Saturday Morning Cartoon Preview Shows

RamblingMad

I'm an 80s kid too.
When I was a kid, I was always excited to watch these preview shows to see what new cartoons I would watch.

Here's the one that kicked off Save by the Bell. We all thought Saturday morning was doomed with live action instead of strictly cartoons back then. It was surprisingly good, but the sequel (not the college years) looks terrible on Peacock.

I rememebr those, usually a week or two before one evening would have the cartoon preview show for the network. It was so exciting because as a kid that's how I found out about anything - there wa sno internet and my parents for some reason didn't get Variety. ;) I can remember finding out about a movie that I wanted to see by seeing a commercial for it on TV, usually already "Now Playing." I loved Saturday mornign cartoons, especially in the 1980's - who else knows the theme song to Pole Position?

I was only kidding. I never watched the show, but had the game.

The show used the game's name but wasn't really based on it. It was more like MASK - it has one of the better 80's cartoon songs too.

How about Saturday Morning Supercade - that had Donkey Koong, Forgger, Q-Bert etc. It was fun too!

Last edited:
Ok... here were some of my favorites... (that I can think of)

Muppet Babies
Jem
PAC-Man
My Little Pony
Pound Puppies
Strawberry Shortcake
Wuzzles
Snorks
Monchichi
Get Along Gang
He-Man/She-Ra
Fat Albert
Popeye
Saved by the Bell
Pee Wees Playhouse
Alvin and the Chipmunks
Smurfs

The show used the game's name but wasn't really based on it. It was more like MASK - it has one of the better 80's cartoon songs too.

How about Saturday Morning Supercade - that had Donkey Koong, Forgger, Q-Bert etc. It was fun too!

There was also a Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon, as well as a Mario and Luigi show at some point. Can’t remember if the latter was Saturday mornings, though? 🤔

There was also a Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon, as well as a Mario and Luigi show at some point. Can’t remember if the latter was Saturday mornings, though? 🤔

The Super Mario Show. They used to also played some episodes of Zelda. I think, you can stream it on Netflix. It aired during the week like Voltron and GI Joe.

Last edited:
The Super Mario Show. They used to also play some episodes of Zelda. I think, you stream it on Netflix. It aired during the week like Voltron and GI Joe.

Is there a rewind button somewhere?!? There has to be, right?! Zelda - another awesome game - loved to play, never finished 😒

The Super Mario Show. They used to also played some episodes of Zelda. I think, you can stream it on Netflix. It aired during the week like Voltron and GI Joe.

Yes, but later there was Super Mario paired with Captain N for Saturday mornings. Also, there were two Sonic shows, one syndicated daily and the other on Saturdays - the Saturday one was more of a "serious" action advetnure type show the other more silly, like a Loony Tunes type thing.

Last edited:

Also, to add, Zelda was shown as the Friday segment on Super Mario Super Show. As mentioned above, I found out about it when it just came on as I was expecting more MArio. I am a HUGE Nintendo guy, so Mario was great, but Zelda was mind-blowing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter