Savi's Workshop Recent Experiences

RoseColored97

DIS Veteran
Has anyone done this recently? We are wanting to possibly book this for September but I haven't heard much about it lately (experience good? variety of lightsabers to build? etc).

Has anyone done this recently? We are wanting to possibly book this for September but I haven't heard much about it lately (experience good? variety of lightsabers to build? etc).
We did that last summer, so not exactly recent, but my son loved it. It was a highlight of his trip. They had a few different components to choose from to make a custom saber. You get to pick what color the blade will be, too. They also gave him a carrying case afterwards.

We did that last summer, so not exactly recent, but my son loved it. It was a highlight of his trip. They had a few different components to choose from to make a custom saber. You get to pick what color the blade will be, too. They also gave him a carrying case afterwards.
That sounds awesome, thanks for sharing your experience!

My 14yo son (loves to collect light sabers) did it on Sunday, he is happy with the lightsaber he built. You have 4 different 'drawers' of hilt pieces to select from, and each drawer has 2 options for each piece. Don't believe you can mix between drawers, but can buy pieces in store afterwards, as well as different color crystals.

It is ~$230 after taxes. During our stay there were plenty of openings all day long. I booked a slot 30 minutes before we were getting ready to leave so didn't have to carry it around all day. His session was only a bit over 1/2 full.

The staff was nice, but the woman leading the ceremony talked a bit quiet and was talking pretty fast through the script, which gave a bit of rushed feeling. Can tell it's a grind on them checking people in and getting through ceremony every 20 minutes.

My 14yo son (loves to collect light sabers) did it on Sunday, he is happy with the lightsaber he built. You have 4 different 'drawers' of hilt pieces to select from, and each drawer has 2 options for each piece. Don't believe you can mix between drawers, but can buy pieces in store afterwards, as well as different color crystals.

It is ~$230 after taxes. During our stay there were plenty of openings all day long. I booked a slot 30 minutes before we were getting ready to leave so didn't have to carry it around all day. His session was only a bit over 1/2 full.

The staff was nice, but the woman leading the ceremony talked a bit quiet and was talking pretty fast through the script, which gave a bit of rushed feeling. Can tell it's a grind on them checking people in and getting through ceremony every 20 minutes.
On our last visit I was really divided on whether I should do this or not. I looked at the cost, read the reviews, watched videos on-line and decided the sabre and experience wasn't worth the money and instead opted for a X-Wing fighter helmet for the man cave.
I saw a lot of ppl carrying their custom sabres around the park but for that kind of dough I really want a WOW experience but just didn't get that vibe. I know everyone's opinion is different but I have just as many happy memories when I gander at the helmet vs seeing a sabre on the wall. Especially since I spent the almost $200 difference on my DD24 during that trip! :)

Our youngest did his in March and it was just as magical and amazing as when my hubby did his in 2919 and our eldest did theirs in 2020. Nothing like the first time for the wow factor (assuming you,ve avoided spoilers), but I still tear up at the end and I’ve witnessed it three times so yup, still totally worth it in my book!

On our last visit I was really divided on whether I should do this or not. I looked at the cost, read the reviews, watched videos on-line and decided the sabre and experience wasn't worth the money and instead opted for a X-Wing fighter helmet for the man cave.
I saw a lot of ppl carrying their custom sabres around the park but for that kind of dough I really want a WOW experience but just didn't get that vibe. I know everyone's opinion is different but I have just as many happy memories when I gander at the helmet vs seeing a sabre on the wall. Especially since I spent the almost $200 difference on my DD24 during that trip! :)
Yeah, definitely theme park overpriced. But figuring in all the overpriced stuff, it's a drop in the bucket. A few years ago I probably would have balked at it, but after a couple health scares last year i'm more in the 'say yes' zone.

Have bought him a couple of the more upscale lightsabers in past (not Disney) for around same money... at least those are rechargeable and can cycle through the colors...but as said, he is happy with this one.

Yeah, definitely theme park overpriced. But figuring in all the overpriced stuff, it's a drop in the bucket. A few years ago I probably would have balked at it, but after a couple health scares last year i'm more in the 'say yes' zone.

Have bought him a couple of the more upscale lightsabers in past (not Disney) for around same money... at least those are rechargeable and can cycle through the colors...but as said, he is happy with this one.
I hear ya greg9x. Those life moments can definitely bring things into perspective and are very relatable to me. Sounds like I missed out on a great experience. Adding this to the "to do list" on our next visit.

We did it this past May. My 8yo daughter and I both really enjoyed the experience. However, the lightsabers haven’t seen the light of day since we got home. 😂😒

Referring back to greg9x, it's all about the experience, right! I don't think we would trade those moments with our kids for anything. Even if the lightsabers are tuck away out of sight when you come across them in the years to come when doing your spring cleaning it will bring an absolute smile to your face. guaranteed!

My husband and daughter did it on Friday, the really enjoyed it. If you are flying home see if you can get the sabers shipped; it wasn’t a big deal for us on our flight home but it could have been had we not planned well for our carryon gear. I would not put them in checked baggage as I don’t think the cases would protect them from getting smashed against hard luggage

Last edited:
My husband and daughter did it on Friday, the really enjoyed it. If you are flying home see if you can get the sabers shipped; it wasn’t a big deal for us on our flight home but it could have been had we not planned well for our carryon gear. I wold Not put them in checked baggage as i don’t think the cases wouldnt protect them from getting smashed against hard luggage
Great tip!

My husband and daughter did it on Friday, the really enjoyed it. If you are flying home see if you can get the sabers shipped; it wasn’t a big deal for us on our flight home but it could have been had we not planned well for our carryon gear. I wold Not put them in checked baggage as i don’t think the cases wouldnt protect them from getting smashed against hard luggage
Second planning.

I was on a flight from Orlando and just before the doors were closing, a guy came running on board (clearly one trying to push his arrival at MCO as far as possible) - with a pack that was clearly a light saber in his hand. The overhead bins had been closed for a while and he started pitching an absolute tantrum about “This cannot be checked! It has to go overhead!” I think he was on the verge of getting removed from the flight for his histrionics when some angel offered to gate check their bag.

And then the jerk didn’t even have the manners to say thank you. Just stood there tapping his foot while the angel got their bag out. (I did hear a flight attendant offer the volunteer a free drink and/or snack box for their kindness.)

So if you are one who pushes their getting to the airport as far as possible, I’d plan to ship it home.

I will be partaking of this for the first time on October 1st. Glad to hear it has been a great experience! I believe I will select the Protection & Defense set of parts. Should be fun!

Second planning.

I was on a flight from Orlando and just before the doors were closing, a guy came running on board (clearly one trying to push his arrival at MCO as far as possible) - with a pack that was clearly a light saber in his hand. The overhead bins had been closed for a while and he started pitching an absolute tantrum about “This cannot be checked! It has to go overhead!” I think he was on the verge of getting removed from the flight for his histrionics when some angel offered to gate check their bag.

And then the jerk didn’t even have the manners to say thank you. Just stood there tapping his foot while the angel got their bag out. (I did hear a flight attendant offer the volunteer a free drink and/or snack box for their kindness.)

So if you are one who pushes their getting to the airport as far as possible, I’d plan to ship it home.
Sounds like he was just a jerk in general, not just because he had a lightsaber.

I think people here on the DIS are pretty good planners/time managers...comes with the territory of being on a planning site! But always a good reminder to arrive to the airport with enough time to stow away luggage and get into a seat with as little stress as possible. Of course if there are extenuating circumstances (hello 1.5 hour wait for TSA!), there isn't much that can be done about getting to a flight later than ideal. Makes me wonder if he was late for some other reason besides a character flaw (poor time management) and was lashing out because of the stress from that. Still a jerk for having no manners and still unfortunate for that passenger who was showing kindness to get the brunt of it.

Sounds like he was just a jerk in general, not just because he had a lightsaber.

I think people here on the DIS are pretty good planners/time managers...comes with the territory of being on a planning site! But always a good reminder to arrive to the airport with enough time to stow away luggage and get into a seat with as little stress as possible. Of course if there are extenuating circumstances (hello 1.5 hour wait for TSA!), there isn't much that can be done about getting to a flight later than ideal. Makes me wonder if he was late for some other reason besides a character flaw (poor time management) and was lashing out because of the stress from that. Still a jerk for having no manners and still unfortunate for that passenger who was showing kindness to get the brunt of it.
Oh, I fully agree he likely was a jerk anyway.

The TSA lines are well publicized at MCO - even on a light day the non-PreCheck line can be 30-45 minutes or more (and PreCheck sometimes is just as bad when people randomly get assigned it) and you can regularly find discussions about "how late can I push it to get to MCO and make my flight". Before I got PreCheck I'd regularly encounter people screaming from the back of the TSA line that they were going to miss their flight at MCO - add the length of the lines to people seemingly having gotten to Orlando by some other way yet having to fly home as they are clueless as to what to take out (and Orlando TSA being obnoxious in general - requiring things to be removed others don't require to be removed (e-readers in particular)) and it's a hot mess. And yet people will still push their time in the parks and get to MCO with less than an hour.

I'm just saying if I were going to have something that valuable I'd sacrifice park time to make sure I was at the airport in plenty of time - and probably pay for priority boarding to make sure I had overhead bin space. I fully get that I'm not most people though. :)

I'm just saying if I were going to have something that valuable I'd sacrifice park time to make sure I was at the airport in plenty of time - and probably pay for priority boarding to make sure I had overhead bin space. I fully get that I'm not most people though. :)
You are not alone Dug720. I am a planner and would do the same as you mentioned.

My husband and daughter did it on Friday, the really enjoyed it. If you are flying home see if you can get the sabers shipped; it wasn’t a big deal for us on our flight home but it could have been had we not planned well for our carryon gear. I would not put them in checked baggage as I don’t think the cases would protect them from getting smashed against hard luggage
My son just tucked it next to him on the window seat, and then when had aisle he had it half under the seat and in the gap between us... he was pretty good about storing it, I didn't even notice it. Would worry about it getting broke in overhead bin if other luggage shifted. But yeah, thought about putting in checked luggage and that seemed like a bad idea.

When my daughter flew home with her light saber, she put the black carrier with the blade in a mailing tube. The hilt was wrapped in a sweatshirt in her carryon. We had no problem. Both went in the overhead bins. I have since then ordered her a canvas cover for her light saber. It was something like $50 from Shop Disney. If I were to do it again, I would purchase that and forget about the mailing tube. I think I would still separate the blade from the hilt though. My daughter is neurologically compromised and if anything happened to her much anticipated and coveted lightsaber we would never hear the end of it.

I will comment that TSA at SNA were wonderful. They knew exactly what it was and were very careful. We flew home that trip with a lightsaber, 2 droids and a big Porg puppet. I had collapsed the boxes in my check in luggage, taken the batteries out of everything and the droids and hilt were in my daughter’s carryon and the Porg in my carryon.

Last edited:
When my daughter flew home with her light saber, she put the black carrier with the blade in a mailing tube. The hilt was wrapped in a sweatshirt in her carryon. We had no problem. Both went in the overhead bins. I have since then ordered her a canvas cover for her light saber. It was something like $50 from Shop Disney. If I were to do it again, I would purchase that and forget about the mailing tube. I think I would still separate the blade from the hilt though. My daughter is neurologically compromised and if anything happened to her much anticipated and coveted lightsaber we would never hear the end of it.

I will comment that TSA at SNA were wonderful. They knew exactly what it was and were very careful. We flew home that trip with a lightsaber, 2 droids and a big Porg puppet. I had collapsed the boxes in my check in luggage, taken the batteries out of everything and the droids and hilt were in my daughter’s carryon and the Porg in my carryon.

Yeah, the TSA doesn't mind these things, especially at SNA or MCO. The folks in Orlando see countless Disney merch going through - a Disney shopping bag is the officail luggage of MCO! 🤣 I once had an elaborate Trader Sam's Tiki Mug that an agent flagged to examine. Another agent apologised to me and said she was newly transferred there and that they wouldn't have flagged it. Once it is called for though, they have to do it. It was fine, just a bit of a pain to have it all openedup from the styrofoam. Generally, they are good about that stuff though.

In fact, the TSA has a page about lightsabers specifically:
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/light-saber

1692719244062.png

🤣

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter