Savannah View - Kidani or Jambo. Which do you prefer?

skittles67

Mouseketeer
I am looking to book a stay in a grand villa with a savannah view for our large family. Anyone have preferences over which section to request? Is Jambo better or Kidani? What have your experiences been like? If it makes a difference, kids ages at time of travel will be 11,11, 9, and 4.

I haven't experienced grand villas, but 2 bedrooms. For the view Kidani was best by far, but I prefer Jambo since it has a quick service restaurant, gift shop, and shorter walk to the lobby. People aren't kidding about the walk at Kidani. When I was there, we were in the 2nd to last room on the corridor. I was closing on my house at the time, and had to sign documents. I kept missing one initial and had to walk back and forth to fax them. I was gone so long at one point, my brother drove his car to the lobby to look for me. No kidding!

We've stayed in grand villas at both Jambo and Kidani over the years. My now grown sons much prefer the Jambo GV due to the pool table and the giant balconies. The boys and their cousins were about the same age as the three older kids in your group for our first Jambo stay, and they had a ball with the pool table. The dining room table also seats 12 instead of just 8 at Kidani.

We've had better savanna views at Kidani though. Each time at Jambo we were assigned the HA villa which is near the pool area and the only animals we could see well were the flamingos.

We’ve done both, with the most recent trip (December) in GV at Kidani. With the kids ages that you mentioned, I think Kidani is better. My grandsons (ages 6 and 8) absolutely loved that upstairs loft with the pullout sofa and their own TV. Even though they had a dedicated bed in one of the bedrooms, they slept on that loft pullout every night. They basically “set up camp” there and enjoyed their 9 days in their own space.

I consider the GVs at both to be very good and impressive but they have differences that may affect your choice:

1. Jambo has 6 GVs and those usually book full during the 11-month window year round. Kidani GVs are often booked full before 7-months out during a number times in the high demand fall season (late Sep to marathon weekend in Jan), but are usually avaialble at 7-months out the rest of the year. Both sets of GV's have four bathrooms, one for each bedroom, and a fourth near the front door and living room.

2. Jambo GV's are all single story on the fifth floor, have a "pool table" room off the living room area, large semi-circle shaped balconies with thatched roofs for each of the bedrooms and living room area, providing ample space for sitting and for outside viewing. (One thing you should do is go to YouTube and see the rooms tours for the GVs -- just search for "Jambo grand villa" or "Kidani grand villa.")

3. KIdani GVs are all two-story on the fourth and fifth floors, with the master bedroom on the 4th floor and the other two on the fifth. Besides the fourth floor main entrance, there is an entry door on the fifth floor. However, if you have guests who cannot do stairs, there would be an issue, because the stairs are the only means of getting from one floor to the other. The balconies are fairly narrow but still useable, and impressive are the windows in the living room that are almost floor to second-story ceiling. At the top of the stairway, there is a somewhat large alcove having a queen-sized bed that pulls out from a couch, a TV, a table and place to sore clothes, and thus provides an extra sleeping area other than just the bedrooms and the pull-out couch in the living room.

4. Jambo has the larger pool and a lot of shaded areas in and near the pool area. The Kidani pool is smaller and has few shaded areas, but it has a much longer slide into the pool and has a large, impressive child (for about 12 and under) water play area. The quick service pool food and drink bars are comparable, but Kidani has a number of tables with chairs under the roof for providing shade that you can use when getting food or drinks.

5. Though both lobbies are impressive, the Jambo lobby is significantly larger, and the Jambo store is quite large, while Kindani's is quite small. (Note, if you are going during Christmas week both have trees and visiting characters in the lobby, but it is the Jambo lobby that has the New Year's Eve event including a live band in the lobby. Jambo, under the lobby on its ground floor, has three restaurants: (a) Mara, a large counter service restaurant with many tables with seats inside and another seating area with tables outside in the shade near the pool area; (b) Jiko, a very good but very expensive table-service restaurant with outstanding food and a huge variety of wines and drinks; (c) Boma, one the best buffet restaurants in WDW. Kidani has only one restaurant, Sanaa, which is a very good table service restaurant (and less expensive than Jiko). Jambo has two bar areas and a lounge area off the lobby that rises up toward the second floor with areas to sit.The only Kidani bar area is in Sanaa.

6. Each has one boarding area for the buses going to the parks and Disney Springs, not overly far from the lobby. Usually, buses going to and coming from the parks stop at Kidani first, although during the morning rush hours each often has its own bus going to MK. A few of the times I have been there, there has, although it is a fairly rare occurrence, been a bus that I got on at a park that, for no apparent reason, stopped at Jambo first before Kidani when returning from the park. There is also a bus that stops and boards near the lobby front doors that runs between the two buildings all day and evening (the distance between the two lobbies is about 1/2 mile, and one can instead walk from one resort to the other without going onto any street). The Disney Springs bus stops at Jambo first going and coming back.

7. If you have a car, parking at Jambo is in a large lot located across the street that runs pass the front of the building. Distance to the lobby is either fairly short or long depending on where you find a place to park. At Kidani, which has two wings, parking is mostly on the first floor under the building in a lot that runs most of the way from one end of the building to the other. There are three elevators along each wing, and you can usually park fairly near the elevator that is closest to your room.

8. Distance from lobby to room is a factor. The u-shaped Jambo building has six GVs three on each side. Two are not overly far from the lobby, the others are far and the last ones are right at the end of the two wings, from which the walk can be quite far. Jambo's walk from the last GV on each wing exceeds the distance from end rooms to lobby at BWV, which many who have stayed at BWV assert are very longs walks. However, both those long walks are nothing in comparison to the potential walk from room to lobby, restaruants, pool, and bus station from rooms at Kidani. The savanna view GVs are spread out over the length of both wings and there are GV's at the end of each wing. The Kidani building, end to end, is about 2/3 mile long, one of the longest single hotel-type buildings in the world (meaning on earth not just WDW). A walk from the end room on the north wing to the lobby takes between 5-6 minutes at a normal adult pace and 7-8 minutes with little kids. The south wing is a little shorter, The longest walk at BWV from end room to lobby usually takes just a little more than 2 minutes and longer with little kids.

9. I consider the two best GVs at Jambo to be the two that are not end units on the Kudo Trail side of the building that have an excellent view of Sunset Savanna. The savanna view GVs at Kidani all overlook Sunset. At Kidani, close to the lobby is a possible request that could avoid the long walk but be aware close to the lobby is the request most often made for rooms at Kidani and thus the one often declined for many because of too many requests, and when they cannot meet a location request, they just put you in any available room in your room category, which means you could end up far from the lobby.. For any savanna view rooms I get at Kidani, I usually put in a request for close to Rafiki elevator or, alternatively, close to the Timon elevator. Either request, if granted, provides rooms with good views and results in your not being very far from the lobby. The Rafiki elevator, on the north wing, provides the shortest possible trip from the building to a pool gate, while the Timon elevator on the south wing provides a fairly quick trip to a door on the second floor that leads directly to the bus station.

Last edited:
How nervous should I be about a one bedroom savannah view at Kidani walk? We've got three kids under 12 and were going to stay there four nights next year... We'll be at BWV for the first week.

I guess it depends on how young your children are and how they are when tired. I myself and my family have never minded the walk in Kidani. If you stay not far from the lobby there is no problem at all. If you are further out its a but of a walk but still not too bad IMO. There is a shuttle to take you over to Jambo id you are going there for Dining. The Disney buses pick you up just in front of the main Kidani lobby for the Parks, Springs etc. I have been there at fairly busy times and I don't find the wait for buses as bad as others have reported. I am a patient person and I guess I am lucky because my kids have always been pretty patient and not much in the way of complaining. They are older now, so no issues. Hope this made some sense and helps a little

I guess it depends on how young your children are and how they are when tired. I myself and my family have never minded the walk in Kidani. If you stay not far from the lobby there is no problem at all. If you are further out its a but of a walk but still not too bad IMO. There is a shuttle to take you over to Jambo id you are going there for Dining. The Disney buses pick you up just in front of the main Kidani lobby for the Parks, Springs etc. I have been there at fairly busy times and I don't find the wait for buses as bad as others have reported. I am a patient person and I guess I am lucky because my kids have always been pretty patient and not much in the way of complaining. They are older now, so no issues. Hope this made some sense and helps a little
Thanks for this! Walking doesnt bother us. Were planning to spend night 6, 7, 8, and 9 here, so we'll be having more down time and less park time at that point anyways. We'll be at AKL to enjoy the animals and pools!

This is personal preference, but I cannot stand being in a resort with no quick service restaurant. I will always pick Jambo over Kidani.

This is personal preference, but I cannot stand being in a resort with no quick service restaurant. I will always pick Jambo over Kidani.
This is the really the biggest downside to Kidani (Sanaa is awesome though and we love mobile order to go). You do get an extra bathroom with the 2-bedroom which is nice. However, Jambo has way more food options. Also, Kidani is the only resort that has covered parking which is great in the summer and you can cut the walk down to your room if you park in the right section of the garage. The savannah views at both are really nice. I think some of it depends on the kind of trip and the time of year. Overall though, I think I prefer Jambo.

I prefer Kidani for the giraffe and zebra and the viewing area is just outside the door, as well as being able to see the Savannah off viewing balconies on each side of the lobby.

Dee

I was able to switch at the 7 month mark to a Grand Villa savannah view! I ended up going with Kidani. I wasn't to worried about the food options or the walk. I'll place a grocery order when we arrive for breakfast, drinks, and snack items. Sanaa is one of our favorite restaurants so I can get my bread service whenever I want, lol. I am excited to finally try out a grand villa. Thanks for all the great advice!

How far apart are these 2 resorts?
About a 10-15 minute walk from the Jambo front entrance to the Kidani front entrance. And there's a shuttle that runs pretty continuously between them, not to mention that you can hop any bus as well. The park buses stop at Kidani first and then Jambo house, and the DS buses stop at Jambo first and then Kidani.

Edited to add link to resort map https://www.wdwinfo.com/maps/DAKLMap.pdf. Kidani on the left, Jambo House on the right. There's a sidewalk between them so walking is safe.

About a 10-15 minute walk from the Jambo front entrance to the Kidani front entrance. And there's a shuttle that runs pretty continuously between them, not to mention that you can hop any bus as well. The park buses stop at Kidani first and then Jambo house, and the DS buses stop at Jambo first and then Kidani.

Edited to add link to resort map https://www.wdwinfo.com/maps/DAKLMap.pdf. Kidani on the left, Jambo House on the right. There's a sidewalk between them so walking is safe.
Thank you

It depends which side of Kidani you are on. If you are on the side closer to Jambo it took us about 7 minutes at a leisurely pace. If you are on the far side of Kidani it could be 15-20 minutes.
Thank you

I prefer Kidani for the giraffe and zebra and the viewing area is just outside the door, as well as being able to see the Savannah off viewing balconies on each side of the lobby.

Dee
Also, Kidani has two bathrooms

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter