Saving while AT Disney

Belle1962

DIS Veteran
What are your best tips for saving while at Disney?

a few;

stay offsite and continually check for better deals even after you’ve booked.

join restaurant clubs/frequent eater. I joined chick fil a and have enough points for a few free meals.

not really recommended but if you’re desperate do a timeshare tour but not Westgate. I’ve scored either free tickets, cash, deeply discounted accommodations. But it will take 3-4 hours out of a day.

share snacks or meals.

bring your own water bottles and refill for free.

what are yours?

While not in an attempt to save money, I eat kid's meals at QS instead of adult meals. I find that those have more than enough food for me. Sometimes I even end up saving the fruit for later.

Lots of time a snack is a meal for me and those can be a lot less than a meal.

While not for me, you can make your meal before you go into the park and eat it there.

Buy your souvenirs before you go. You can get Disney branded stuff off Amazon, some Targets and other places.

Owning DVC has saved us a fortune and we enjoy large villas with a kitchen and W/D. I think considering a small resale should be a consideration if you go annually. If you know nothing about DVC, it will take lots of studying to truly understand how and what to buy and your potential savings...proceed carefully!

We do minimal cooking, but every meal "in" is worth at least $15-20 PP. Groceries "don't count" as we'd buy them at home anyway.

Bring dried fruit/nuts into parks in zip bags for quick energy. Bring a bottle of water.

Study menus at parks and split meals QS or order an AP with a sit down meal rather than a full meal (I find them more than satisfying).

We fly SWA and rarely pay for flights. The SWA credit card saves us at least $600/year.

Disney CC saves at WDW restaurants - blue card at others 10% is 10%.

Watch for CC cash back bonuses and buy Dis GC's with savings. This has the potential to be $1000's/year.

By far, the biggest potential savings at WDW is your time! The choices you make for accommodations, transportation and park visits (timing) can suck the life out of you or make for a magical, relaxing, efficient vacation!

First park visit 1973. DVC since 1996. Save on! :teacher:

I concur with those saying a child's QS meal is enough food for an adult-- especially when supplemented with snacks throughout the day.

Paying with a gift card in-park is a good way to monitor spending. I find paying with MB means I'm just tapping my wrist and I'm not always paying attention to what I've spent.

We never eat a restaurant breakfast. We bring granola bars, fruit, cups of instant oatmeal, etc and always eat in the room.

A few restaurants are not Disney-run, like Yak and Yeti (and of course all those in Disney Springs). We make sure to find some Landry's gift cards for Y&Y, Rainforest Cafe, T-Rex, and we signed up for the Earl of Sandwich emails to get those discounts as well.

Buy your souvenirs before you go.
Or just skip them. Most end up in the next year's yard sale anyway.
Owning DVC has saved us a fortune and we enjoy large villas with a kitchen and W/D.
Only if you compare against on-site deluxe resorts. We always go off-season, and we can always get a large condo with a kitchen and a W/D off-site for around $100/night.

Money-saving ideas, trying not to repeat the good ideas already listed above:
- Bring your own drinks for the room. This alone will save quite a bit. We are close enough to drive, and sale-purchased 12-packs of soda are a huge bargain compared to Disney's drinks. Even if you pick up fast food, having your own drinks will save a large percentage off your bill.
- Bring your own breakfast for the room -- not only is it cheaper, but it gets you into the parks early for rope-drop.
- Do not buy tickets for your first or last day (meaning, your travel days); that is, don't buy tickets unless you can spend the whole day in the parks. Instead, use those half-days to explore your own resort, go to a character buffet at another resort, watch the fireworks from outside the parks, go to Disney Springs, or any number of other things that don't require tickets. Our tradition is to go to Beaches & Cream on our first night and have The Kitchen Sink.
- Be realistic about your family's age /ability to go-go-go. For many of us, a mid-week "no parks day" is a good idea: sleep in, have a nice lunch at Disney Springs, etc.
- Be sure to bring bandaids, Tylenol and sunscreen. Those things are outrageously expensive in the parks -- and if you need them, you'll pay the cost.
- Bring your own stroller, diapers, etc. if you have small children.
- Don't haul water around; you can have an ice water from any number of places in only a matter of minutes. And it's COLD.
- Really consider off-site. We love on-site, but we can't justify the cost any more -- parking at the resorts was the straw that broke this camel's back.
- When we're walking and it's hot, we don't eat a lot of big meals -- we usually split meals and get snacks from the carts. That means we find ourselves hungry back in the condo at night. Ordering a pizza is a good, cheap meal. I also like to make up homemade ready-to-bakes at home /bring them in a cooler, so while we shower and clean up from the parks I pop into the oven a pan of enchilladas or meat balls, and we enjoy a late-night snacky meal.
- Don't haul a bunch of stuff that you don't need into the parks. When you wear yourself, you won't stay as long /won't get as much value from your expensive tickets.
- Likewise, wear comfortable shoes. Few things will make you more miserable than uncomfortable footwear.
- Buy your tickets from a reputable online seller. Can't say the name, but "the frog place" is a favorite on this board, and we personally have had excellent business dealings with them.
- Make a plan before you leave home /make sure it includes ... well, not Fast Pass anymore, but I don't know what to say about the replacement. Wandering into the Magic Kingdom's Main Street and then trying to get your family to decide what you want is a sure-fire exercise in accomplishing little and later saying, "This wasn't worthwhile."

This works for Disney but I also apply it in every day life. No unplanned spending. For example , decide before you leave what the budget is for xyz, and then stick to it. How you do that is up to you. It doesn’t mean feeling deprived on vacation, it just means doing some advance planning so that you don’t whip out the credit card every time you see something sparkly. If I see a shirt I want, then I’ve already planned my personal spending amount and if I have enough left I get it.
I find for me that can be a huge savings .. avoid impulse spending.

- We drive so save money on travel (7-8 hours)
- We used to stay on property always using discounts
- We now stay off property shopping for great rates
- We try to book within a brand (Hilton) for the POINTS to go back
- We have a Hilton CC that we use to pay for hotel that multiplies the points
- We try to book with suite / kitchenette or kitchen
- We've used SkyAuction for Sheraton Vistana & Wyndham Bonnet Creek
- We bring food!
- If no breakfast is offered we eat in the room while folks are showering
- If breakfast all know to grab apples for backpacks on way out
- If big breakfast I'll get yogurt and fruit to put in room fridge
- We pack nice lunchmeat rolls and pringles to make sandwiches for some parks
- We each carry a water bottle in to start
- Free ice water in parks BUT last trip we couldn't go in without mobile order
- When kids were young they had $30 in Disney Dollars, gone is gone
- We suggested kids wait until end of week to buy souvenir after they saw all, and as adults now they say that was one of the best rules that they would use
- Kids would ask for Disney Gift Cards for birthdays from people
- Some QS meals are large so we split them and use money saved for snacks later
- Some places have good kids meals for less and us adults buy them
- With AP I would buy our sodas IN the shops that sold bottled for the discount
- Right now Park Hoppers might not pay off with reservations, save the money
- When kids young would buy our tshirts on sale before we went, no buying there
- If you want photopass buy in advance it is discounted
- Waterparks we took in coolers with our food and drinks

For many many years with kids growing up we had the Mickey Money Jar on kitchen counter where all lose change went, kids contributed too. Was a family effort to save as much as possible before and during the trip ... they knew it meant the next trip came sooner.

Last edited:
Use our credit card rewards for flights and rental cars. Bought a DVC timeshare 18 yrs ago for $12k so it paid for itself years ago. I rent out a portion of our points so that it covers the annual dues for the DVC. Then all we have to spend money on is to eat. We generally eat off property. Take our own drinks and snacks into the parks. Joined the RainForest club years ago and they give us a $25 birthday credit every year that we can use at RainForest. Eat breakfast late at Disney (10:45 is the latest breakfast reservation you can get) so that it covers breakfast and lunch so that you are not hungry till dinner time then we eat off property. Earl of Sandwich is a cheap place to eat too. Blaze pizza is economical as well.

Use our credit card rewards for flights and rental cars. Bought a DVC timeshare 18 yrs ago for $12k so it paid for itself years ago. I rent out a portion of our points so that it covers the annual dues for the DVC. Then all we have to spend money on is to eat. We generally eat off property. Take our own drinks and snacks into the parks. Joined the RainForest club years ago and they give us a $25 birthday credit every year that we can use at RainForest. Eat breakfast late at Disney (10:45 is the latest breakfast reservation you can get) so that it covers breakfast and lunch so that you are not hungry till dinner time then we eat off property. Earl of Sandwich is a cheap place to eat too. Blaze pizza is economical as well.

yes! All of this! How do you do tickets?
(Even though it is an out of the park question). Discounted gift cards? Or the hoppy wholesaler?

Do you know if they still have a rainforest club? I love this idea and just went to see if the birthday gift expires, but am only seeing a Landry Select club?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter