• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Saving for Disney

xchelsearae

Earning My Ears
What are some of everyone's favorite ways to set aside extra cash or budget your Disney trip? Trying to make an early 2016 trip a reality for AKL, and looking for creative ways to save!

I shop at Aldi or Sav a lot. I also coupon like a crazy woman. We don't eat out much maybe 2x month. It's worth it !!

I forgot we have the disney visa with the points so we put all of our bills on that , pay off at end of the month and reap the reward points when we go. There have been trips that have cost us nothing due to having enough points accumulated.

My DH and I each have a disney visa so we get gift cards using the money we have saved with that. My DH also works part time as a bartender and any loose change he brings home is put into a jar. We usually get a good amount from them depending on when a trip is. We have a separate savings account for vacations that we have an automatic transfer set up weekly for. From Thanksgiving to about February my DH works a lot of overtime so I usually try to put some of that in the vacation account as well, but we also use some of it for holiday expenses.

My "tricks" are mostly tricks that I play on myself.

I plan my trips assuming that I'm paying rack rate for everything. I will hopefully then find a discount of some kind which automatically leaves me an extra 20% or so (assuming room only discount at value resort).

When I'm planning a trip I, too, put everything on my disney visa. (When I'm not planning a trip everything goes on my SW visa so I rarely pay for flights). I just recently found out that I can pay my property taxes with my disney visa which will pay for a whole meal this upcoming trip!

Vacations are one of the things I save for regularly so I don't ever have to save for a specific vacation!

I plan on putting away at least 20 bucks a week (that's roughly 100 a month saved) until our tentative trip date of June 2015. That is money I would normally blow on coffee, junk food, or a trip for the four of us to a local restaurant!

My motivation:::: Id rather eat my meals at a Disney restaurant and buy snacks on Main Street :) LOL :cool1::goodvibes

Swagbucks, Mypoints, Perk, and MTurk are how I pay for the extra's on vacation.

Vacation is just part of our budget. Once you start saving regularly it just becomes a habit.

If you need help getting started, google the 52 week savings challenge. Or the $5 savings challenge.

Swagbucks, Mypoints, Perk, and MTurk are how I pay for the extra's on vacation.

Vacation is just part of our budget. Once you start saving regularly it just becomes a habit.

If you need help getting started, google the 52 week savings challenge. Or the $5 savings challenge.

I paid for our last vacation by doing surveys and secret shopping for a year... it adds up! We're going back in Nov 15 and planning to do the same thing.

This Trip (hopefully December 2015) I am going to save all my swag bucks, my points, Perk tv, and any other extra money I make this year for that. No big out to eat splurges. If we do any they will be Mickey D's and only maybe twice a month.
Anything I need to buy I am telling my self how can I save a few bucks.
It will be tight but the reward will be worth it.

I paid for our last vacation by doing surveys and secret shopping for a year... it adds up! We're going back in Nov 15 and planning to do the same thing.

My dad pays for his trips doing merchandising. I don't drive or I would do the same.

We collect all of our change and that always seems to add an extra $300. I also am more vigilant about couponing. I always pay cash for groceries with a set budget and with what I have left over, goes into the vacation account. We seldom eat out or otherwise, I'd save there too. And for bdays we usually ask for Disney Gift cards

We buy Disney gift cards when our grocery chain (Giant Eagle) has 20 cents in fuel perks. For every $50 in gift cards you buy, you get .20 off per gallon which is pretty nice!

We also collect our change throughout the year. In about a year we saved $120.

Starting in the new year, we're cutting wayyyy back on fast food, Starbucks, and eating out. For our health and our wallets. We're allowing ourselves only one meal out per month! Any extra money we're going to save.

We buy a park ticket say, 1 every 3 months from Undercover Tourist to spread out the cost. We love their customer service!!! Also, buy a Disney gift card or two a month (Target) for food budget.

We transfer 100 dollars from each paycheck (get paid every 2 weeks) to vacation account.

We also buy a Disney GC when we go grocery shopping each week.

Save change into our Disney Bank

Planning on cutting back on our eating out, so that money will goes towards Disney as well.

Those are great tips. I've seen the Disney gift cards at Target but hadn't thought about purchasing or asking for those for trip saving. Does anyone know if they ever have discount deals for the cards?

Note to self: get a Disney Visa!
We use the cards, pay em off each month so never paid interest, you'd be surprised how quickly the $ adds up. It's paid for rooms, food, gifts n a myriad of things at disney, Yeah! To me it's FREE money

I use the FSA reimbursements. I have monthly prescriptions and when I get reimbursed for the medicine it goes into the vacation spending account. That account is at a different bank and not tied to our regular checking & savings bank accounts. This is where most of our vacation funds come from; also roll coins & deposit those; Disney Visa; and cut back on excess spending

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter