Saw an article about some Canadian cruisers being denied

I understand there are many in the US who did not receive any such documentation. Whether they somehow managed to walk off without it, or none were available, or simply not given out

I had not heard that. Are they being refused a card?

Also thanks for the info on the vaccine types. I didn't know older vaccinations still had variations in them.

There hasn’t been a lot of clarification yet from DCL on the vaccine types or the non us citizens having to be tested. My understanding is it’s because the US is requiring those arriving from other countries to be tested and DCL is lining up with that policy. We are hoping in the coming days to get more clarification, in writing. Calling in to the call center is getting a variety of replies! Also hoping the cruise industry comes together with one set of rules for boarding requirements!

I downloaded the images to my phone, which should do for now. Once Canada comes up with a proper card/QR code/whatever we'll be able to use that, I hope.

If vaccinated for covid in Ontario the doses have been entered into the Ontario government's database by the facility/provider who administered them.

You can go to this Ontario government website to get a downloadable PDF copy of the official "receipt" for each of your doses, which is your official record for each dose: https://covid-19.ontario.ca/book-vaccine/ Yes, the page is the booking an appointment for a dose page. Choose second dose and go through it as if you were booking a second dose. You will quickly come to a page that gives you two options: get a copy of your vaccine receipt or book an appointment. Choose the vaccine receipt. You can then download both receipts as PDFs. It will open them to view, make sure you save them to your device.

SW

There hasn’t been a lot of clarification yet from DCL on the vaccine types or the non us citizens having to be tested. My understanding is it’s because the US is requiring those arriving from other countries to be tested and DCL is lining up with that policy. We are hoping in the coming days to get more clarification, in writing. Calling in to the call center is getting a variety of replies! Also hoping the cruise industry comes together with one set of rules for boarding requirements!

I would think they also need to clarify what the arriving from outside the US means in terms of US residents. How long ago is the "arriving" and is the timeframe different for someone who lives in the US vs lives outside the US. Also what about someone who lives outside the US but arrives in the US some period of time before their cruise (ie cruise is part of a longer US trip) eg weeks before ? Hopefully they will have a FAQ with some clarifications.

SW

I would think they also need to clarify what the arriving from outside the US means in terms of US residents. How long ago is the "arriving" and is the timeframe different for someone who lives in the US vs lives outside the US. Also what about someone who lives outside the US but arrives in the US some period of time before their cruise (ie cruise is part of a longer US trip) eg weeks before ? Hopefully they will have a FAQ with some clarifications.

SW

I agree, I hope they provide more clarification.

I had contacted DCL yesterday to inquire about the "arriving from outside US" and as far as the CM knows, it means that non-US citizen would not be exempt from the required tests and insurance.

I also gave the example of staying at Disney for a week before, but that doesn't change anything. I didn't think it would, I thought that it would be best to ask.

So, as far as I was told, it really isn't about arriving from outside US (as I thought they may be including US citizens that have travel internationally) or that there is any time frame. It appears that it essentially means that you have to be a fully vaccinated US citizen.

I wish they would just say that and it wouldn't be so ambiguous - "(only for US citizens)".

I do hope they change this policy for countries that provide an approved vaccination and countries that are doing quite well.

Vaccine proof is very different from province-to-province here in Canada as well. In Ontario our paper slip can be easily forged, while other provinces have been issued plastic cards. Some proof-of-vaccinations show both doses, while ours in Ontario only shows the second dose, but notes 2 doses were administered. So very inconsistent.
I received confirmation of both doses by email. They came the same day as the vaccination. Everyone I know received a confirmation for both doses. We are in Ontario. Did you check your spam to make sure your first confirmation didn't go there?

I received confirmation of both doses by email. They came the same day as the vaccination. Everyone I know received a confirmation for both doses. We are in Ontario. Did you check your spam to make sure your first confirmation didn't go there?
Yes. We all received both dose confirms. But since the second says 2 valid doses administered and friends of ours only used that (which sounds logical because it's like final report card vs the mid-term report card -- once you get the final, the mid-term is moot), why would the first even matter? If you have the second, you obviously had the first. This is even sillier now having two pieces of proof, lol. But anyway, we'll bring them both just to be covered. On top of it all, anyone with Word and the most basic skills can forge one of these paper slips.

If vaccinated for covid in Ontario the doses have been entered into the Ontario government's database by the facility/provider who administered them.

You can go to this Ontario government website to get a downloadable PDF copy of the official "receipt" for each of your doses, which is your official record for each dose: https://covid-19.ontario.ca/book-vaccine/ Yes, the page is the booking an appointment for a dose page. Choose second dose and go through it as if you were booking a second dose. You will quickly come to a page that gives you two options: get a copy of your vaccine receipt or book an appointment. Choose the vaccine receipt. You can then download both receipts as PDFs. It will open them to view, make sure you save them to your device.

SW
Just tried this and it didn't work. I might be missing something. It only gives me
You can book COVID-19 vaccine appointments through either:
It doesn't have an option for getting a copy of vaccine receipt.

Yes. We all received both dose confirms. But since the second says 2 valid doses administered and friends of ours only used that (which sounds logical because it's like final report card vs the mid-term report card -- once you get the final, the mid-term is moot), why would the first even matter? If you have the second, you obviously had the first. This is even sillier now having two pieces of proof, lol. But anyway, we'll bring them both just to be covered. On top of it all, anyone with Word and the most basic skills can forge one of these paper slips.
I think this is one reason why the provincial governments have been pressuring the feds to put something together. Our records are in the health database - we just need a safe way to pull that info out so we can show people as needed or plop into the ArriveCan app.

Just tried this and it didn't work. I might be missing something. It only gives me
You can book COVID-19 vaccine appointments through either:
It doesn't have an option for getting a copy of vaccine receipt.

You have to continue through further as if you are booking a vaccine appointment.

Choose "Continue" in option A:

Then on the next page check you have read and understand the terms of use and check continue.

Then on the next page fill in the identity verification information and continue. You need your health card for this step.

Then you finally get to a page with the below; choose continue in the yellow "vaccination receipts" box and you are taken to a page where it lists and you can download your "COVID-19 vaccination receipts".

SW

I agree, I hope they provide more clarification.

I had contacted DCL yesterday to inquire about the "arriving from outside US" and as far as the CM knows, it means that non-US citizen would not be exempt from the required tests and insurance.

I also gave the example of staying at Disney for a week before, but that doesn't change anything. I didn't think it would, I thought that it would be best to ask.

So, as far as I was told, it really isn't about arriving from outside US (as I thought they may be including US citizens that have travel internationally) or that there is any time frame. It appears that it essentially means that you have to be a fully vaccinated US citizen.

I wish they would just say that and it wouldn't be so ambiguous - "(only for US citizens)".

I do hope they change this policy for countries that provide an approved vaccination and countries that are doing quite well.

They need to be explicitly clear exactly what they mean even if it takes them a couple paragraphs to explain it.

I have both US and Canadian citizenship. I live in Canada. I was vaccinated first dose with AstraZeneca and second dose with Pfizer, in accordance with Government of Canada guidelines.

My sister, who I live and travel with, only has Canadian citizenship. She received two Pfizer doses.

My sister meets the current CDC definition of fully vaccinated, while I may not. But if DCL goes with "US citizen" instead of a residency rule, when she would need testing while I might not (depending if DCL would allow mixed dosing). Even though we live and travel together. Which makes no sense.

Plus what about all the non-citizens who live in the US ? Permanent Residents (i.e. "green card" holders), people on work or student visas, etc etc ? If the rule is for "US citizens" would that mean they have to be tested even though they live in the US ? Really DCL ??

So they really do need to clarify their expectations/intentions. Explicitly and clearly, so there are no gaps and confusion.

SW

Last edited:

For Ontario at least, if you download the two vaccine receipt PDFs from the Ontario government, each one is an Adobe PDF that has security features: among them, it is not editable, and it is signed by the Ontario government. For these reasons, it would be easy for officials it was electronically submitted to to tell if someone was using the original version or a version that came from another source (e.g. scan of a printout of the original or some other source).

Coming back to Canada, the ArriveCan app for Canada requires both dose certificates to be submitted. see https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/t...inated-travellers-entering-canada#how-to-meet

For Ontario at least, if you download the two vaccine receipt PDFs from the Ontario government, each one is an Adobe PDF that has security features: among them, it is not editable, and it is signed by the Ontario government. For these reasons, it would be easy for officials it was electronically submitted to to tell if someone was using the original version or a version that came from another source (e.g. scan of a printout of the original or some other source).

Coming back to Canada, the ArriveCan app for Canada requires both dose certificates to be submitted. see https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/t...inated-travellers-entering-canada#how-to-meet
Update: Looks like you can log into the OntarioHealth portal and get receipts :)
---
Our pdfs are definitely not signed. It's just an exact pdf of the paper slip. Anyone can create that and make a pdf exactly the same as that one. It wouldn't work if someone tried to ping the database to verify though of course. But fraud of these is already a business. I never got an email for my second dose. Just the paper. But based on that link you sent it sounds like I can just take a pic of the receipt and upload it into ArriveCan. Definitely we could use a cohesive federal approach.

Last edited:
They need to be explicitly clear exactly what they mean even if it takes them a couple paragraphs to explain it.

I have both US and Canadian citizenship. I live in Canada. I was vaccinated first dose with AstraZeneca and second dose with Pfizer, in accordance with Government of Canada guidelines.

My sister, who I live and travel with, only has Canadian citizenship. She received two Pfizer doses.

My sister meets the current CDC definition of fully vaccinated, while I may not. But if DCL goes with "US citizen" instead of a residency rule, when she would need testing while I might not (depending if DCL would allow mixed dosing). Even though we live and travel together. Which makes no sense.

Plus what about all the non-citizens who live in the US ? Permanent Residents (i.e. "green card" holders), people on work or student visas, etc etc ? If the rule is for "US citizens" would that mean they have to be tested even though they live in the US ? Really DCL ??

So they really do need to clarify their expectations/intentions. Explicitly and clearly, so there are no gaps and confusion.

SW

I agree that clarification needs to happen. We have a trip booked in January with our niece and her partner. Both are US citizens, but are in school in Scotland and have gotten their vaccines there. The part that is confusing to me is that the Disney website states that they would need to get tested in the country they reside in, but then it states that it needs to be done within 5 days of cruising. But they will be arriving in the US 8 days before we board the cruise, so how does that work? I'm hoping that things get clearer after they have a few sailings under their belt.

Update: Looks like you can log into the OntarioHealth portal and get receipts :)
---
Our pdfs are definitely not signed. It's just an exact pdf of the paper slip. Anyone can create that and make a pdf exactly the same as that one. It wouldn't work if someone tried to ping the database to verify though of course. But fraud of these is already a business. I never got an email for my second dose. Just the paper. But based on that link you sent it sounds like I can just take a pic of the receipt and upload it into ArriveCan. Definitely we could use a cohesive federal approach.

The Ontario PDFs, at least the ones you download from the govt website, are electronically signed. You can see the signature in Adobe. I don't know what the other provinces and territories have done with theirs though. One would *hope* they have digitally signed their certificates as well, but if yours is an indication then perhaps some neglected that important step.

I did not get an email for my first dose because the pharmacy did not enter my email address into the system. I did get an email receipt for the second because they entered my email in when I got the second dose.

You have to continue through further as if you are booking a vaccine appointment.

Choose "Continue" in option A:

View attachment 592099

Then on the next page check you have read and understand the terms of use and check continue.

Then on the next page fill in the identity verification information and continue. You need your health card for this step.

Then you finally get to a page with the below; choose continue in the yellow "vaccination receipts" box and you are taken to a page where it lists and you can download your "COVID-19 vaccination receipts".

View attachment 592101

SW
Thank you so much. I never would have gone in that far. Fear of messing something up. Now we have both copies so again, thank you!

Thank you so much. I never would have gone in that far. Fear of messing something up. Now we have both copies so again, thank you!

Glad to help.

It would be so much easier if they just gave a straight out link for people to go in and get their receipts :-)

SW

I'm guessing because clinical trials were not done with mixing and matching and the CDC has advised only done when under very rare circumstances this is why the cruise lines have this set up. It's just really unfortunate because other countries are doing mixing and matching as I understand it largely due to supply. Without knowing how the mixing of the vaccines affects the vaccination rate they are probably up between a rock and a hard place and erroring on looking for what the CDC considers.

The mRNA vaccines function very similarly which I believe is why they have been able to more comfortably say they can accept Pfizer and Moderna depending on the cruise line but neither have been studied in clinical trials for actually mixing them together.

I expect the information to evolve over time but can understand, even as poor of a communication this seems to have been to potential cruisers, where they are at on the mixing and matching part.

The Ontario PDFs, at least the ones you download from the govt website, are electronically signed. You can see the signature in Adobe. I don't know what the other provinces and territories have done with theirs though. One would *hope* they have digitally signed their certificates as well, but if yours is an indication then perhaps some neglected that important step.

I did not get an email for my first dose because the pharmacy did not enter my email address into the system. I did get an email receipt for the second because they entered my email in when I got the second dose.

View attachment 592115
So I did the download today from Ontario Health site. It's actually a totally different looking receipt than the one they email you (and give you a paper copy) after you actually get the shot. So inconsistent. Two completely different styles of Ontario vax receipt.

So I did the download today from Ontario Health site. It's actually a totally different looking receipt than the one they email you (and give you a paper copy) after you actually get the shot. So inconsistent. Two completely different styles of Ontario vax receipt.

I compared the one they emailed me with the one I downloaded. You are correct that they are different styles.

The one that is emailed reminds me of something formatted for easy reading on a mobile device. I wonder if they formatted it in that style for that reason ?

SW

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter