Saving Mr. Banks

DisneytheKid

A bad attempt at Billy the Kid
My family and I went to go see this on Christmas and can I just say, what a great movie! I was expecting a little bit more of an upbeat film but I think it really hit the mark. Has anyone else had the chance to see it yet?

I've seen it a couple of times. I had got tickets to see it at the Disney Studios in Burbank, with a tour afterwards, and then got a ticket to watch a preview at the AMC in Downtown Disney. I loved the movie. It is sad, but we found ourselves laughing in so many parts.

Emma Thompson nailed P.L. Travers, and Tom Hanks also did a good job with Walt Disney. My favorite in the movie, though, was Jason Schwartzman as Richard Sherman, and then Paul Giamatti as Ralph - such a good character.

Both my daughter and son's girlfriend also enjoyed the movie very much.

Okay... edited to add --- I watched it three times. Some good DIS friends were in from back East, and I watched the movie with them. I thought that I might be bored the third time. I was happy to note that I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, even after the third time I watched it.

I've got to agree with MaryJo. Without giving away any plot points, there undoubtedly are some sad points in the movie but the cast does an amazing job and, just like MaryJo mentioned, there's a lot of heartwarming comedy as well.

4/5 stars for me!

I loved it. And I loved it even more when I saw Jason Schwartzman on Larry King talking about how he actually played the songs in the movie, they didn't use playback.

I thought it was just okay. Emma Thompson and Paul Giamatti were great. Tom Hanks was good too, but wasn't a convincing Walt to me. I don't much care for movies that go back and forth between time frames. And it was very sad. Was everything in the movie about her childhood true? I'll have to do some research.

Dizneefan13, from what I have been able to gather about Travers' childhood, her father did die about 2 years after they moved but of influenza. I haven't been able to find anything that suggests that anything else about her childhood that was shown in the movie was based on true events.

I enjoyed the movie quite a bit; always an Emma Thompson fan and I thought Jason Schwartzmann and BJ Novak did a completely fantastic job :woohoo:. I was a little saddened that they kinda "whitewashed" Travers' personality but I understood. If you read more about her life (the circumstances about adopting her son :scared1:) and listen to the tapes of when they were working on Mary Poppins, she was mean lady and its a wonder anyone wanted to be around her. Apparently Robert Sherman often referred to her as "that witch" while at the dinner table with his family (according to his son, Jeffrey) :rolleyes1.

I wished they had stayed a little more true to the story and I agree, dizneefan13, that it was a little confusing to keep going back and forth between timelines, but in the end, I loved the movie and teared up at the end. :sad1:

And also, Rowan, according to what I've read, her father died when she was 7. The girl in the movie seemed quite a bit older to me. And why did they put that scene with her mother in the river in there? Just for a dramatic effect? I'm one of those weirdos who thinks that truth is often more interesting and relatable than fiction. The movie just seemed a bit too dramatized for me.

yeah I know...well duh, its a movie :goodvibes

and yes, the actors were great. I too love Emma Thompson.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter