Savanna view or save the extra points for a 2022 trip?

waltdisney1901

Earning My Ears
I'm thinking of booking at either Kidani or Jambo for a week in October 2021. I was hoping to get a savanna view instead of standard, which would use half of our Aug 2021 use year points. Considering the limited experiences that are offered right now, I'm not sure how much time will be spent at the parks (my party typically spends the whole day at the parks) so I'm not sure if I should splurge a bit more on the room if we're going to be spending more time in it. However, I'm also planning on another visit in 2022 (hopefully when more things are open). Is it better to use more points now to book a savanna view or save those points for the 2022 trip?

I like to stretch my points as much as I can and always opt for standard. There’s plenty of time and areas to get great views of the Savanah. Sanaa window seat being one of my favorite. If I were stuck in my room all day that’s different. Even on resort only days there’s so much to do than use the balcony for a small amount of time.

Savanna view is best at AKV for animal viewing. However, you can possibly get savanna view with a standard view room:

At Jambo, standard view results in either pool view or savanna view, and a little more than 50% of the standard view rooms actually have savanna view. However, you cannot request a "savanna view" with a standard view reservation -- the MS personnel usually just assert you cannot get savanna view unless you reserve it. Nevertheless you can make location requests (not guaranteed), and if you have standard view, best request is for room on Kudo Trail side of the building (the left side of the U-shaped building). That is because all standard views on that side have Sunset savanna views.

At Kidani, most standards have front road, bus stop, front entrance, or pool area view. However there are a number of standards on the north wing (front entrance faces west) that overlook the Pembe savanna. To possibly get one of those, request room near the Pumba elevator. Note, however, that if you succeed in getting that request, you will have a very long walk to lobby and bus station)

We've had a number of the possible experiences at AKL. We've been in a standard room that had a true "standard" view. We've been in a standard room that had a full-blown savanna view. And we've been in a savanna room that definitely had a savanna view.

If you're going to spend a big chunk of time at the resort, there's no replacement for being on the savanna. We felt like we won the lottery when we got that savanna view in our standard room, but, candidly, we booked that room only because savanna views weren't available. Getting a true standard view at the AKL is really quite a bummer if you spend any time in the room. If you'll be at the pool, in the halls, relaxing in other common areas, etc., maybe it doesn't matter. But we enjoy spending big chunks of time in the room and the savanna view room really makes the difference.

I love the savanna view rooms personally and would probably not enjoy my stay there as much having a standard view. Especially if it’s more of a relaxing trip than an open to close theme parks every day trip.

save the points. try to book a standard or value @ Jambo and if you get a standard ask for a partial savanna view. If you are lucky enough to get a value studio, you get what you get-no requests-but you save a lot of points :)

FWIW, we have never booked a savanna view through DVC, and we received a partial savanna view every single time. We have never booked at Kidani. If we ever do book at Kidani, then we will book savanna.

Oh and since i just read your post again, I am not sure a stay at Jambo would be the best for you since the restaurants and gift shop are closed. Mara is only open for grab and go for a few hours in the morning. I don't know what "limited experiences" you are referring to. parks or resort? We have been to the parks many times since reopening and we don't mind the lack of fast passes. I miss the fireworks though (Fantasmic especially).

I'm thinking of booking at either Kidani or Jambo for a week in October 2021. I was hoping to get a savanna view instead of standard, which would use half of our Aug 2021 use year points. Considering the limited experiences that are offered right now, I'm not sure how much time will be spent at the parks (my party typically spends the whole day at the parks) so I'm not sure if I should splurge a bit more on the room if we're going to be spending more time in it. However, I'm also planning on another visit in 2022 (hopefully when more things are open). Is it better to use more points now to book a savanna view or save those points for the 2022 trip?
I personally would get standard view at Jambo, and put in a request for an animal view. Many standard Jambo rooms have great animal views: we had one in 2017 in which giraffes and other animals were only a few yards away from our balcony. Right now I'm at WDW, staying at Kidani in a savanna view room, and at first they put me on the Pembe savanna, which is the crappy little savanna where you view a small patch of land bordered by ugly metal fencing and only a few very simple animals. I politely requested a room change, which I got the next day (just kept my stuff packed and let Bell Services move everything), and now I'm on the Sunset savanna, with a good view of giraffes, zebras & other interesting animals outside of my room this morning.

Moral of this story: you can pay the big bucks for savanna view and be unlucky enough to get a very poor savanna view (Disney really should have created a mid-tier category for the lower-quality Pembe savanna view at Kidani). Or you could play it cheap and be rewarded with giraffes right outside your balcony. Luck has a lot to do with it. And regardless of what's outside your room, there are a lot of animal views around the public areas of the resort, especially at Kidani.

Last edited:
We find it worth the extra points for Savannah view at Kidani. We always request Sunset Savannah and have never been disappointed. We like to spend time in on the balcony watching the animals and often find our room the "gathering room" so other members of our party can experience giraffes eating just a stone's throw away.

Moral of this story: you can pay the big bucks for savanna view and be unlucky enough to get a very poor savanna view (Disney really should have created a mid-tier category for the lower-quality Pembe savanna view at Kidani). Or you could play it cheap and be rewarded with giraffes right outside your balcony. Luck has a lot to do with it. And regardless of what's outside your room, there are a lot of animal views around the public areas of the resort, especially at Kidani.

Several years ago we had a savanna view right at the edge of the savanna, right next to the pool. We saw more people walking into the bathrooms at the pool than we saw animals.

We always thought of AKL as quiet, peaceful, sit drinking coffee while watch animals roam . For this room, we had the noise from the pool, games , music, power washers in the morning, No wonder the animals didn't roam down that way. Plus that savanna has river hogs. We were expecting giraffes .

For our upcoming trip, our kids are having a standard view (bigger room), we are having savanna view. They can come over to see animals if there view is awful and assuming our's is better.

I was very upset we spent the points for that.

Several years ago we had a savanna view right at the edge of the savanna, right next to the pool. We saw more people walking into the bathrooms at the pool than we saw animals.

We always thought of AKL as quiet, peaceful, sit drinking coffee while watch animals roam . For this room, we had the noise from the pool, games , music, power washers in the morning, No wonder the animals didn't roam down that way. Plus that savanna has river hogs. We were expecting giraffes .

For our upcoming trip, our kids are having a standard view (bigger room), we are having savanna view. They can come over to see animals if there view is awful and assuming our's is better.

I was very upset we spent the points for that.
Was this at Kidani? That's weird as I didn't know any of the savanna views were near the pool. The Kidani pool isn't next to a savanna. Do you mean Jambo? That pool is next to a savanna.

We love the savannah view My wife actually stays at the resort slot just to sit on the balcony with her coffee and laptop.... we wouldn't stay at AKV if we couldn't get a savannah room

If you haven't yet, make sure to check availability for your dates. When I helped my in-laws book rooms 2 weeks ago (we had booked ours back in Nov) for our mid-Oct trip, ONLY the Savannah rooms were available. So, you might not have a choice.

I'd do standard view. Pay attention to the sunrise/sunset times (you can google that for your dates). We booked savanna view once and never saw any animals because the animals weren't visible when we were in the room. They hadn't come out in the morning before we left for the parks, and we couldn't see any when we returned to the room because it was always after sunset.

We have stayed at Kidani three times and have always done a savanna view. Sitting on the deck and watching the animals is a great way to start the morning and end the day (if we were back before dark). Even the kids (who don't like going to zoos) loved watching the animals.

It really depends on how much you plan to be in the room vs the parks, if in the room more, I would splurge and do the Savannah view, if not, I wouldn't.

Interesting read.
Does anyone have room numbers for standard rooms that give a Savanah views?

I was all set on Kidani stays because the extra square footing plus the 2nd bathrooms too. My fear was we gained the kids splash area but faced a trek each morning for breakfast if we wanted Boma.

these different view types can be the difference of 50 points a week. Quite a chunk

Agree with others that if you’re spending a lot of time in the room, a Savanah view is worth it.

Bruce

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter