutoring, I'd look at specific schools she's considering to see what requirements are actually needed. I'd also look to see what scholarships are available at those schools. Collegedata.com is a great website to easily research/compare college requirements.

I feel for you. My son was like your daughter; top of the class, 4.0, high test scores. There's a lot of pressure on those kids (and much of it self-imposed) to go to the *best* school with the full-ride. My son applied to Yale and interviewed, but was rejected. He applied to 6 other schools and tried for their merit scholarships. The best offers came from the local universities that I MADE HIM apply to at the last hour. In the end, he chose the full-ride that was just 30 minutes away. Many of his "peers" scoffed at him and went out-of-state, making him feel he had settled. However, today, he works for the federal government with no college debt (two bachelors & masters, paid for by the university). He knows he made the right choice. It's hard to give them that perspective at 17 years old, tho. Good luck!

Our state school, which everybody wants to go to, is very difficult to get in. They just dropped their acceptance rate from 40% to 35%. I went to a meeting the HS principle was having about colleges, etc. He said for our state school, their requirements are ridiculous. Average SAT is 1350-1450, must have at least 10 AP classes and dual enrollment. My husband is on the same page as you, he practically said the same thing last night. But my daughter has her heart set on an out of state school. Yes, I know she may not (probably not) get in with her score(s) but the other side of me says help her and try.

Some thoughts to consider:
  1. You should post your question in the message boards on College Confidential and you'll get a lot of help there.
  2. Every state has more than 1 public state university. You need to expand your search.
  3. Need more details in order to provide meaningful advice. What is your DD's current GPA? Is she taking any honors or AP classes? What grade is she finishing up right now? What's your target budget/year that your family can afford to pay? What major(s) is she interested in?
  4. Depending on what state you live in, many neighboring states will have reciprocal agreements with nearby states where you get to pay THEIR in-state tuition rate or something like 150% of in-state tuition. For example, we're in AZ. I know from the research I've done (ODD just finished 11th grade today!) that Univ of New Mexico & NMSU both have a WUE+ scholarship that ODD would qualify for, which would make the tuition CHEAPER than attending ASU or Univ of Arizona. That plus their room & board at both colleges is cheaper than in state here in AZ, so total COA (cost of attendance) is less.
  5. Go explore some of the "Colleges That Change Lives" schools. Many of them are truly test optional and mean it. AND a lot of them have some really good merit scholarships which do NOT require submission of test scores. We toured 2 of them in Texas and ODD is going to apply this fall. https://ctcl.org/
  6. Kahn Academy has online free SAT test prep.
  7. There's free ACT test prep, too.
  8. What sort of SAT & ACT test scores did your DD get?
  9. The advice I got from our HS's senior college counselor (at a small public charter school, prior place this counselor worked at was an elite northeastern US boarding school where people paid upwards of $30-$40k/yr for their kids to attend and she gave those families the SAME advice that she gives at our school) said that the whole thing with test scores has TOTALLY changed since COVID. And now, unless you're in the 1500+ range for SAT or 35-36 ACT, it's generally not worth it to submit test scores...UNLESS you're applying for merit scholarships that DO require test scores + GPA.

Some thoughts to consider:
  1. You should post your question in the message boards on College Confidential and you'll get a lot of help there.
  2. Every state has more than 1 public state university. You need to expand your search.
  3. Need more details in order to provide meaningful advice. What is your DD's current GPA? Is she taking any honors or AP classes? What grade is she finishing up right now? What's your target budget/year that your family can afford to pay? What major(s) is she interested in?
  4. Depending on what state you live in, many neighboring states will have reciprocal agreements with nearby states where you get to pay THEIR in-state tuition rate or something like 150% of in-state tuition. For example, we're in AZ. I know from the research I've done (ODD just finished 11th grade today!) that Univ of New Mexico & NMSU both have a WUE+ scholarship that ODD would qualify for, which would make the tuition CHEAPER than attending ASU or Univ of Arizona. That plus their room & board at both colleges is cheaper than in state here in AZ, so total COA (cost of attendance) is less.
  5. Go explore some of the "Colleges That Change Lives" schools. Many of them are truly test optional and mean it. AND a lot of them have some really good merit scholarships which do NOT require submission of test scores. We toured 2 of them in Texas and ODD is going to apply this fall. https://ctcl.org/
  6. Kahn Academy has online free SAT test prep.
  7. There's free ACT test prep, too.
  8. What sort of SAT & ACT test scores did your DD get?
  9. The advice I got from our HS's senior college counselor (at a small public charter school, prior place this counselor worked at was an elite northeastern US boarding school where people paid upwards of $30-$40k/yr for their kids to attend and she gave those families the SAME advice that she gives at our school) said that the whole thing with test scores has TOTALLY changed since COVID. And now, unless you're in the 1500+ range for SAT or 35-36 ACT, it's generally not worth it to submit test scores...UNLESS you're applying for merit scholarships that DO require test scores + GPA.
1. Where do I find College Confidential? On the Disboards?
2. She is looking into other state universities, most definitely.
3. GPA is 4.0. No Honors or AP. We know that it's what colleges want, but made the decision not to put that much work, pressure, & stress on her. I've said this several times to college advisors during visits, "what do you want to see? On level courses with straight A's and 4.0 GPA? Or AP/Honors with B's and C's? " Most responded, "we just want to see good grades." But, we'll see about that. She just finishe 11th grade. We can help her with most of college tuition. She will come out with some student loan (depending on school). If it's a local, easier to get into college that just on ok school, we can cover that. She's interested in STEM: Engineering, math, physics.
4. I live in GA. We have HOPE scholarship and Zell. Zell is harder to get. Only looked into one out of state school so far. I think they said they will take some HOPE but not very much.
5. Haven't heard of "Colleges that change lives" schools. Thank you, I'll look into that.
6. She did do some Kahn Academy. Didn't help much.
7. Her first SAT was 1050. Second she dropped to 1010. Whn we went to the tutoring center yesterday, she took a 3 hour mock SAT and scored 910. Going in the wrong direction.
8. I do think she can get some merit scholarship at 2 schools she looked at. But then again, I hear merit scholarships are few and far between. The tutoring center said that most of GA colleges are requiring SAT scores.
Thank you for responding to my post. It's been a great help. I appreciate it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter