Saw "Brave." Love Merida. Wish the movie was just a little better.

I loved the movie!
As the 'sometimes a little too controlling' mother of a strong-willed daughter, I felt this movie hit a little too close to home. ;)
We shall see what my fate is in about ten years. :)

I don't think either are going anywhere anytime soon. Tiana's still hanging around too, though that movie doesn't get the attention it deserves in my opinion.

AGREE!!!

Princess and the Frog is a family favorite, even among my boys!! I always gasp when people say they have no interest in seeing it. :eek:

I don't think either are going anywhere anytime soon. Tiana's still hanging around too, though that movie doesn't get the attention it deserves in my opinion.

I agree! I love that movie. It has a lot of old school Disney mixed in with more modern Disney.

I'm a little worried about Brave. I was going to take my very strong-willed four year old. Is she going to like it?
:confused3

As a mother of a future teenager, I adored the story. Because a time will come when my sweet girl thinks I'm mean, unfair or even a monster for trying to help her learn what she needs to know to make it in this world. Pretty much every teenage girl and mother go through that battle of wills, of letting go, growing up and accepting each other for who they really are as individual people and not just as mother and daughter. I thought it was a beautiful story of that process.

Did I love it as much as Toy Story? No. But I still lived it.

ROFL as the mother of a 12 1/2 year old girl I can relate. In fact we came out of the movie *** possible spoiler*** and I asked her if I was in any 'danger' of a future spell.....

I loved Brave - my husband thought the story was a little meh. We brought our 3 1/2 year old daughter to see it and she enjoyed it and didn't get too scared.

I think I loved it because it was, at it's heart, a story about a mom and her daughter who had grown apart. It was an amazing story with beautiful visuals.

I thought the movie was absolutely beautiful to watch, but I also thought the story was so-so. It was inventive, but it felt like it was missing something, it almost felt rushed. I love Merida, I think she's an awesome role model to girls that princesses don't have to be perfect and wear pink (although there's nothing wrong with that, either).

Absolutely loved Brave. I'm almost 100% positive that Merida is my new favorite Princess.

It's definitely worth seeing!

I have to say, I loved Brave. As the mom of a DD, 13...some of the looks she gave her mom were just so real, and just sooo familiar to me. :rotfl2: I like the fact that she is not the typical princess, and there are so many great messages in the film for girls specifically. DD loved it as well.

What's not to love? The scenery is beautiful, I laughed, I cried, the story was great, it is visually stunning...(I wanted to reach out and touch Merida's hair)
The one thing I was surprised at is that I thought the triplets would be in there a little more, but otherwise I thought it was great.

Of course, everyone has their own tastes, and preferences, but imho I liked it a lot more than many other Disney/Pixar films.

Okay, I must disagree. I loved the film.

First of all, Merida is a strong female character who knows what she wants and is determined to get it. She sends a positive message to young girls, exemplifying how you can decide your own destiny, and you don't need a man to live happily ever after.

The scenery in the film is absolutely gorgeous.

And then I was pleasantly surprised to find that the film was about Merida and her mom (I tried to avoid spoilers). This is unique because most princesses don't have moms or don't spend much time with them throughout the film. I was really glad to see that Merida had a strong mother who was with her throughout the entire story. I feel like this plot is so much more relatable than other princess plots - her mother has expectations which she must live up to, but she wants to be her own person. She has to find a balance between being a lady and having fun - this is what girls are dealing with today. Women are struggling with now taking on the once-typical male role, while still having to maintain the female image.

I am very happy that Disney/Pixar has created a princess who the young girls of this generation can look up to. I hope that Merida becomes a staple, and I think that especially because she was created by Pixar, she will be around for a while.

I would like Disney to embrace their new, ambitious princesses and add Tiana, Rapunzel, and Merida to princess character dining.

We saw the movie last night and I loved the movie and the characters. Merida,teaches us that as women we can rescue ourselves, we don't need a prince to ride in on a white horse. The whole story was about growing up, making mistakes taking ownership of those mistakes and working to rectify them. It was a beautiful story and visually stunning. I intend on going back to see it again.

We saw the movie last night and I loved the movie and the characters. Merida,teaches us that as women we can rescue ourselves, we don't need a prince to ride in on a white horse. The whole story was about growing up, making mistakes taking ownership of those mistakes and working to rectify them. It was a beautiful story and visually stunning. I intend on going back to see it again.

I agree also. We finally have a princess that doesn't need a man to waltz in wearing his shiny armor atop his white horse, and marry her to make her happy. I think it sends an amazing message to girls. Yes, you can be empowered, and you don't need a man to make you happy. I went into the theater knowing I would be disappointed if she got married at the end.

If we hear about a teenage couple getting married, many (not all) people freak out. But, it's okay if we have Disney movies that show girls that they should get married as teenagers.

Personally, I thought Brave was a beautiful movie; the animation was exquisite, and everything was so incredibly beautiful. There were many reasons to laugh, and i don't laugh out loud often, but I did many times in this movie. The movie had a great message, and Merida is absolutely lovable.

However, Once the movie ended, I thought, "Wow, that was short." I MISSED THE MUSIC. I won't share any of my predictions to save from spoilers, but I just felt like the movie was so predictable that I knew it wasn't going to be that. Not a lot of plot twists. And I won't name any, but I felt like certain characters/ideas could have been developed a bit more to have a better impact. ****Possible Spoiler?*** I wished there had been an actual villain. I missed that.

Overall, I did enjoy the movie. It was very good!

Now, as for the Rapunzel/Tiana tangent,
Rapunzel: I LOVE her. She's a girl who has dreams (Just like me!), and will do whatever she can to achieve them. She isn't looking for love, but her love develops from an enemy, to a friend, and then into love. In the end she is compassionate enough to give her life for him, which is what love is about in the end. And it isn't all sunshine and daisies. The characters and songs are fantastic. The plot makes you have a roller coaster of emotions!
As for Tiana: The most UNDERATED modern Disney movie. It is a fabulous story, with a fabulous villain, and fabulous characters. Like Rapunzel, she doesn't need a guy, she's chasing her dreams! Both girls show that you have to work for what you want. Naveen is annoyingly lovable, and I cry every time I watch the movie, mostly because of the Evangeline part. And the music is amazing in this one as well!

Novel finished. :thumbsup2

We saw Brave at a sneak preview two weeks ago. Absolutely loved it and Merida. We really enjoyed the movie. It wasn't an overly complex plot but my favourite aspect was that there was no "true love" that every single Disney Princess movie has. It was original and more about Merida being a strong independent girl/woman. Don't get me wrong, I love the classic Princess stories but this was very original when compared to the regular Disney princess formula.

I didn't like Tangled at all, nor so I care much for Rapunzel so for me there is no comparison at all. Also, Tangled was Disney whereas Brave is Disney/Pixar.

Also adored the La Luna shot at the beginning.

For those of you who read the big spoilers on page 2- at least take heart that the person posting them totally missed a huge part of the point which makes their complaint not really make sense.

We all really liked the movie, DH and DD were completely satisfied, but I felt like it needed an extra *something*. I'm not exactly sure what, but it was worth my money even for the 3D.:3dglasses

With a title like this thread has, anyone who doesn't want a spoiler shouldn't be reading it, IMO.

That said, there really have been no spoilers, as the description people are calling a spoiler is made by someone who obviously hasn't seen the movie.

We liked it much more than Robo caused me to expect! We were all crying, there were audible gasps in the theater (which was fairly packed) as the triplets were obviously going to do what they do that causes what happens to them to happen (gosh, how specific LOL). And I was one of the gaspers, even though I know "who" has been appearing with Merida at Disney, because it was well done IMO.

I was surprised at the scary scenes. I thought it was a pretty intense movie for kids, and didn't offer as many cute kid moments. It felt like a Disney movie for adults.

It's a PG movie. Worth paying attention to before taking kids!

Never saw Tangled. I was planning to see Brave, but dislike the plot device ..... I don't care how sappy happy the ending is. I'll pass.

You really should see the movie so you know what ACTUALLY happens. What you've said isn't what happens.

I've taken out the "info" given in deference to those who feel it's a spoiler, but I don't think it is, because that's not really what happens.

See the movie.

This is unique because most princesses don't have moms or don't spend much time with them throughout the film.

Dang, good point.

:rotfl:

No. I actually have a vague recollection of a school play somewhere back there. It just didn't grab me as something I wanted to see. Probably ought to see it anyway. I felt that way about Hunchback and it's one of my favorites.

Tangled is a "take" on the Rapunzel story, not THE Rapunzel story. You NEED to see it. It's amazing. (I wanted to avoid it, too, b/c the Rapunzel story bores me, but it's very very different. Long hair, name, and a tower are the only similarities)

I agree also. We finally have a princess that doesn't need a man to waltz in wearing his shiny armor atop his white horse, and marry her to make her happy. I think it sends an amazing message to girls. Yes, you can be empowered, and you don't need a man to make you happy. I went into the theater knowing I would be disappointed if she got married at the end.

If we hear about a teenage couple getting married, many (not all) people freak out. But, it's okay if we have Disney movies that show girls that they should get married as teenagers.

Well now before we go all girl power about the movie, what about the fact that the young men end up empowered as well?

And while we can assume that she's a teen, they don't ever tell us how old she is. She's got womanly curves, which not every teen girl has developed (I was the only one in my group of friends who was curvy by HS graduation (but my friends were all stick-skinny)); she might very well be older than we think.

Also, stay for the very very end!

I really loved the movie! That being said, I thought the middle was a little slow, and I understand the reasoning behind the "fishing" scene, but it just seemed a little odd, and I think they could have found some other way to convey the same sentiments and moved the storyline along. I also think the "chase through the castle" part was a little drawn out, the brothers were cute, but it was a bit much.

I loved the music, I loved the beginning and the end, and I adored Merida! She is my kind of princess!

Just have to say that while I agree it's good for girls to have a role model who emphasizes girls who are empowered, it's also important to remember that in the eras where stories like snow white and Cinderella take place there were arranged marriages and girls did marry young. Those are classic fairy tales from hundreds of years ago and Meridas story is made up and Rapunzels and tianas were changed to be more modern. While I love Merida and Tiana, all the princesses have certain traits and values that I think all girls should aspire to have. Being humble, hard working, kind, unselfish and believing in dreams are all qualities that are important and special. Girls should remember this in these times of not so good role models that have less than admirable morals.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter